My 2 cents on aiming systems

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
i hope i dont get banned for this
azhousepro
you must understand for the guys that havent argued over the same thing for 25 years
we find the banter amusing
and occasionally from time time enter in
speaking for myself and maybe phreaticus
for amusement
although me personally have tried many times to get a peace accord with no success
you banning phreaticus who has only had a few posts and maybe provocative
is nothing like what goes on between dan white/patrick johnson/ cookie man/and spidey
yet you let them do the same sh*t to each other all the time
if you want the aiming section to be an educational part of your site
you need to stop them from interacting
its the same crap over and over
and does not teach anyone a thing
jmho
icbw
and i hope you take this as a constructive post and not an attack
Larry, I did try to teach you something in private. Do you remember? It didn't work. Why? Maybe me, maybe you.
But I did reach out to you and give it a try. Has anyone else done that for you in the other camp? I'll answer it for you...NO.

Has phreaticus ever actually talked pool and how his process is done or any others? NO. The fact that he does have only a few posts since joining yet insists on name calling and jumping into the fray regarding CTE and its users with nothing positive is not typical of a pool player who has curiosity about ways of playing the game and wants to discuss it peacefully. He is in fact an obsessed stalking troll.

Where in the hell are you suddenly coming from with all of this and why?

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
In defining aiming solutions.

To be fair, it's no less exact than other aiming systems - also no more.

pj
chgo
Point out why in the form of a video with a full explanation while doing it. Your wordsmithing is old and moldy. I think it's far more exact than you randomly picking out a contact point on the OB, bobbing up and down like a lizard to made sure it's the right contact point, and then trying to strike it with an equal and opposite part of the CB while making more adjustments for every physical force of nature regarding spin, speed, squirt, swerve, Coriolis force, fan or air conditioning wind, and an imperfect stroke to top it off.

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:32:45 -0500
Local: Tues, Sep 12 2000 3:32 pm

We've talked about this a few times. I prefer to sight down the
contact point-to-contact point line, but that puts my head in
different positions over the stick depending on the shot and can be
physically difficult for cue ball contact points "outside" the stick,
so I adjust it for comfort and consistency. I also like to move my
head back and forth to sight down more than one of the available
lines, including cue ball path, just for cross reference (I might look
a little like a lizard doing this). I like to know that my stick is
pointing where I want it to, but "sight down the stick" doesn't work
by itself for me.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Larry, I did try to teach you something in private. Do you remember? It didn't work. Why? Maybe me, maybe you.
But I did reach out to you and give it a try. Has anyone else done that for you in the other camp? I'll answer it for you...NO.

Has phreaticus ever actually talked pool and how his process is done or any others? NO. The fact that he does have only a few posts since joining yet insists on name calling and jumping into the fray regarding CTE and its users with nothing positive is not typical of a pool player who has curiosity about ways of playing the game and wants to discuss it peacefully. He is in fact an obsessed stalking troll.

Where in the hell are you suddenly coming from with all of this and why?
Dave I do remember you trying to introduce me to pivots and aiming
we did it over the phone without visual and i did not get it
i did and do appreciate you taking the time to try .
i understand your passion for cte
i also have had a few conversations with cookie
you both know cte inside out and can be a wonderfull resource for anyone wishing to learn it or have questions
but unfortunately the feud between you and the nonbelievers is a never ending rinse and repeat of the same stuff
and always interferes with any meaningful discussion
for myself who is not in the ring fighting the movie gets old when its more or less the same stuff rinse and repeat
i have said before if the non believers would leave the cte people alone and vice versa
there could actually be constructive educational dialogue wiithin the various threads that come up
anyone who is even a casual viewer of the aiming section gets a feel for the arguments for and against
the non beleivers could even have a sticky on why cte is not valid
and the cte people could have their own sticky saying why it is valid
i have tried to get a truce but it has never been successful
so to answer your question dave about where am i coming from and why ?
as explained above the feud is nonproductive /has settled nothing /and adds nothing positive to the aiming section
i would like to see the aiming section be educational rather than a place to go when my popcorn is ready
jmho
icbw
sorry for the long reply

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point out why in the form of a video with a full explanation while doing it. Your wordsmithing is old and moldy. I think it's far more exact than you randomly picking out a contact point on the OB, bobbing up and down like a lizard to made sure it's the right contact point, and then trying to strike it with an equal and opposite part of the CB while making more adjustments for every physical force of nature regarding spin, speed, squirt, swerve, Coriolis force, fan or air conditioning wind, and an imperfect stroke to top it off.

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:32:45 -0500
Local: Tues, Sep 12 2000 3:32 pm

We've talked about this a few times. I prefer to sight down the
contact point-to-contact point line, but that puts my head in
different positions over the stick depending on the shot and can be
physically difficult for cue ball contact points "outside" the stick,
so I adjust it for comfort and consistency. I also like to move my
head back and forth to sight down more than one of the available
lines, including cue ball path, just for cross reference (I might look
a little like a lizard doing this). I like to know that my stick is
pointing where I want it to, but "sight down the stick" doesn't work
by itself for me.

Pat Johnson
Chicago
Don’t forget, after all this “ it has to look right” or I guess you stand up and do it all again

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It isn't false. No two people in pool have come close to being as maligned as they have, and YOU were the one who started it as
well as kept it going for two and a half decades.
Their (and your) false claims were disputed. You took it personally. You obviously still do.

As far as the unique exactness goes, create a video with you at the table illustrating why it doesn't.
If you think a video is needed to “illustrate” something that’s obvious on its face, you’re revealing (yet again) your lack of basic aiming understanding.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Describe/define FEEL.
It's been described to you many, many times - once again: "feel" in pool = practiced estimation, or "knowing it when you see it".

...and how can it be worded in such a way that the description or directions can be followed by any and all pool players.
To learn practiced estimation, you have to practice estimating. If that's too complicated for you (even though you do it) I can't help - maybe a special needs teacher...

pj
chgo

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
It's been described to you many, many times - once again: "feel" in pool = practiced estimation, or "knowing it when you see it".
Knowing it when you see WHAT? An imaginary contact point? An imaginary fraction? An imaginary arrow?
To learn practiced estimation, you have to practice estimating. If that's too complicated for you (even though you do it
I can't help - maybe a special needs teacher...
Why would I practice ESTIMATING when I can get ACCURATE VISUALS immediately using the edge of the CB, CCB, along with the OB edge and specific inner parts of the OB. They can be seen with my own eyes. Nothing estimated and NO FEEL.
What do you SEE when you line the CB EDGE up to the OB CENTER or OB 1/4 or OB 3/4? Is that estimated? Is FEEL involved?
Or is it right there in front of you jumping out at your thin pointy nose?

How about this one: Center CB lined up to the OB CENTER as in a dead straight in shot. (But it's not because there's a cut to one of the pockets). Inside edge of cue tip is placed at CCB and aimed at COB. Before stroking, the tip and butt is pivoted so that the CENTER of the TIP is now at CCB. Take the shot...shot goes in. Clearly visible. On more of a cut if needed. Same setup with inside edge of cue tip at CCB aimed at COB. Pivot tip and butt to the OUTSIDE edge of the tip is now at CCB. Take the shot...shot goes in. Sounds too simple and absurd, right? Of course it would to an all knowing genius hack like yourself. Too bad.
Balls go in. There's more for greater cut angles but this is enough.

Here you are ARGUING AGAINST FEEL years ago. But now, like a flag in the wind, you're blowing in another direction to argue against CTE because it suits your destructive agenda. I think you need a psychiatrist badly....
*******************************************************************************************************************************
Date: 1998/12/08
Subject: Re: Aiming Technique
Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

Dale W. Baker wrote:

> David,

> If this method works for you, so be it. I don't believe there are too
> many players in this forum that will advocate such a method.

PJ:
This variation on the "ghost ball" method of aiming is discussed fairly
frequently here, and I recall several posters being in favor of it. It
doesn't have a particularly bad reputation that I know of, though it's
not my preferred method because I like to aim more directly at the
object ball contact point.

David:
> The aiming method should be by "feel". You get a sense for the target, and shoot.

PJ:
I don't agree. It's true that many players aim by "feel," but that
doesn't mean that every player "should" aim this way. And how is
anybody supposed to follow these instructions? "Get a sense for the
target and shoot?" What does that mean to anybody but you? Is it like
"You'll know it when you see it?"

I think a player should have an idea of what he's aiming at, and what
he's aiming at it. For instance, I aim the contact point on the cue
ball (which I have to imagine, because it's on the other side of the cue
ball) at the contact point on the object ball. To help me do this
accurately, I aim the cue stick at the point it would be touching on the
"ghost ball" (this is the imaginary ball sitting in the spot the cue
ball will occupy when it hits the object ball) as if I was shooting the
same shot with the two balls frozen together. (Of course, I adjust all
this for the combined effect of squirt, swerve and throw).

By the way, this isn't a complicated calculation of some kind that I do
while I'm aiming. I just try to point something (my stick and the cue
ball) at something (the ghost ball and object ball), rather than just
"feel" it. It sounds like David's trying to do that, too, and I say
it's the right thing to try to do.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here you are ARGUING AGAINST FEEL years ago.
I argued against using only feel - not that you'd be expected to get that distinction.

Interesting that with your 25 years of collecting and archiving all my posts you don't seem to understand any of them. Maybe if you actually read them instead of just scanning for phrases that you can try to weaponize...

pj
chgo

Last edited:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
i hope i dont get banned for this
azhousepro
you must understand for the guys that havent argued over the same thing for 25 years
we find the banter amusing
and occasionally from time time enter in
speaking for myself and maybe phreaticus
for amusement
although me personally have tried many times to get a peace accord with no success
you banning phreaticus who has only had a few posts and maybe provocative
is nothing like what goes on between dan white/patrick johnson/ cookie man/and spidey
yet you let them do the same sh*t to each other all the time
if you want the aiming section to be an educational part of your site
you need to stop them from interacting
its the same crap over and over
and does not teach anyone a thing
jmho
icbw
and i hope you take this as a constructive post and not an attack
I don't take it as an attack at all. The issue is stopping a handful of users from interacting with each other. I have limited methods to do that. I prefer not banning people, but sometimes I don't see an alternative. I do believe that they have decent information to share at times, but they are way too emotionally invested in their arguments.

Maybe it is just a case of them being better at playing the forum game and making themselves seem to be just valuable enough to the community to get away with their crap.

Reactions: bbb

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...You weren't too keen on feel.

...And it's NOT what you're saying today regarding FEEL.
What I said then was I don't like using feel exclusively, without some CB/OB "landmarks" to help. What I say today is feel is inescapable, not that it should be used exclusively.

pj
chgo

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried. I gave up when it became apparent that you weren't going anywhere with what you were showing me, other than the fact that putting the ball 7 inches from the pocket means it will go in a lot. You then misrepresented my problem with the pivots I was doing early on off the rail. If you could simply explain your point it would be easier.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I tried. I gave up when it became apparent that you weren't going anywhere with what you were showing me, other than the fact that putting the ball 7 inches from the pocket means it will go in a lot.
This is exactly the opposite of what you were saying at the time. You kept telling me the shots were being MISSED! I was in a state of disbelief because I knew for a fact that Ray Charles could have made a few of those shots.
You then misrepresented my problem with the pivots I was doing early on off the rail. If you could simply explain your point it would be easier.
You weren't too keen on doing it the first go around. It was like I was twisting your arm. Days went by without you posting anything back regarding what was happening successfully or unsuccessfully. Why put myself through that again?

Last edited: