My "fancy" one piece conversion.

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My youngest son wants my Schon or Samsara...he said either would be fine. Really? You're 13, very responsible kid, but I'm not cutting him loose with cues over 2k. So I offered to make one for him and he was thrilled.

So off we go!

Cut that baby in half and faced it off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368216674.521008.jpg

Installed the pin, chamfered it this time Brent, runs super true! Cut joint to fit the linen.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368216728.916894.jpg

Custom cut glue relief...coping saw!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368216840.216702.jpg

Installed the joint, used epoxy this time.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368216902.949568.jpg

Cut it down to size.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368216933.016090.jpg

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time for some butt action! Cut the tenon for the cap. Again, custom glue relief cuts.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217023.666902.jpg

Glued that baby on, used tool post for some pressure.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217045.183190.jpg

Break time...letting glue dry.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217107.732939.jpg

He could sleep anywhere!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217128.366762.jpg

Turned down the butt cap.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217150.649447.jpg

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted the bumper to be recessed, so I bored out the butt cap to slightly under the OD of the bumper.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217209.316104.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217227.043693.jpg

Fits great!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217245.133195.jpg

Shaft time!

Cut the tenon, glue relief and epoxied!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217286.749596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217300.316733.jpg

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trimmed up joint ring.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217348.066735.jpg

Sanded and almost ready for clear.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217384.349603.jpg

My son can wait to get it and I've "hookered" up a one piece cue. Got a few more to do this week.

Dexter says woof and have a great weekend!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368217501.216641.jpg

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have black lab that lays down and sits still?
Mine is a year old and wound tight, no time for rest.

Nice cue project, thanks for sharing.

POOLGODBEWITHME

Tom "B" player
Silver Member
Labs

I've got a one year old lab also, she pees on her own legs cause she can't stand still long enough to go, they calm down at around three years, I've had a bunch of them since I was a kid. I'm into springer spaniels now, the lab is my wife's. oh, and nice work tank
Tom

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

Dam Tank I remember not to long ago when you where asking about what lathe to buy. Looks like Todd's lathe is treating you well. From what I can see you have been running full steam ahead. Way to go Tank. Love seeing all your projects and progress with them. I have been doing cue repairs for 30 years now, I'm 50 years old and started when I was younger then 20.
I never in all the years I have been doing cue repairs wanted to even think about building a cue. It's just something I never had an interest in doing. You hear so many cue makers say to repair guys or some one just starting out with new lathe say wait till you get the bug, Better start buying wood now things like that. Thanks to you and seeing this cue your making for your son I think I'm going to convert one of the sweet old house cues I have into a two piece cue. After 30 years I guess it's about time. But I don't think I will move as fast as you have LOL. Just one question for you now and maybe more later. When you cut the house cue into two, I would think that with at least the saw blade with that there would be a big difference in size when you match both ends again after the cut, I know you don't have tapering with your lathe so How did you get both ends to match up in size.. I hope I explained this in a way that you understand what I'm asking.

Beautiful Black Lab you have there, Best dog breed ever, Have three in my family, We are all Black lab lovers.

Attachments

• shaft.png
    shaft.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He was three on Xmas Eve. He's the 3rd lab I've had and he has been the exact opposite of what a "normal" lab should be. He's a wonderful dog, he loves hanging in the shop with me...until I turn on the shop vac! :D

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dam Tank I remember not to long ago when you where asking about what lathe to buy. Looks like Todd's lathe is treating you well. From what I can see you have been running full steam ahead. Way to go Tank. Love seeing all your projects and progress with them. I have been doing cue repairs for 30 years now, I'm 50 years old and started when I was younger then 20.
I never in all the years I have been doing cue repairs wanted to even think about building a cue. It's just something I never had an interest in doing. You hear so many cue makers say to repair guys or some one just starting out with new lathe say wait till you get the bug, Better start buying wood now things like that. Thanks to you and seeing this cue your making for your son I think I'm going to convert one of the sweet old house cues I have into a two piece cue. After 30 years I guess it's about time. But I don't think I will move as fast as you have LOL. Just one question for you now and maybe more later. When you cut the house cue into two, I would think that with at least the saw blade with that there would be a big difference in size when you match both ends again after the cut, I know you don't have tapering with your lathe so How did you get both ends to match up in size.. I hope I explained this in a way that you understand what I'm asking.

Beautiful Black Lab you have there, Best dog breed ever, Have three in my family, We are all Black lab lovers.

Thanks you, from cue manipulation, don't feel I'm a "maker" just yet, to the pooch compliments.

I'm glad you caught the bug to begin construction! Can't wait to see your pics!

When I cut the cue in half, I use a coping saw, it's got a really thin blade so there's not a large gap to fill...so to speak. Hope that makes sense.

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Tank

Thanks Tank, Hey Check this out I was thinking of getting one for my lathe also, I think this will give you the ability to taper small length like joints and butt plates. Might work for guys like us who don't have full taper bars.
I think this would have been good for you to taper that joint on your son's cue. Good luck and thanks again. Don't hold your breath waiting for pictures, I will order everything I need before I start. Tanks again Tank..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190836240364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
offsetting the tailstock is all you need to taper collars and buttcaps.....
But then you need to have a good length out of the headstock

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Tank, Hey Check this out I was thinking of getting one for my lathe also, I think this will give you the ability to taper small length like joints and butt plates. Might work for guys like us who don't have full taper bars.
I think this would have been good for you to taper that joint on your son's cue. Good luck and thanks again. Don't hold your breath waiting for pictures, I will order everything I need before I start. Tanks again Tank..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190836240364?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I like that! May try it out!

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for tapering, for some reason I was under the impression you were talking about the tenon for the joint and butt cap. That's what I get for typing without thinking! Understood! I may try a "generic" taper with some sandpaper on a cue that I practiced on. Once I get all this minor stuff down, I'm going to buy something I can taper with. I'd like to buy one now, but that's putting the cart before the horse in my case. As always, appreciate all the kudos, advice and help. I hope I can return it!