Mother drills?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'd be happy to show you Dave.
:thumbup:

My question was totally light-hearted. I know no one is going to say:

MOTHER DRILL 1: DO this--- that, and other things--- this way.
... etc.

I was merely ribbing my friend Scott who yelled at me for saying he (and a bunch of other well known info guys), never posts 100% of everything. I know no one does (me included) and that was my tiny insignificant point.

Personally, I hope if someone wants to learn them - they do what's right and pay the guys who invented them - but that's just me. :)

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Any golfers out there? Do you ever go to the driving range? Why?
It's not to hit a golf ball into the hole....there is no hole!
You go to work on your golf swing.
You go to work on your distance (in pool, it's speed)
You go to work on your alignment.

The things you do at the driving range could be described as nothing more than hitting balls.
The Mother drills could be described as nothing more than hitting balls.
But if we have a specific goal we are trying to accomplish, both can be very beneficial to our game.

Mother Drills are designed to reenforce the things we teach in pool school. If you haven't learned those things, it's not likely that they are going to be very effective.

If you are at the driving range, you need to know what a good swing feels like in order to know if what you are doing is right or not.

Pool school teaches what a good stroke is. Mother Drills simply help you develop it.

Steve

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
Dave,
I knew what you were doing.
This is the reason that there aren't any 'online instructors'.
Ok, maybe there's one or two who think that everything you'll
ever need is on their website.

On a more serious note, let me know the next time you're stopping in.

... etc.

I was merely ribbing my friend Scott who yelled at me for saying he (and a bunch of other well known info guys), never posts 100% of everything. I know no one does (me included) and that was my tiny insignificant point.

Personally, I hope if someone wants to learn them - they do what's right and pay the guys who invented them - but that's just me. :)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the reason that there aren't any 'online instructors'.
Ok, maybe there's one or two who think that everything you'll
ever need is on their website.
Websites can provide a lot of useful information and advice, but only an instructor can actually "work with" an individual. I don't think the "value" an instructor provides is information (e.g., the "Mother Drills" or the "CTE procedure"). People can get more information than they need from books, videos, and websites. The true value of personalized instruction is in getting help with diagnosing potential problems in one's game and getting individualized recommendations on what to do to improve. No book, video, or website can do this.

Regards,
Dave

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually Dave, if you (or anyone) want to spend the time wading through my 5000+ posts, you will find references to all the mother drills...ALL of them...right here, where you can read about them...for free. :D That still doesn't mean you'll know what to do with them, or how to effectively utilize them, to improve your process!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

So what are all the mother drills?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave,

The mother drills are great and wonderful, damned near magic. However nobody can comprehend them just by having them explained or diagrammed on the internet you need one on one time with a master to be able to use them . . . . Let me know when this starts sounding familiar!! :D :D :D

Hu (humor guys, don't get too excited)

Its funny, I thought the exact same thing! In a humurous way of course.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

... etc.

I think that is how we all took it. I figured you of all people knew that a basic internet explanation would do little justice for the mother drills. I would still love to know how CTE works though. Once you have used the mother drills and get a straight repeatable stroke, you still have to know where to hit the OB with confidence.

Gmanpoke

Banned
I'll give an endorsement for the Mother Drills.

I play BCA here in Oklahoma City, really tough league with some strong players. The last 2 sessions I was ranked between 20th and 25th at the end of the session. I would guess there are about 60 to 70 players. I took a lesson from Scott on 1/15/2010. I'm been doing my Mother Drills and matching up with some real strong players (James Walden). As of right now (only a couple of weeks left in the session), I'm ranked 2nd.

I don't think I would have had the same results without the instructions. I think its important to understand what you're doing and why. It's also important to have your mantra and to have your instructor help you determine your measurements.

I now have an expandable folder that I take with me to practice. And, I mean practice. When someone asks me to play, I tell them no thanks. My folder has the booklet Scott provided me, a ruler, adhesive dots, and a bag of rubber bands. Its just like going to the office for me.

I can't say everyone will improve the same as I have. The instructions and Mother drills are important in the process of improving but I think the desire (I don't mean yea I'd like to get better, I mean true desire to improve) and dedication are just as important. At least this is my story.

For anyone who really wants to improve, I recommend calling Scott or one of the other instructors. I don't remember Scott and I doing this, but I suggest discussion your expectations at the beginning of your lesson. I think you should talk to your instructor about goals. My goal is to become an A player.

Steven

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a believer of the mother drills for C players and lower, I wish I would have had that training when i was playing that speed. I'd be a better player today forsure. So if you play around that speed sign up for them.

I have nothing bad to say about them,

pooltchr

Silver Member
I am a believer of the mother drills for C players and lower, I wish I would have had that training when i was playing that speed. I'd be a better player today forsure. So if you play around that speed sign up for them.

I have nothing bad to say about them,

That's funny. I happened to catch a pro player practicing using something very similar to the Mother Drills a couple of months ago. Either she doesn't know she isn't a C or lower player, or has some crazy idea of working to maintain the highest possible level for her game.

Mother Drills are simply a way to develop or maintain the skills taught in our pool schools. They work for anyone who understands that maintaining flawless fundamentals is critical to success.

You are correct that the drills are not for everybody. Only for the people who want to play their very best game.

Steve

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
That's funny. I happened to catch a pro player practicing using something very similar to the Mother Drills a couple of months ago. Either she doesn't know she isn't a C or lower player, or has some crazy idea of working to maintain the highest possible level for her game.

Mother Drills are simply a way to develop or maintain the skills taught in our pool schools. They work for anyone who understands that maintaining flawless fundamentals is critical to success.

You are correct that the drills are not for everybody. Only for the people who want to play their very best game.

Steve

Hhmmmm what pro would that be? I'm going to guess Kelly, but heck it could be Allison, Kim, or Val since I've seen them doing it as well. I haven't seen Gerda play around here yet so I can't speak for her.

pooltchr

Silver Member
There certainly are quite a few of them around here, aren't there?

I saw G-Force at Rack 'em not too long ago, but it was a Friday night, and she was enjoying the bar, not one of the tables.

I do know for a fact that 3 of those you mentioned have spent time with an SPF instructor.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steven...Good to hear you're making such wonderful progress! We definitely discussed your desires and goals at the outset of the lesson. We just didn't dwell on them, because there was so much work to do that day! The really great benefit of the Mother Drills, along with your personal shooting template and mantra, is that it gives you a core understanding of what you want your "perfect process" to be, and a path to follow to get there. Once you achieve that objective, they continue to be a measurable way to 'test' yourself, when you feel like your stroke is a bit off...as well as self-correct when you make some kind of error...ANY error! Keep up the good work, and congratulations on being at the top of your group! Next step is playing even with that Walden guy! :eek::grin:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I'll give an endorsement for the Mother Drills.

I play BCA here in Oklahoma City, really tough league with some strong players. The last 2 sessions I was ranked between 20th and 25th at the end of the session. I would guess there are about 60 to 70 players. I took a lesson from Scott on 1/15/2010. I'm been doing my Mother Drills and matching up with some real strong players (James Walden). As of right now (only a couple of weeks left in the session), I'm ranked 2nd.

I don't think I would have had the same results without the instructions. I think its important to understand what you're doing and why. It's also important to have your mantra and to have your instructor help you determine your measurements.

I now have an expandable folder that I take with me to practice. And, I mean practice. When someone asks me to play, I tell them no thanks. My folder has the booklet Scott provided me, a ruler, adhesive dots, and a bag of rubber bands. Its just like going to the office for me.

I can't say everyone will improve the same as I have. The instructions and Mother drills are important in the process of improving but I think the desire (I don't mean yea I'd like to get better, I mean true desire to improve) and dedication are just as important. At least this is my story.

For anyone who really wants to improve, I recommend calling Scott or one of the other instructors. I don't remember Scott and I doing this, but I suggest discussion your expectations at the beginning of your lesson. I think you should talk to your instructor about goals. My goal is to become an A player.

Steven

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric...You would be amazed how many A, AA, and AAA players (including several national champions and pros) have benefitted from using the Mother Drills to finetune their process. They are not just for C players and below, although those players stand to benefit demonstrably, since they have no definable process to begin with.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I am a believer of the mother drills for C players and lower. So if you play around that speed sign up for them.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Steve

Sure there are exceptions to everything, The majority of people who would benefit the most from your product/system are lower lever players. I would have been the first person to sign up in 1985 when I first started playing, I wanted to go to Jerry B. in Mn years ago for lessions but couldnt affors them, I got a couple lessions from a guy who played good but couldnt teach, that was a waste.

I fully endorse what you guys are doing for pool and helping bring up players games.

best

eric:)

pooltchr

Silver Member
Eric.
You are correct that lower level players probably will see greater benefits, simply because they have so much more room for improvement. My point was simply that even at the top level, those players understand that any little edge they can get could be the difference between winning and losing.
As both Chris and Scott pointed out, there are several pros who know that a few minutes spent honing their fundamentals is part of maintaining your top level.

You probably don't check the air pressure in your car tires every day. Perhaps because you don't demand the absolute maximum of performance in your daily driving. Now, if you are in a NASCAR race, you will be constantly monitoring and adjusting tire pressure, because a half pound might be the difference between winning and losing.

Them players at the top of our game are there because they pay attention to every detail of their game. MDs are just a part of it.

Thank you for your kind words of support for instructors.

Steve

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve...What an AWESOME analogy!...and incredibly spot on! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You probably don't check the air pressure in your car tires every day. Perhaps because you don't demand the absolute maximum of performance in your daily driving. Now, if you are in a NASCAR race, you will be constantly monitoring and adjusting tire pressure, because a half pound might be the difference between winning and losing.

Them players at the top of our game are there because they pay attention to every detail of their game. MDs are just a part of it.

Steve

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
... I wanted to go to Jerry B. in Mn years ago for lessions but couldnt affors them

Well... its a good thing - if you had saved all that money and went to Mn looking for Jerry B, you would have been really pissed when you found out that he was in Wisconsin.

:wink: