Mosconi cup

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, other than Earl the early pool players (before the 90's) were garbage. Efren proved that. Secondly, Europe didn't play "american pool" but look how quickly they caught up? Why? Because the usa players fundamentally speaking were garbage.
Thirdly, a world cup with teams...not usa against Europe...that's a country against a continent..... If there already is one then no need for the mosconi cup.

Lastly, Mosconi couldn't play 9 ball to save his life...just watch him and Fats butcher the game on an 8 ball table with buckets. The old guys were straight pool players who ran up scores because the tables had buckets.

i see the latest iteration of this retard troll isn't banned yet. ignore will do

jeremy8000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
earl is probably certain. filler or shaw is the question. we'll soon know.
While I'd love to see Earl vs Jayson for the (admittedly small) chance Earl would channel his inner youth and bend Shaw over his proverbial knee, I'd rather see SVB in there to give us our best shot at the W.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LURv46V.jpg

Looks like it's been a rough 4 years for Thorpe...

Besides the extra facial hair, he doesn't look any different.

It's not like he's gained 50 lbs

My biggest impressions so far:

-Tyler Styer came to play. That's a big X-factor for the USA.
-Earl Strickland is melting down way too early. I'd like to see him more focused coming into Day 2.
-Europe's safety play was shockingly bad in Day 1 compared to their usual standard.
-The side pockets are ridiculous.
-The break looks tough to figure out

Looking forward to Day 2!

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, other than Earl the early pool players (before the 90's) were garbage. Efren proved that. Secondly, Europe didn't play "american pool" but look how quickly they caught up? Why? Because the usa players fundamentally speaking were garbage.
Thirdly, a world cup with teams...not usa against Europe...that's a country against a continent..... If there already is one then no need for the mosconi cup.

Lastly, Mosconi couldn't play 9 ball to save his life...just watch him and Fats butcher the game on an 8 ball table with buckets. The old guys were straight pool players who ran up scores because the tables had buckets.
Buddy Hall, Nick Varner,Steve Mizerak, Siegel ???

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I'd love to see Earl vs Jayson for the (admittedly small) chance Earl would channel his inner youth and bend Shaw over his proverbial knee, I'd rather see SVB in there to give us our best shot at the W.

everybody gets to vote, meaning viewers in asia, europe etc. so earl is probably a lock, vs whoever the general public deems the most boisterous euro player. they want drama so it's not going to be tyler vs albin

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, when 3/4 of Americans are overweight it's no surprise that people start to think fat = normal.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, other than Earl the early pool players (before the 90's) were garbage. Efren proved that.
So you are using one example, the GOAT, to say that American players were garbage. Even the GOAT wasn't guaranteed money against those guys...

complied by Mike Burch

Efren Reyes named Mike Sigel, Johnny Archer and Earl Strickland as his three toughest opponents. Buddy Hall said that he beat Reyes and his backers out of $10,000 despite being so hung over he had to drink three pots of coffee! Kreole Freddie confirmed this account on the tampabilliards.com website, saying that Reyes had beaten Sigel, Strickland and Wade Crane. But when Reyes played Hall, the Rifleman "crucified" him. When I saw Buddy Hall shoot in his prime, he was untouchable. So for nine-ball, for the cash, Buddy Hall is almost my number one player of all time. But there is one player that I think was better and still improving when he died in his prime ...

Secondly, Europe didn't play "american pool" but look how quickly they caught up? Why? Because the usa players fundamentally speaking were garbage.
Define quickly. Europeans have been playing pool since Mosconi.
from Wikipedia:
The World Cup of Pool is an annual international single-elimination tournament for doubles teams in nine-ball pool competition.

In fact, your reigning champions are playing for Team Europe in the Mosconi, Acaide and Sanchez Ruiz.

SVB and Sky were runners up a couple of years ago, and SVB and Rodney Moriis won it in 08.

The Mosconi Cup is a special tournament specifically for US vs. Europe. Kind of similar to Ryder Cup in Golf. It is not marketed, nor is it supposed to be a "World Championship" or "World Cup". It is not designed to feature the "best" team in the world.

It is simply the 5 top US players facing off against our brethren across the pond. It is fun. It is intense. It evokes national pride. It gives something for the guys to shoot for and a great payday at the end of the year.

It does not have to be everyone's cup of tea...in fact, you don't have to watch it, read about it, support it, or pay any attention to it whatsoever.
Mosconi would give you the orange crush, playing onehanded, with his off hand, and jacked- up, with a wooden broomstick, and rob you. Even after being deceased the last 30 years. :cautious:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Before the festivities begin today I have one more observation to make. This one is about the Euro team and how they conducted themselves yesterday. First of all they never allowed the crowd (even when they were making noise when Euro players were shooting) to bother them. They still followed their routine and remained focused on the match. At no time did I ever see them complain or appear to be distracted.

IMO they were true professionals and acted as such. That’s what I saw. I expect to see more of the same today. I don’t think yesterday’s outcome will affect them that much. I do expect to see more great play by all five of them.

Even though they are ahead 3-1, USA has their work cut out for them. They have to do it again today and the pressure will be even greater. Team Europe is not going away! They sharpened their minds and their swords overnight and I fully expect them to come out with guns blazing.

I’m looking forward to fireworks today. Hoping Earl can hold it together and not allow anything to get to him. I think he will be tested.

something_pool

Registered

I think this must be a satire account...

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is expected that euro fans will pick Earl because currently, he is the weakest link on Team USA. It is unfortunate that a fair percentage of US fans will pick him as well because they want to see a meltdown. It has a higher than 50/50 chance to lose a critical point imho. If Earl manages to win that would be huge, but he was so rattled after the first shot he had on day one I'm not sure what is or isn't possible for him. I'd much prefer to see the top players from each team get selected but I will be rooting for whoever we have in there.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, when 3/4 of Americans are overweight it's no surprise that people start to think fat = normal.

But he's not fat. That's the point. You seem to think there's a big difference when at most he might have gained 10 lbs.