My Demo Program, Test the New Tiger Pro X Shaft - Free!

javi2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alright, Just received mine tonight and haven't been able to put it down! I, unlike most people here, have never played pool with a low deflection shaft before and I'm liking it. Back to the table!

feedtheworm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny,

No problem - but one question. What diameter is your current shaft? This shaft is fior players who want to try the new smaller tip/stonger taper style and it is ideal for someone who already plays with a smaller diameter tip.

Chris

My current tip is around 12mm (possibly slightly smaller). I've never actually measured it because I don't have calipers or a micrometer.
As far as the taper goes, I have no idea. I don't have a good understanding of the different types of tapers. You would probably know the taper better than I. It's a Palmer PB-6.

Johnny

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My current tip is around 12mm (possibly slightly smaller). I've never actually measured it because I don't have calipers or a micrometer.
As far as the taper goes, I have no idea. I don't have a good understanding of the different types of tapers. You would probably know the taper better than I. It's a Palmer PB-6.

Johnny

I would suggest that you get Tate to put your name back on the list. You'll love the x-pro. It's not much different from what you're playing with now. The difference in size is slight but the hit will be very noticable. I've had mine for about three months and love it more everyday.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I would suggest that you get Tate to put your name back on the list. You'll love the x-pro. It's not much different from what you're playing with now. The difference in size is slight but the hit will be very noticable. I've had mine for about three months and love it more everyday.

Frank,

I've been working with the Pro X too on my cue and now I've switched over for good. I like it a lot, but there certainly is an adjustment period. I also bought a Magic Rack 9 ball rack and it's made playing the ghost fun again, even on my 4" pocket table. Can't wait to try the Pro X in competition.

Chris

Last edited:

feedtheworm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If Chris agrees, I'll stay in the mix. I just don't want to keep it out of the hands of people that can give good feedback.

Johnny

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
If Chris agrees, I'll stay in the mix. I just don't want to keep it out of the hands of people that can give good feedback.

Johnny

Johnny,

I would like to see you try it. Anybody who wants to try an LD shaft is welcome. We'll get through all the testers in due course and some people will find benefits and some won't, but it's nice to know and it's free to try.

Chris

Last edited:

feedtheworm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny,

I would like to see you try it. Anybody who wants to try an LD shaft is welcome. We'll get through all the testers in due course and some people will find benefits and some won't, but it's nice to know and it's free to try.

Chris

Thanks Chris. My schedule is the other issue. I'm lucky if I can play once a week right now. Generally it's even less than that.
If I have a five day window to try this shaft, I'll make the time to try it out but I'm sure it will only be one time. Would one time really be worth it? I've heard there is a little adjustment period.

Johnny

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I didn't read this entire thread, I want to comment on the Pro X shaft that Chris sent me. It arrived while I was on the road teaching, from Boston, down to Cheasapeak, VA, to watch the US Open. So, I didn't get to actually play with it until I returned home a week ago. I have played with it for 5 straight days, and I have to say I LOVE the shaft. It plays very similar to my G-Core...and that's a huge compliment. I put this shaft through it paces, with lots of power strokes (and touch shots, masse's & kicks), with and without sidespin, and the shaft performed excellently under all conditions. I broke with mine too, and it performed flawlessly there as well! I am now sending mine on to the fellow in NY state who is next on the list! Thanks again Chris...great shaft! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

HOSS22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive submitted my info chris and i'm really excited to try your product,sweet program by the way.i like the thicker shaft like a 12.75 would be great.thanks again,hoss.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
ive submitted my info chris and i'm really excited to try your product,sweet program by the way.i like the thicker shaft like a 12.75 would be great.thanks again,hoss.

Hoss,

Yes, I got your note the other day. These Pro X shafts are 11.75 mm. I think you should wait for the new Ultra X LD which is 12.75 mm. At this time, if all goes well, I'm planning on having a demo program on it as well.

However, if you want to still try the 11.75 mm shaft, you are most welcome.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
While I didn't read this entire thread, I want to comment on the Pro X shaft that Chris sent me. It arrived while I was on the road teaching, from Boston, down to Cheasapeak, VA, to watch the US Open. So, I didn't get to actually play with it until I returned home a week ago. I have played with it for 5 straight days, and I have to say I LOVE the shaft. It plays very similar to my G-Core...and that's a huge compliment. I put this shaft through it paces, with lots of power strokes (and touch shots, masse's & kicks), with and without sidespin, and the shaft performed excellently under all conditions. I broke with mine too, and it performed flawlessly there as well! I am now sending mine on to the fellow in NY state who is next on the list! Thanks again Chris...great shaft! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,

You're exactly the type of person who I wanted to try the shaft, because you currently use a thin shaft as it is.

I do want to talk with you more about this, so we'll connect up too, plus I plan on seeing you when you come out here. Please let me know your schedule - we have a few weekend plans this month.

Chris

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great program you've started here Chris, you should be commended.

I would be very interested in trying out the Ultra LD (12.75mm) if you decide to do a test run on these as well. Both of my current shooters (Shon and Joss) have tips in the 12.75 - 13 mm range. I've never been fond of the Joss' shaft and this sounds like a good way to test the new generation of shafts. I'm very interested in the Onyx tip as well.

Cheers,
RG

SoniDJ

what's in your wallet
Silver Member
Well Tate you're not getting it back:wink:
I like the shaft alot and could get used to playing with it, I set up several shots and shot as if it were my original equipment and missed, and that's because there was little and I mean little deflection. The shaft is solid and stiff which means hopping half a ball is normal play, I'm sure if I had it on the end of a jump cue the ball would jump great.
The shaft performed great, all the spin and precision control you needed was right there.
If I could afford the shaft today I would buy one, I am not pumping the shaft up in no way, I personally like it more than the Predators or OB1 and that is because I like a stiffer cue shaft, the shaft even has a good sound. With a reasonable amount of adjustment time this shaft is a keeper. I have never owned LD shafts but have tried them and stuck with my original equipment, but I would definitely own this one.

dareads

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just received the shaft today. Just happens to be a bad week at work. Will get out saturday night and put in some time. Thanks again for this, it really is a great way to get your product in the hands of the public.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here’s where we’re at – November 4

I’m running really slow on the 3/8 X 10 joint shafts – sorry guys, we’ll get there.10 very positive evaluations and 2” just ok” evaluations.

Completed test program and shipped;

Johnny Shakes, Troi, Poohguy26, Mantis99, Icue, Dstone, Mojoe, Sk8ordie, Mike in Minn, J Soto, Blackballed, Justlovecues, Poolplayer 2093, Sk8Ordie, MikeInMN, Jzmechanix, Scott Lee, Blackballed, SK8Ordie, J.Soto, Lazzerus, MikeInMN, Jzmechanix, MattB, Justlovecues,

Shaft is possession of: ........ Next up : ...........then after That

Sonidj ----------->TATE

Baxter----------->Fenix206

Javi2 ---------------> crww---------->pushout

Joey A (whole test cue) --------> Patrick Johnson

The Dragon ------------> Jcat ----------> fasteddie427

Dareads --------> Schlangen 27 ------------> Harmy76

Shipped from and on the way to: …………….Then to: …………..then to

Scott Lee ----------->Predator5k4 --------------> McChen

Johnny Ozone -------------->Tommy T.----------> Bambu

KY Boy ---------------> CueFix ---------->Mr2serious

On deck but not quite scheduled yet:

5AM
MMYPool
Saturated Fats
iownthe412
Runoutt JJ
Muziq
Luke
Tony-in-MD
shankster 8
Pip9Ball
Vyc
Fram6878
FeedThe Worm
Juan A
TLayne
Falcon Eddie
John H
Hoss22

Delayed until I figure something out, but always in mind: Ratta (by special exemption)

Chris

Last edited:

Lazerrus

I LUV CURLY MAPLE!!!!!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hoss,

Yes, I got your note the other day. These Pro X shafts are 11.75 mm. I think you should wait for the new Ultra X LD which is 12.75 mm. At this time, if all goes well, I'm planning on having a demo program on it as well.

However, if you want to still try the 11.75 mm shaft, you are most welcome.

Chris

I play with a 13mm but still did the demo on the 11.75. Surprisingly the taper of this shaft is very nice so it helped with the tip size difference. Looking forward to trying the 12.75 Ultra X LD.:grin:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris, do you have any taper info on this shaft?
Looking for conical.

Rod

Rod,

It's not conical exactly but it's a gradual taper with no one change point. Here's a photo.

Here's how Tiger arrived at the taper and the build on this shaft. They made about 20 different shafts. I put them on my cue and fired shots from everywhere on the table, hard and soft, with tons of spin, until we arrived at a group of six shafts. (I had been using a 314 and an OB Classic up until then, and I didn't use the original Tiger shafts).

I then took them around to another experienced player and had them work with the shafts. We gave Tiger our impressions and we all pretty much agreed that this design was the best. Tiger built a few prototypes and we let other players try them. The results were encouraging.

I had tried a Predator Z and didn't like it. It felt hollow and like it was bouncing off the cue ball. I wanted a shaft that felt like it was slicing through the cue ball. In my mind, what I was looking for was a nice combination of:

1) Low, controllable squirt.

2) Repeatability. Once a player adapts to it, the shaft is predictable.

3) Stiff, but lively. Too often stiff shafts deaden the feedback. This shaft gives lively feedback but plays stiff.

4) Versatile: You can shoot the gamut of shots with confidence, from delicate, low speed/high spin shots to firing away on power shots .

5) Decent feel: we didn't want to sacrifice feel for performance.

The smaller tip takes some adaptation. What I like about the small tip and general stiffness of the shaft is you can stay closer to center and still get good action on the cue ball. The hard part is to keep yourself in the center area of the CB (for the majority of shots )and trust that you're still going to get the action you want.

I was pleased that the taper we picked out resulted in a natural weight of about 3.8 ounces with Tiger's very dry, premium maple. This means that the mass is there on the shaft, just re-distributed. The Predator Z' s usually weigh less.

I'm adapting to the shaft now and it's coming along. It will take awhile, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Chris

Attachments

• Pro X Taper.jpg
    Pro X Taper.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
I'd switch if I had to.............and maybe I will someday

I've recieved the demo shaft and have been able to put a couple hours on it and here are some observations. I screwed it onto my BB Spider cue and could feel the balance point change, we're talking the difference between 4.3 and 3.8 so it is a noticeable spread. It took me 30 seconds to forget about it once I started playing.

The Tiger shaft has a lively and very accurate hit. But the real difference is when it's called upon to spin whitey, it does so with little effort and no deflection which makes the extreme spin shots much easier.

It's like the difference between a cadillac and a maserati. Both drive wonderfully down a straight road, but when called on to execute precision manuevers the Maserati is the best.

The shaft on the BB is one of Tony's ferulleless shafts and although it plays great, I'm afraid the decision goes to the Tiger shaft. Does this mean I'm gonna change shafts??

As a lot of you know I enjoy collecting cues and appreciate the nuances each cue provides. Since I'm not making my living potting balls I'm not sure if I want to replace the shafts on all my cues, but if my life depended on winning games it would be a no brainer and I would switch to the Tiger shaft immediately.

Thanks Tate for the opportunity to try this shaft, it's appreciated.

TommyT

Last edited: