Mr 600

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87
That’s because pool folks resell the paper at 60% discount after reading it.

I predict the same format for JS626 video. One person may buy it and then discount sell it to the next one, so forth and so on, bypassing JS. Selling it for less and less to each other until there are no buyers left. Amazing supporting pool players supporting pool players. Who woulda thunk it?
I highly doubt that's what's going to happen Predator is the best marketing company in the business and his sponsor, so I see a creative marketing deal going on here with a slew of offerings tied to it , shirts , shafts , tips autographed stuff , a booth at shows and so on , he will prosper from this no guestion and can't fault him there even if I don't agree on some things about the run ,

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
I highly doubt that's what's going to happen Predator is the best marketing company in the business and his sponsor, so I see a creative marketing deal going on here with a slew of offerings tied to it , shirts , shafts , tips autographed stuff , a booth at shows and so on , he will prosper from this no guestion and can't fault him there even if I don't agree on some things about the run ,

Let's not forget that this is pool, not the NBA. :smile:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie would insist on a clean table and inspect it prior to playing his exhibition. He really went over the table carefully before even starting his warm up. I watched him shoot balls off the rails to test them and up and down the table to check the roll. He was the consummate professional. He also kept a towel nearby and would wipe balls down between racks if he felt it necessary. I never saw him pick up and clean the cue ball during a run though. I'm sure he would have considered that a sacrilege.

P.S. You are correct. He played with the set of balls (including the cue ball) that he brought with him to each exhibition.

Something I hadn’t considered: Willie likely used his own set when he made that record run (?). Being the consummate “professional” he was, he would have developed a ball/polish system that hindered/slowed the detrimental play effects of extended use.
No need to overhit/bobble a shot if you think the skid-risk is low enough.

P.S. Am I imagining it, or do the unwashed balls in rooms with a ‘greasy spoon’ kitchen/grill actually get slipperier with play (customer handling)? I swear, the mud balls in one of the rooms where I learned to play would start out gooey (big-time throw), and eventually as the night wore on, you had to start under-cutting every shot!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

This is certainly what we're hoping for, as John deserves to be able to monetize his amazing accomplishment.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A young Alex....about 21 years old...we were in a room in western NY....
....he played a 200 ball runner from NYC...to 150 for a couple hundred.
They agreed to quit at one apiece....the table and balls looked like they hadn’t been
cleaned for a month....NOBODY RAN THIRTY IN THOSE TWO GAMES.

If anybody wants to keep playing as everything gets dirtier...they don’t like the game enough.

A good polishing at the start of a game or day of a tournament should suffice.

At the DCC they clean the balls late at night/early morning. I'm sure the Accu-Stats table matches get a bit more attention but the field does not.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know whether it was just the cue that was cleaned and polished, or was it the entire set? Or how often were they cleaned?

Some people are "purists" and if all the balls were polished before every break, that would be quite an advantage...balls spread more and tend not to cluster nearly as easily. Some may say a huge and unfair advantage.

I was fortunate enough to have grown up in NYC during the heyday of straight pool, loved the game and played it hours a day, every day, for years.
Watched one of the greats run his daily hundred many a time...and other than an occasional chalk smudge on the cue ball, cannot recall him, or anyone else, ever cleaning balls just for the purpose of helping the spread and increasing the run, nor would another 300 plus ball runner that I much later had the privilege of playing with regularly.

If this "record" was set with the continual use of a ball cleaner/polisher on the cue ball I would have to believe that the run can easily be considered tainted, if the entire set of balls was continually cleaned/polished, I cannot give it near the respect that some others seem to think it deserves. JMHO

Polishing them up is a *huge* advantage.

Just imagine some 10ball event where the guy breaking wanted the balls run through a ball polisher every time before his break.

Lou Figueroa
pop!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
event photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJeff87
That’s because pool folks resell the paper at 60% discount after reading it.

I predict the same format for JS626 video. One person may buy it and then discount sell it to the next one, so forth and so on, bypassing JS. Selling it for less and less to each other until there are no buyers left. Amazing supporting pool players supporting pool players. Who woulda thunk it?

Many years ago I did event photography. Put together a nice professional disk, titles, transitions, nice label, the whole ball of wax. About ten percent of the people in the event bought disks, about fifty to sixty percent ended up with copies of the disk. I barely made wages for my efforts. Worse now, most people that try to sell hard copies lose money. A singer/songwriter friend of mine has a room full of disks. Had his last disk made a little behind the transition!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it likely, that Willie was able to run over 500 un-cleaned balls only because, on a smaller public table with ‘bucket’ drop pockets (AND of course his super-natural positional skill), he was able to hit every cut shot hard enough to defeat the inevitable ‘skid’ that ends most runs (?).

There is an account of Mosconi practicing on table in his hotel room just prior to a match with Fats.

Charlie Ursittti was racking (and it would be highly improbable that there was a ball polisher in the room). But anywhos, Charlie is racking and Mosconi runs close to 600, breaks the balls wide open and lays down his cue saying something like: See, running 600 is no big deal.

No big deal to Willie Mosconi.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not just Willie, it's the dozens of elite straight pool players, none of which, to my knowledge, cleaned/polished balls during their high runs. One can say "it's cheating" if they wanted to and it would be difficult to argue with. IMO.

If you keep polishing then up -- frequently during a run -- you might as well have this team working the table for you.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• web1_TSR-sweeping-170212.jpg
    web1_TSR-sweeping-170212.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 227

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An Open Letter from a Pro Player to the Pool Nobodies

Dear nobodies,

You know know nothing. You are clueless. You couldn't carry my pool cue case. I could give you the rainbow and destroy you. You wouldn't bet water is wet. Your opinion on my accomplishment is lower than shit. You think you are aficiandos (whatever that means). Ha!

But, ah, I'm putting out a DVD I hope you'll buy it. I also hope you will buy my sponsor's pool cues and stuff. And if I'm putting on an exhibition near you I hope you will come pay and see me. And if I'm broke and need a backer I hope you will ignore your stupid not worth a cent opinion and back me or put me into an event that I myself cannot afford to put up the entry fee and cover the expense for.

Nobodies: you are stupid. Please spend you money on me.

Signed
A Pro Pool Player

Lou Figueroa

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There is an account of Mosconi practicing on table in his hotel room just prior to a match with Fats.

Charlie Ursittti was racking (and it would be highly improbable that there was a ball polisher in the room). But anywhos, Charlie is racking and Mosconi runs close to 600, breaks the balls wide open and lays down his cue saying something like: See, running 600 is no big deal.

Lou Figueroa

I do believe that happened, with the credibility of Mosconi and Ursitti. But since you're now going into practice runs, Babe Cranfield ran over 700 twice, the highest being 768. It was witnessed, but not continuously. Not disagreeing or agreeing, just saying.

All the best,
WW

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
• Rebco Pocket Billiard Table 4-1/2 x 9
• Drop Pockets - No Ball Return
• Simonis 760 Tournament Cloth Green
• 5-inch Corner Pockets
• 5-1/2 inch Side Pockets
• Sardo Rack
• Super Aramith Pro Belgian Billiard Balls
• Predator P3 Red Butt
• Predator Revo 12.4mm Carbon Composite Shaft
• 19.5 oz and 58 inches
• Techno Dud Tip by Outsville
• Taom Pyro Blue Chalk
• Predator Second Skin Billiard Glove
• Predator Urbain 3x5 Hard Case Red

Just show up and shoot towards a drop pocket. No such thing as a near miss. There are several existing video of JS playing on the exact same table from May 8, 2019 to May 26, 2019. Just nothing from the same table on May 27, 2019. Try setting a ball against any corner pocket opening with 40% ball exposed and try to keep it from falling into the pocket. Mosconi playing on this table would probably still be shooting on the great pool table in the skies.

If you want to break a record you gotta do it on real equipment. This 5 inch pocket non-sense can go pound sand.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
If you keep polishing then up -- frequently during a run -- you might as well have this team working the table for you.

Lou Figueroa

I'm curious to know, if, and whenever the elusive video surfaces, whether or not the ball cleaning/polishing will be partially, or fully, edited out.

IMO: This appears to be a purely orchestrated, commercial, endeavor between JS and Predator...I know it wasn't considered "news worthy" because there weren't any actual journalists present observing the run, like at boxing matches and baseball games, and I doubt that JS authored and sent out hundreds of press releases (PR) to various newspapers in the hope some would publish it, so I can determine that Predator did it as a marketing tool. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it makes me wonder why Predator, with their financial and legal resources, were not prepared to gain the trademark and/or publishing rights before, during, or quickly after the run was made.

Just too many issues here for my taste.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
.....blah blah blah.......blah..blah. .....

Mosconi playing on this table would probably still be shooting on the great pool table in the skies.

I thought he likes the little tables for his runs. Or was 526 on a 9 foot table with less than 5 inch pockets. ( Wiki calls it a 4 x 8 with 5.25 corners but I know it's just what a random fan wrote)

And dirty balls. So how dirty were they? Was it a ball return table? Would that make them cleaner or dirtier? Maybe Mosconi wanted them dirty. It's all such a giant pile of conjecture.

We get it..its different.

If 626 was done on a 7 fr table with 4.5 inch pockets would it be OK? Table size seems to not matter to anyone discrediting the 626.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious to know, if, and whenever the elusive video surfaces, whether or not the ball cleaning/polishing will be partially, or fully, edited out.

IMO: This appears to be a purely orchestrated, commercial, endeavor between JS and Predator...I know it wasn't considered "news worthy" because there weren't any actual journalists present observing the run, like at boxing matches and baseball games, and I doubt that JS authored and sent out hundreds of press releases (PR) to various newspapers in the hope some would publish it, so I can determine that Predator did it as a marketing tool. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it makes me wonder why Predator, with their financial and legal resources, were not prepared to gain the trademark and/or publishing rights before, during, or quickly after the run was made.

Just too many issues here for my taste.

That's asking WAY too much for a pool player or a company in the industry. I know, I know..but its predator, they are big, they are different. Sorry man, Its just the industry, I have been around it 30 years, never seen it any different.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
• Rebco Pocket Billiard Table 4-1/2 x 9
• Drop Pockets - No Ball Return
• Simonis 760 Tournament Cloth Green
• 5-inch Corner Pockets
• 5-1/2 inch Side Pockets
• Sardo Rack
• Super Aramith Pro Belgian Billiard Balls
• Predator P3 Red Butt
• Predator Revo 12.4mm Carbon Composite Shaft
• 19.5 oz and 58 inches
• Techno Dud Tip by Outsville
• Taom Pyro Blue Chalk
• Predator Second Skin Billiard Glove
• Predator Urbain 3x5 Hard Case Red

Just show up and shoot towards a drop pocket. No such thing as a near miss. There are several existing video of JS playing on the exact same table from May 8, 2019 to May 26, 2019. Just nothing from the same table on May 27, 2019. Try setting a ball against any corner pocket opening with 40% ball exposed and try to keep it from falling into the pocket. Mosconi playing on this table would probably still be shooting on the great pool table in the skies.

So I’m guessing you don’t know what table Willie made the 526 on?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
So a smaller table with bigger pockets is harder? Interesting.

So was the 526 table drop or ball return?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

From everything I've read he was ho humm about everything he did he certainly never sat down to make a high run as a point his run just happened and documented because someone decided to make it a big deal , god knows how many he could have run if he actually cared ,