Multiple-Event Winners at the DCC

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My biggest surprises in looking over the list of DCC winners were that:
  • Bustamante was winless until this year;
  • Immonen has won only one event (9-ball in 2002); and
  • Daulton has won 3 times, but never in what many people consider to be his best game (1-pocket).

I think if I had to pick the guy who will be first to hold a title in all three disciplines, I'd pick Daulton.

But...SVB is the closest to winning the triple crown by coming within one game of winning the banks, thus sweeping the DCC.

The post you quoted was from 4 years ago. Since that time: Bustamante won a second event, Immonen has still won only once, Daulton won his 4th event (but still not in 1-pocket), and Pagulayan became the first to win in all 3 disciplines.

But you are correct about SVB almost winning the triple crown. In 2012, he met John Morra in the Banks finals. SVB had one loss and Morra none. Shane won the first set 3-2 but lost the second set by two games 1-3. He then went on to win both the 1-Pocket (3-1 over Joey Gray) and the 9-Ball (7-3 over Stevie Moore).

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The post you quoted was from 4 years ago. Since that time: Bustamante won a second event, Immonen has still won only once, Daulton won his 4th event (but still not in 1-pocket), and Pagulayan became the first to win in all 3 disciplines.

But you are correct about SVB almost winning the triple crown. In 2012, he met John Morra in the Banks finals. SVB had one loss and Morra none. Shane won the first set 3-2 but lost the second set by two games 1-3. He then went on to win both the 1-Pocket (3-1 over Joey Gray) and the 9-Ball (7-3 over Stevie Moore).

No winners have had the same success as SVB in one DCC with two 1st place wins and a 2nd place finish of all three events.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No winners have had the same success as SVB in one DCC with two 1st place wins and a 2nd place finish of all three events.

Correct. Reyes is the only other player to win two of the three events in the same year (2005). He finished 13th/19th in Banks that year.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the 19 years of the Derby City Classic, 11 different players have become All-Around Champion (Master of the Table). Five of those 11 have won it more than once. Here's the list.

Six players have won once:

• Dee Adkins -- 2000
    Shannon Daulton 2001
    Jose Parica -- 2002
    Larry Nevel -- 2003
    Jason Miller -- 2006
    John Brumback -- 2009

Four players have won twice:

• Francisco Bustamante -- 2008 and 2013
    Shane Van Boeniing -- 2011 and 2012
    Dennis Orcollo -- 2014 and 2017
    Alex Pagulayan -- 2015 and 2016

One player has won five times:

• Efren Reyes -- 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010

In four years, the All-Around Champion did not win any of the 3 events on which the award is based -- Adkins (2000), Parica (2002), Nevel (2003), and Bustamante (2008). In the other 15 years, the All-Around Champion did win at least one of the 3 primary events.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Correct. Reyes is the only other player to win two of the three events in the same year (2005). He finished 13th/19th in Banks that year.

I equate that accomplishment to SVB winning the US Open 4 out of 5 years in a row, and what's funny is that even though Earl Strickland has won the same US Open 5 times, he has yet to win a single event at the DCC.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 19 years of the Derby City Classic, 11 different players have become All-Around Champion (Master of the Table). Five of those 11 have won it more than once. Here's the list.

Six players have won once:

• Dee Adkins -- 2000
    Shannon Daulton 2001
    Jose Parica -- 2002
    Larry Nevel -- 2003
    Jason Miller -- 2006
    John Brumback -- 2009

Four players have won twice:

• Francisco Bustamante -- 2008 and 2013
    Shane Van Boeniing -- 2011 and 2012
    Dennis Orcollo -- 2014 and 2017
    Alex Pagulayan -- 2015 and 2016

One player has won five times:

• Efren Reyes -- 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010

In four years, the All-Around Champion did not win any of the 3 events on which the award is based -- Adkins (2000), Parica (2002), Nevel (2003), and Bustamante (2008). In the other 15 years, the All-Around Champion did win at least one of the 3 primary events.
As always, thanks for the illuminating stats.

6 Americans and 5 Filipinos. No Europeans.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I equate that accomplishment to SVB winning the US Open 4 out of 5 years in a row, and what's funny is that even though Earl Strickland has won the same US Open 5 times, he has yet to win a single event at the DCC.
I noticed that as well. It's pretty mind-boggling Earl hasn't one at least the 9-ball event.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Winning tournaments is hard, even for the best. Busty won two "Banks" events at DCC, but never a 9 ball. To win one of these, you have to be top tier, and have good rolls. The multiple event winners, are truly the best of the best.

Buddy won a one hole, but not a 9 ball DCC.

I think Earl not winning one, is no big deal.

I think Shannon was the last of the players who grew up playing all 3 games. The modern players, all played 9 ball exclusively IMO, and only fooled around with one hole and banks for the DCC. Maybe now that is changing again with Billy Thorpe! Hope so, I love to see well rounded players like Daulton!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At large, which was the year Efren won the first or second Helfert invitational tournament? I think it was still on 9 foot tables, and I don't remember if Fatboy was a sponsor yet.

Anyway, that year, I think Efren addithally won a DCC main event, and a master of the table? I just remember his name one year on almost everything.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At large, which was the year Efren won the first or second Helfert invitational tournament? I think it was still on 9 foot tables, and I don't remember if Fatboy was a sponsor yet.

Anyway, that year, I think Efren addithally won a DCC main event, and a master of the table? I just remember his name one year on almost everything.

Correct. In 2010, Efren won the second Fatboy 10-Ball Challenge (9-footer), was 1st in the 9-Ball, 2nd in the Banks, and was All-Around Champion.

[Here's the history on the Fatboy and Bigfoot events: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=387852.]

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Winning tournaments is hard, even for the best. Busty won two "Banks" events at DCC, but never a 9 ball. To win one of these, you have to be top tier, and have good rolls. The multiple event winners, are truly the best of the best.

Buddy won a one hole, but not a 9 ball DCC.

I think Earl not winning one, is no big deal.

I think Shannon was the last of the players who grew up playing all 3 games. The modern players, all played 9 ball exclusively IMO, and only fooled around with one hole and banks for the DCC. Maybe now that is changing again with Billy Thorpe! Hope so, I love to see well rounded players like Daulton!
19 9ball tournaments in a row....not one tournament was won by Earl Strickland, Johnny Archer, Nick Varner, Mike Siegal, Allen Hopkins....all from Efren's time frame, and yet....Efren still can't be counted out of a chance to still win an event there....LOL

PS; yet, everyone of them have played and tried to win!

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's how the Derby City Classic's All-Around Champion each year placed in each of the 3 main (points) events. The placements for each player are for Banks first, 1-Pocket second, and 9-Ball third. A number like 18/26 means the player finished in a 9-way tie for 18th through 26th place.

1999 ... Efren Reyes -- 3, 1, 2
2000 ... Dee Adkins -- 4/5, 18/26, 2
2001 ... Shannon Daulton -- 5/6, 5/8, 1
2002 ... Jose Parica -- 7/9, 2, 7/10
2003 ... Larry Nevel -- 3/4, 2, 20/33

2004 ... Reyes -- 62/100, 1, 2
2005 ... Reyes -- 13/19, 1, 1
2006 ... Jason Miller -- 1, 2, 15/24
2007 ... Reyes -- 2, 1, 42/62
2008 ... Francisco Bustamante -- 7/8, 3, 2

2009 ... John Brumback -- 1, 10/15, 10/14
2010 ... Reyes -- 2, 20/34, 1
2011 ... Shane Van Boening -- low*, 1, 2
2012 ... Van Boening -- 2, 1, 1
2013 ... Bustamante -- 1, 2, 6/7

2014 ... Dennis Orcollo -- 1, 4/5, 4/5
2015 ... Alex Pagulayan -- 13/20, 1, 2
2016 ... Pagulayan -- 12/19, 1, 2
2017 ... Orcollo -- 11/14, 3, 1

*Lost in Round 2; did not buy back

[Based on AzB database and (for SVB Banks in 2011) forum posts.]

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
19 9ball tournaments in a row....not one tournament was won by Earl Strickland, Johnny Archer, Nick Varner, Mike Siegal, Allen Hopkins....all from Efren's time frame, and yet....Efren still can't be counted out of a chance to still win an event there....LOL

Some additional info on those guys, for DCC 9-Ball:

Strickland -- Has finished in the money 9 times with a best finish of 10th/14th (2005). May not have played many of the other years.

Archer -- Has finished in the money 15 times, with a top finish of 3rd/4th (2003 and 2006) and 6 other top-10's.

Varner -- Played only in the early years of the DCC; 2003 may have been his last time. Best finish in 9-Ball of 5th (1999).

Sigel -- No finishes in the money; I don't know whether he ever played.

Hopkins -- One finish (a low one) in the money (2008). I doubt that he played many times.

[Again, thanks AzB database.]

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the first yr of being race to 9? That's what the DCC site seem to indicate. I've only been watching maybe the last 3yrs, but cant recall if they were to 7 or 9.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is this the first yr of being race to 9? That's what the DCC site seem to indicate. I've only been watching maybe the last 3yrs, but cant recall if they were to 7 or 9.

I think this is the third year of race to nine. It was race to seven in all prior years.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here's how the Derby City Classic's All-Around Champion each year placed in each of the 3 main (points) events. The placements for each player are for Banks first, 1-Pocket second, and 9-Ball third. A number like 18/26 means the player finished in a 9-way tie for 18th through 26th place.

1999 ... Efren Reyes -- 3, 1, 2
2000 ... Dee Adkins -- 4/5, 18/26, 2
2001 ... Shannon Daulton -- 5/6, 5/8, 1
2002 ... Jose Parica -- 7/9, 2, 7/10
2003 ... Larry Nevel -- 3/4, 2, 20/33

2004 ... Reyes -- 62/100, 1, 2
2005 ... Reyes -- 13/19, 1, 1
2006 ... Jason Miller -- 1, 2, 15/24
2007 ... Reyes -- 2, 1, 42/62
2008 ... Francisco Bustamante -- 7/8, 3, 2

2009 ... John Brumback -- 1, 10/15, 10/14
2010 ... Reyes -- 2, 20/34, 1
2011 ... Shane Van Boening -- low*, 1, 2
2012 ... Van Boening -- 2, 1, 1
2013 ... Bustamante -- 1, 2, 6/7

2014 ... Dennis Orcollo -- 1, 4/5, 4/5
2015 ... Alex Pagulayan -- 13/20, 1, 2
2016 ... Pagulayan -- 12/19, 1, 2
2017 ... Orcollo -- 11/14, 3, 1

*Lost in Round 2; did not buy back

[Based on AzB database and (for SVB Banks in 2011) forum posts.]

Shane has a record that only perfection can beat....2012....2,1,1...
..but his 2011 results will never be equalled, IMO...MOT with no buy-back in banks.

Efren is right behind, with a 3,2,1 finish in '99

AtLarge is setting a personal record for me....MSP...most subscribed posts...
...thank you, sir

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Shane has a record that only perfection can beat....2012....2,1,1...
..but his 2011 results will never be equalled, IMO...MOT with no buy-back in banks.

Efren is right behind, with a 3,2,1 finish in '99

AtLarge is setting a personal record for me....MSP...most subscribed posts...
...thank you, sir

That was my point when I drew attention to Shane's accomplishment, what are the odds that anyone can win the triple crown at the DCC to surpass Shane's record?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That was my point when I drew attention to Shane's accomplishment, what are the odds that anyone can win the triple crown at the DCC to surpass Shane's record?

Alex has shown he can win at every discipline...when he's not playing poker....:rolleyes:

...and Billy Thorpe is a definite possibility.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

When did Mike Sigel play in the DCC?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

2012 was the last year for the races to 7 in 9-Ball. So this was the 5th year for the races to 9.