Mosconi Cup week 2018

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
47576096_10156674531645115_719301194085826560_n.png

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess. I've just never put much thought into lag winner. Maybe that's been our downfall over the last bunch of years. Headline: "U.S. is a bunch of laggard laggers. Film at eleven." ;)

I think he's right that the US has actually under-performed on the lag for quite a few years, its not the only reason for the change in fortunes, but it probably is a factor.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1st match is cracker. The leading MVPs of both teams clash.
Looks like Chamat putting Kaci in cold storage getting him out of way until Match 4 (hoping presumably that Europe get to 9-9 before he plays Kaci? )

Actually Europe is getting better and gaining momentum every session
USA led Day 1 20-14 racks, Day 2 : 20-18 racks but Day 3 Europe led 21-20 racks.
Their fightback started after Feijen/Kaçi beat Deuel /Styer. But Shaw screwed up failing to run out open table in hill hill vs Sky. If Shaw had won, Europe would have won the session and just trailed USA 7-8.
But it may be too little too late for Europe. No team has ever lost after first getting to 9 points (in the new format race to 11 since 2007).

Bookies give Europe about 10% chance of winning, huge drop from heavy favorites pre-event. :D

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone have any stats on winning lags? Just wondering if there is any collation between the USA success and winning the lag this year? IIRC last year we didn't fair too well in those stats

AtLarge reported yesterday that USA won 8 of the 15 lags....
...which is far better than usual.
It can be a big thing in short matches....every hill-hill match...lag winner gets the crush.

Yes, USA has won 8 of the 15 lags so far this year and won 7 of those 8 matches. Europe has won 7 lags so far and won 5 of those 7 matches.

Four matches have gone hill/hill so far and the winner of the lag (2 for each side) won all 4 of those matches. Two of the 4 wins (1 for each side) were by B&R.

Last year, the team that won the lag won every match (4 by USA, 11 by Europe), but the year before that the winner of the lag won just half of the matches.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree.

It's not the level of play on either side, it's the rolls. The US has had a loooong spell of getting horrific rolls at all the worst times -- and it seemed like the Europeans always came out smelling like rose water. This year the US is getting some pretty good rolls and that is the big difference.

Lou Figueroa

10 years of bad rolls, now that's something for a statistician. one would think that the amount of racks played in those years would even it out, but what do i know.. can there perhaps be another irrational factor involved, like a spell cast by a voodoo hex master?

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
This could be a short day.

I have no faith in Duell. If it gets to that match there will really be a momentum shift.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Played in 4 (3 doubles, 1 singles), won 3 (2 doubles, 1 singles).

[Excludes the teams match]

Oops, you're right. So Woodward is definitely the MVP. And if he wins this first match to get USA on the hill then it's a lock. Ouschan vs. Woodward is gonna be crazy. Woodward already took down Kazakis and Shaw, let's see if he can pull this off. Styer took down Feijen and Thorpe took down Kaci. I think it's important to note that Albin is the only one that hasn't lost a singles match.

Kris_b1104

Silver Member
Match #2 is gonna steal the show.

Headline will read: YOU DON'T STAND ON THE KING'S CHAIR

I'm sure Shaw has seen what Tyler said about him in the interview.

Kris_b1104

Silver Member
Here's my insane prediction.

The last time USA won was in 2009 and it was SVB that delivered the last 9-ball to win the trophy with a score of 11-7. I predict Europe is gonna make a comeback and it will go down to match 5 with USA leading 10-9. It will be SVB vs Kazakis to decide who wins. If Kazakis wins and ties it up, it will go to Captains pick. If Shane wins, he will make it come full circle.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oops, you're right. So Woodward is definitely the MVP. And if he wins this first match to get USA on the hill then it's a lock. Ouschan vs. Woodward is gonna be crazy. Woodward already took down Kazakis and Shaw, let's see if he can pull this off. Styer took down Feijen and Thorpe took down Kaci. I think it's important to note that Albin is the only one that hasn't lost a singles match.

Woodward's also been gifted several games, most notably the hill-hill vs Shaw. Out of the 10 players, Ouschan has been by far the steadiest and most consistent.

Doesn't mean that Woodward's not perfectly capable of beating him, but it's not as if Sky's played like Superman.

Kris_b1104

Silver Member
Woodward's also been gifted several games, most notably the hill-hill vs Shaw. Out of the 10 players, Ouschan has been by far the steadiest and most consistent.

Doesn't mean that Woodward's not perfectly capable of beating him, but it's not as if Sky's played like Superman.

I agree, even though he's won more matches than Tyler, I think Tyler averages far less mistakes than Woodward.