Mr 600

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... At the DCC they clean the balls late at night/early morning. ...
Well, for the 14.1 challenge at DCC the balls were cleaned several times per day and whenever a player asked for clean balls at the start of a set of turns.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, for the 14.1 challenge at DCC the balls were cleaned several times per day and whenever a player asked for clean balls at the start of a set of turns.

Yes, for the 14.1 Challenge that was true.

But I was talking about the tournament at large.

Lou Figueroa

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The nominal size of a table (expressed in feet) is 8'' more than the length of its playing area. The advertised size (or quoted size) of a standard pool table is exactly equal to its nominal size, except in two cases:
• A standard 7' table has a true nominal size of 7' 2'' corresponding to a playbed length of 78'' (not 76'' ).
• An 8½' table has a nominal size of 8' 4'' corresponding to a playing area 92'' long (not 94'' ). Tables of that unusual size are also referred to as oversize 8 foot tables (or even 8 foot tables, which they're not).

4'x8' tables was the common size table for the home player.
Ref: 8-1/2' table above. These were generally known as 4-1/2'x8' oversize tables common to all businesses. The between the rail nose measurements were 46"x92" playing surface. There were thousands around the country. Most joints had one or more and some pool parlors had many of them. These tables were available from the 20s to well into the 90s, before they began to give way to the competition 4-1/2'x9' with 50"x100" playing surfaces and to the 5'x10' tables.
The game hasn't changed, only the players and the tables. Even the rules to play by have not changed either!

Yeah, we all know water is wet.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, we all know water is wet.

Don't let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often.

Your arguments have fallen on deaf ears, No? Only water left to talk about?
About to turn spigot off?

Just saying. Every player on the planet knows what you posted.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Just saying. Every player on the planet knows what you posted.
Yup, a 9 foot table is bigger than an 8 foot table.

We really should look into the whole cloth color aspect of this next. Even if they were both green were they the same shade of green?

And if 626 was on blue I suspect the whole thing is null and void.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The nominal size of a table (expressed in feet) is 8'' more than the length of its playing area. The advertised size (or quoted size) of a standard pool table is exactly equal to its nominal size, except in two cases:
• A standard 7' table has a true nominal size of 7' 2'' corresponding to a playbed length of 78'' (not 76'' ).
• An 8½' table has a nominal size of 8' 4'' corresponding to a playing area 92'' long (not 94'' ). Tables of that unusual size are also referred to as oversize 8 foot tables (or even 8 foot tables, which they're not).

4'x8' tables was the common size table for the home player.
Ref: 8-1/2' table above. These were generally known as 4-1/2'x8' oversize tables common to all businesses. The between the rail nose measurements were 46"x92" playing surface. There were thousands around the country. Most joints had one or more and some pool parlors had many of them. These tables were available from the 20s to well into the 90s, before they began to give way to the competition 4-1/2'x9' with 50"x100" playing surfaces and to the 5'x10' tables.
The game hasn't changed, only the players and the tables. Even the rules to play by have not changed either!

By way of comparison -- The playing surfaces on Diamond's 3 table sizes move in equal steps -- 40x80, 45x90, 50x100. And the exterior dimensions for all of them are 14" wider and 14" longer than the playing surfaces.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mosconi set the record on a 4x8 table with 5 and 1/4 inch corner pockets.

which is precisely why I think the 526 is BS too. I have the record for most consecutive made 3 pointers from NBA range in history...oh I mean the hoop was bigger, but thats cool right? Gtfo. In NO other sport would we think this was okay.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Man this is still going on lol...

Lou - have you ever seen John polish balls during a run? You have mentioned it many times now and have intimated that he polishes them in a machine before every break shot so they will spread better, thus cheating. I’ve never seen him do it or heard of it from anyone but you, who has been proven to be a non objective participant in this situation lol.

Xradarx - are you claiming to be Frank Alamanza? Also...can you actually play pool at all?

Keep'em guessing! I do know, but I'm not, along came jones, slow walking jones, slow talking jones, telling here or anywhere.

You know he played on a table with big 5” pockets?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
No, I'm not Frank Almanza. Yes, I can play pool. Take notice of 'xradarx'. I play between the 'x'es. Center of object ball to center of the pocket. Don't give one damn about the size of the pockets. Just arguing to be arguing. Will play nice if treated likewise. xradarx

Nah you don’t get to be reasonable now, you’re branded...enemy of the state. I’m going to go get some chipotle for breakfast and think on your hypocrisy. Then I will try to break my juggling record in 1 minute.

Love for all

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I'm not Frank Almanza. Yes, I can play pool. Take notice of 'xradarx'. I play between the 'x'es. Center of object ball to center of the pocket. Don't give one damn about the size of the pockets. Just arguing to be arguing. Will play nice if treated likewise. xradarx

more like frank costanza

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man this is still going on lol...

Lou - have you ever seen John polish balls during a run? You have mentioned it many times now and have intimated that he polishes them in a machine before every break shot so they will spread better, thus cheating. I’ve never seen him do it or heard of it from anyone but you, who has been proven to be a non objective participant in this situation lol.

Xradarx - are you claiming to be Frank Alamanza? Also...can you actually play pool at all?

You know he played on a table with big 5” pockets?

I have not intimated anything that I recall.

In fact, just a bit back in this thread, I said something to the effect that I had absolutely no idea if there was any ball polishing going on during the 626. My recollection is that the issue was brought to a head by one stroke who specifically asked me about ball polishing but just as a general topic for discussion. Have I seen JS polish them up "often" during a run? Yes, and I seem to recall he and I had some interesting repartee about the subject back when it happened. Was it going on during the 626? No idea.

Lou Figueroa

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In fact, just a bit back in this thread, I said something to the effect that I had absolutely no idea if there was any ball polishing going on during the 626. My recollection is that the issue was brought to a head by one stroke who specifically asked me about ball polishing but just as a general topic for discussion. Have I seen JS polish them up "often" during a run? Yes, and I seem to recall he and I had some interesting repartee about the subject back when it happened. Was it going on during the 626? No idea.

Lou Figueroa

And we also really have no idea about cleaning of the balls during the 526 either.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Bringing it up in every thread that has to do with this run counts in my book, PR techniques. Casting shadows.

Which reminds me. Eyedea - even shadows have shadows. A very good song.

Do you consider wiping them down with a rag to be polishing? I guess technically he could have something on the rag though :yikes: and we’d never know,

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bringing it up in every thread that has to do with this run counts in my book, PR techniques. Casting shadows.

Which reminds me. Eyedea - even shadows have shadows. A very good song.

Do you consider wiping them down with a rag to be polishing? I guess technically he could have something on the rag though :yikes: and we’d never know,

Well, like I said, I was responding to a query from one stroke.

If you want to talk about PR front loading we could try talking about press releases, BCA certification, congratulations from other pros, and a promo video before seeing the actual run. Personally, I'd like to watch the movie itself before voting it an Oscar for best picture.

As you've point out, wiping them down with a rag is problematic because there's no way of knowing what's on the rag. I know DH has voiced a problem with opponents using a rag.

Lou Figueroa

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Well, like I said, I was responding to a query from one stroke.

If you want to talk about PR front loading we could try talking about press releases, BCA certification, congratulations from other pros, and a promo video before seeing the actual run. Personally, I'd like to watch the movie itself before voting it an Oscar for best picture.

As you've point out, wiping them down with a rag is problematic because there's no way of knowing what's on the rag. I know DH has voiced a problem with opponents using a rag.

Lou Figueroa

Fair enough. I’d also like to see. If we say it often, and loudly enough, it just might happen.

Doug Desmond's gloves. He touched every ball racked from start to finish. Just another innocent bystander, not. I didn't see his gloves listed in the sponsor's list.

Lol...what up Balls?

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
He ran the 526 in just over two hours, around four balls a minute -- no time to polish the balls ;-)

Lou Figueroa
I thought that 2 hour-ish time was the portion after the exhibition match ended and he was already at 150 or 200.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk