Mosconi Cup table playing easy

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Europe the table is supplied and set up by Diamonds European distributorship, new, then sold only at a slightly used discount, as Diamond tables are in great demand world wide, so there's never a fire sale on used Diamonds:grin:

Glen

So are you confirming its brand new factory rubber and how would that play different (if at all) on day 1 than day 3?we all know the cloth settles but is there an added effect when new cloth is used with new rubber on day 1?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
In that last match partnered with Apple, Mark Gray hit a ball into the Middle diamond on the side rail and the object ball still pocketed.....

JoeyA

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just signed on to say the same thing. It's a diamond, so the pockets are supposed to be pro cut right? That cloth is super fast, is that why its taking balls in. Ive seen balls hit waaay up on the rail and at a good speed (considerably faster then pocket speed) that are going in. These are balls that would rattle or spit out on a gold crown at my local pool hall or my home table. Really absurd. Especially the 7 ball that Gray just shot to make it hill hill[

That's no joke right there. The diamond table at the local pool hall I play at has old 860 and pockets that are pro cut. It takes virtually nothing. I could not believe that 7 went in. The damn ball hit around the second diamond and outside english with cloth and friendly rails did the rest. If that would have been at the place I am heading to tonight, it would have hit off the outside tit and wouldn't even be close. Unbelievable.

Then you have the crowd. I have no clue why they are allowed to shark their asses off. I understand you are supposed to block that out, but even Shane stopped on the last match to talk to the ref and he had to address the crowd to show some respect AND reset his clock. WTF? I don't get it.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So are you confirming its brand new factory rubber and how would that play different (if at all) on day 1 than day 3?we all know the cloth settles but is there an added effect when new cloth is used with new rubber on day 1?

Diamond has no reason, nor would they ever replace Artemis cushions with Artemis cushions just before any match, regardless of the event....just because. They're the best cushions in the world, so replacing them on a new or used table for this event would be a total waste of money and effort.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just signed on to say the same thing. It's a diamond, so the pockets are supposed to be pro cut right? That cloth is super fast, is that why its taking balls in. Ive seen balls hit waaay up on the rail and at a good speed (considerably faster then pocket speed) that are going in. These are balls that would rattle or spit out on a gold crown at my local pool hall or my home table. Really absurd. Especially the 7 ball that Gray just shot to make it hill hill

I guess no one seems to understand that the angle in which a ball comes into contact with a rail on the way to a pocket, combined with the speed in which the ball is traveling makes a huge difference in whether or not that ball is going to be pocketed or not. There is NO rule on any table that if a ball comes into contact with a side rail 2 diamonds up from a corner pocket that the ball should NOT go in if it just grazes the side rail on the way in, it's all about ANGLE of contact. New cloth reduces friction induced side spin there for letting the ball to continue rolling with a forward spin instead of picking up a sideways spin during that grazing contact with the rail 2 diamonds up. Add a little more speed to that same shot, won't go in. Add a little more humidity to that same shot, won't go in. Add a little bit more angle to that shot, won't go in. Play 100 hours on that table, which helps to create friction by removing the smoothness of the new cloth, ball won't go in.

I guess all you complainers really DON'T know all that much about how pool tables are suppose to play, which may explain why you're all WATCHING this event, instead of playing in it!!!

Glen

PS, maybe the pockets on the GCs at your local pool hall are screwed up and don't play right anyway, everyone of them that I've ever worked on certainly were, but maybe those were the lucky few Brunswick built right:thumbup:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I guess no one seems to understand that the angle in which a ball comes into contact with a rail on the way to a pocket, combined with the speed in which the ball is traveling makes a huge difference in whether or not that ball is going to be pocketed or not. There is NO rule on any table that if a ball comes into contact with a side rail 2 diamonds up from a corner pocket that the ball should NOT go in if it just grazes the side rail on the way in, it's all about ANGLE of contact. New cloth reduces friction induced side spin there for letting the ball to continue rolling with a forward spin instead of picking up a sideways spin during that grazing contact with the rail 2 diamonds up. Add a little more speed to that same shot, won't go in. Add a little more humidity to that same shot, won't go in. Add a little bit more angle to that shot, won't go in. Play 100 hours on that table, which helps to create friction by removing the smoothness of the new cloth, ball won't go in.

I guess all you complainers really DON'T know all that much about how pool tables are suppose to play, which may explain why you're all WATCHING this event, instead of playing in it!!!

Glen

PS, maybe the pockets on the GCs at your local pool hall are screwed up and don't play right anyway, everyone of them that I've ever worked on certainly were, but maybe those were the lucky few Brunswick builtright:thumbup:

Have you watched any of the Mosconi? Just because you take months to repair a table and leave it unplayable during that time frame doesn't exactly make you an authority on it either. You aren't playing on it either. Nor do you have the right to be condescending in regards to the equipment I (we) play on daily just because it isn't setup the way "you" would do it.

It is glaringly obvious that table is taking balls in that other newly covered diamonds do not. We have all watched and some of us have shot on newly covered tournament diamonds. It is so obvious that someone created a thread here. Others have also mentioned it even mentioning specific shots. Hell I signed on not knowing this thread existed just to post about it. The jacked up 1 ball that Darren hit hard and drew the cueball across and behind the 2, while was a great shot, should have rattled. He hit that ball hard, jacked up and with speed and contacted that rail going in. A 3 ball dropped on a break from Shane last minute, that ball came into the rail at a big angle and still dropped somehow.

That 7 ball from Gray would have rattled on a damn Valley. Whoever said that ball hit at the second diamond was being pretty generous, it hit above that. That 7 ball was not right next to the rail when he shot it either, it was a good 4 inches off the side rail. That table may be tougher in other aspects like the rails with banking and kicking and the skidding and the speed of it (which I think is playing a part in the pockets being so receptive).

Hell you even start making excuses for the balls going in. (add humidity, new cloth reduces friction, add a bit more speed, etc etc).

Everyone says 9-ball is too easy for the pros, maybe that's because rquipment like this is making it easy. Hell put that diamond up there after just 1 month of play on it and there would be far less Break and Runs and far less balls dropping that contacted a rail on the way in. I only watched Day 2, not Day 1, but I dont remember seeing anything really "rattle" and stay up. Every shot that I saw that I would have thought would have rattled and stayed in the jaws has fallen.

I love you PS about every gold crown you came across was screwed up and didnt play right. Perhaps not all the tables you have come across are setup wrong. Perhaps there is something wrong with your setups...

PS, I liked your posts better when you were banned.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is glaringly obvious that table is taking balls in that other newly covered diamonds do not.

Well... I got my brand spanking new Diamond Pro Am table less than three weeks ago. I've put , oh, maybe 50 hours on it. It takes all the balls this Mosconi cup is taking. I expect it to tighten up, but it take a lot of balls, similar to the TV table often would take at these major tables.

My pockets are tighter than 4 1/2", point to point by using a tape measure and by using balls. The opening of mine are "smaller" than what I've measured at DCC. But still, they're taking some poorly hit balls. Could be the cloth.

Freddie <~~~ great hitting the balls poorly

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
Have you watched any of the Mosconi? Just because you take months to repair a table and leave it unplayable during that time frame doesn't exactly make you an authority on it either. You aren't playing on it either. Nor do you have the right to be condescending in regards to the equipment I (we) play on daily just because it isn't setup the way "you" would do it.

It is glaringly obvious that table is taking balls in that other newly covered diamonds do not. We have all watched and some of us have shot on newly covered tournament diamonds. It is so obvious that someone created a thread here. Others have also mentioned it even mentioning specific shots. Hell I signed on not knowing this thread existed just to post about it. The jacked up 1 ball that Darren hit hard and drew the cueball across and behind the 2, while was a great shot, should have rattled. He hit that ball hard, jacked up and with speed and contacted that rail going in. A 3 ball dropped on a break from Shane last minute, that ball came into the rail at a big angle and still dropped somehow.

That 7 ball from Gray would have rattled on a damn Valley. Whoever said that ball hit at the second diamond was being pretty generous, it hit above that. That 7 ball was not right next to the rail when he shot it either, it was a good 4 inches off the side rail. That table may be tougher in other aspects like the rails with banking and kicking and the skidding and the speed of it (which I think is playing a part in the pockets being so receptive).

Hell you even start making excuses for the balls going in. (add humidity, new cloth reduces friction, add a bit more speed, etc etc).

Everyone says 9-ball is too easy for the pros, maybe that's because rquipment like this is making it easy. Hell put that diamond up there after just 1 month of play on it and there would be far less Break and Runs and far less balls dropping that contacted a rail on the way in. I only watched Day 2, not Day 1, but I dont remember seeing anything really "rattle" and stay up. Every shot that I saw that I would have thought would have rattled and stayed in the jaws has fallen.

I love you PS about every gold crown you came across was screwed up and didnt play right. Perhaps not all the tables you have come across are setup wrong. Perhaps there is something wrong with your setups...

I think the pocket facing angle on the new diamonds make them loose down the rail, a pool hall in cincy that I frequent opened the angle and it makes them play way tighter with same pocket size. But for rotation I like the proams tbh. But for one pocket I like something that plays tougher.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Well... I got my brand spanking new Diamond Pro Am table less than three weeks ago. I've put , oh, maybe 50 hours on it. It takes all the balls this Mosconi cup is taking. I expect it to tighten up, but it take a lot of balls, similar to the TV table often would take at these major tables.

My pockets are tighter than 4 1/2", point to point by using a tape measure and by using balls. The opening of mine are "smaller" than what I've measured at DCC. But still, they're taking some poorly hit balls. Could be the cloth.

Freddie <~~~ great hitting the balls poorly

You must feel like a champion at home then... Id love to see a re-created shot of Gray's 7ball on a table with pockets tighter then 4 1/2.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You must feel like a champion at home then... Id love to see a re-created shot of Gray's 7ball on a table with pockets tighter then 4 1/2.

Right now, it's disgusting what my table is taking. It'll tighten up. It's Florida.

What I am saying, however, is that the way this Mosconi table is swallowing bawlz isn't unheard of on a 4 1/2" (or smaller) pocketed Diamond with new cloth.

I just sent you a video. I'm hitting about 2 diamonds up.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
Right now, it's disgusting what my table is taking. It'll tighten up. It's Florida.

What I am saying, however, is that the way this Mosconi table is swallowing bawlz isn't unheard of on a 4 1/2" (or smaller) pocketed Diamond with new cloth.

I just sent you a video. I'm hitting about 2 diamonds up.

Nice video. Was glad you see you shot it from an angle I got to see your handsome-ness in LOL.

Yes, I agree. That is a bit disgusting. I think Gray's hit a bit higher then the second diamond, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to video and send it. You were at the US Open. While I did see balls there that I know wont go in at home or local poolhalls, did you see anything as drastic as what was going on in the Mosconi in regards to the pockets being so receptive? This table seemed to play considerably faster then what was being played on at the Open also (which im sure is a part of the receptiveness).

Im still jealous of your table and your pool room in general. Would kill for that space and setup.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice video. Was glad you see you shot it from an angle I got to see your handsome-ness in LOL.

Yes, I agree. That is a bit disgusting. I think Gray's hit a bit higher then the second diamond, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for taking the time to video and send it. You were at the US Open. While I did see balls there that I know wont go in at home or local poolhalls, did you see anything as drastic as what was going on in the Mosconi in regards to the pockets being so receptive? This table seemed to play considerably faster then what was being played on at the Open also (which im sure is a part of the receptiveness).
This Mosconi seems faster than I and everyone expected, but if it were less humid here, I can only imagine what a skating rink my cloth would be. Maybe it's the run of this year's cloth? It's not the Diamond that's different.

Im still jealous of your table and your pool room in general. Would kill for that space and setup.

Thanks Heath. I'm not ashamed to say, I deserved this!!! Nothing pleased me more than my 24 year old daughter visiting her old man and playing on the Diamond on Thanksgiving!!!!

Freddie <~~~ winning!

JMuck

Silver Member
Did anybody notice the lights mounted under the table.The overall lighting intensity and associated heat is probably greater on this table than anything streamed throughout the year.Every surface is slick and fast.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Can't handle the truth, go back to the NPR forums, I've been working on pool tables for over 30 years, how long have you been working on them. I know every thing there is to know about the Diamond tables, since I was instrumental in the design of them, what part were YOU involved in?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Did anybody notice the lights mounted under the table.The overall lighting intensity and associated heat is probably greater on this table than anything streamed throughout the year.Every surface is slick and fast.

Lighting plays a major role in keeping the cloth dry and crisp, which increases balls sliding a lot before they start rolling.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think the pocket facing angle on the new diamonds make them loose down the rail, a pool hall in cincy that I frequent opened the angle and it makes them play way tighter with same pocket size. But for rotation I like the proams tbh. But for one pocket I like something that plays tougher.

Diamond has had the same pocket angles on their 9fts for about the last 13 or 14 years that I'm aware of, corners are 141 miters, 15 down, and side pockets are 102 miter and 15 down. The 7fts went through some pocket changes over the years as well as slate shelf depth changes.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
The table is so easy that players are shooting caroms instead of straight ins, just to open the table up more ---- like a bar table.

Hitting below the second diamond and the ball going in, is nothing short of a joke. New cloth, old cloth. Hot lights, moon light. Don't matter.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Diamond has had the same pocket angles on their 9fts for about the last 13 or 14 years that I'm aware of, corners are 141 miters, 15 down, and side pockets are 102 miter and 15 down. The 7fts went through some pocket changes over the years as well as slate shelf depth changes.

I thought I heard the pockets changed to 142 or 143 several years ago. I say this because Corey was stating it was at that time the Euros starting winning every Mosconi Cup. He had to be 'convinced' this was not the reason the USA was losing.

Obviously you working for and designing every aspect of the table for Diamond would know better than me.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I thought I heard the pockets changed to 142 or 143 several years ago. I say this because Corey was stating it was at that time the Euros starting winning every Mosconi Cup. He had to be 'convinced' this was not the reason the USA was losing.

Obviously you working for and designing every aspect of the table for Diamond would know better than me.

With those miter angles no one would make a ball on a Diamond unless they were splitting the pocket down the middle.

JMuck

Silver Member
Balls are pocketing easier but kicks are playing wide and speed control is difficult.A bit of a wash if you ask me.The table is playing differently and not necessarily easier.The pockets may tighten a little by the end of the event.I think they were tighter today than yesterday.Many balls in hand first two days.