Mother Drills

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are any instructors out there still teaching the Mother Drills? Or have they fallen by the wayside?

There were always differing views of their value.

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you would have to inquire with Randy G and his spf instructors. Maybe you can email him directly.

Reactions: bbb

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are any instructors out there still teaching the Mother Drills? Or have they fallen by the wayside? ...
I think I use many of the same basic drills in lessons. Feel free to check out my past BD articles and handouts -- sfbilliards.com like in my signature.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCP, Scott's been gone for a year and a half now. Is this an attempt to bring him down? Now? Yeah, the mother drills are still being used.

This is just a resurrection of August 2020. The only differing views were yours.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
in every practice camp/session use em as a 10-15 minutes warm up. Without an exception. And no matter how "strong" the players are. Atm usually 8 persons in a 4 hour session starts with 10-15 minutes of basics. Tuning in is a good thing- and gives the player on one side a good feeling if he sees that he s "on" today- or that he has to keep attention as well :)

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand someone preferring to teach a different set of drills or no drills at all.
Wondering why Mother Drills would be put in the ash can of history. or "Fallen by the wayside"

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand someone preferring to teach a different set of drills or no drills at all.
Wondering why Mother Drills would be put in the ash can of history. or "Fallen by the wayside"
'Mother Drills' is a proprietary term created and used by Randy G's SPF system of training instructors. Many instructors within the PBIA organization that have teaching credentials are not SPF instructors, so it makes sense that many have not been exposed to those teaching methods. They may even teach the same drills, but they're not familiar with what drills the term represents. I don't like the term. I may very well teach the same drills, but I wouldn't know it by the term, as I'm not in their group, and would never refer to any drill as a 'mother' drill.

Last edited:

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I spent a couple days with Scott and was introduced to the Mother Drills. He asked me how long I thought it would take to go through all of them daily. Well I said I didn't know. He said 3-4 hours to do them right. My notebook with them in there is still sitting on the book shelf and I am still a 600 fargo.

I would guess they work well for improvement if done right. How could 3-4 hours a day of structured practice not help? But alas I have some other things going on in those precious free hours every day.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been in the game for over 60 years and have never heard the term mother drills.
Maybe I know the drill but not by that name.
Anyone have a diagram?
i think its proprietary to PBIA..........................................per fran's post below its part of SPF instructors
as its part of their "system" for training
so sharing a diagram would be a no-no
not sure
ICBW
edit (see fran's posst below)

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think its proprietary to PBIA
as its part of their "system" for training
so sharing a diagram would be a no-no
not sure
ICBW
No, Mother Drills are part of the SPF group --- Those instructors who have studied under Randy G. -- Set Pause Finish, group. They're still members of the PBIA, but with their own teaching style. I am a member of the PBIA also, but I have my own teaching style when I train instructors. It's called the Fran Crimi school of instruction. LOL

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, Mother Drills are part of the SPF group --- Those instructors who have studied under Randy G. -- Set Pause Finish, group. They're still members of the PBIA, but with their own teaching style. I am a member of the PBIA also, but I have my own teaching style when I train instructors. It's called the Fran Crimi school of instruction. LOL
thanks for clarifying that fran