My Thoughts On Kamui Chalk

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably the worst chalk I've ever used. I got it as a gift for Christmas and thought I would try it as to not be rude. What a mistake. Based on my experience with pro wouldn't advise anyone to use it. The only time one using it now is on my break cue and jump cue.
Firstly is the mess it makes of the shaft and my hand. I played for 3 hours today and it looked like I'd shown a smurf a 'good time'. Its almost clay-like and not at all like chalk I've used before. It leaves looking blue lines all over the table too, which isn't important to some, but it pissed me off having to wipe them all the time.
The biggest let down for me was how much it stuck to the cue ball. I've never got so many kicks in my life. I had like a year's worth of kicks in the space of 3 hours. Wtf, kamui? Im not into cleaning the white every other shot, you can't get any rhythm.
So yeah, I'm reverting back to Masters.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up in the same place as you. It sure was sticky and gave some marginal increase in confidence on high spin shots, but wasn't worth the trouble of having to keep an eye on my chalk to make sure it didn't get legs.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it the red label Kamui or blue label?
I understand the red label 1.21 is extremely paste like and is designed to not be applied that often. It's also more messy, sticking to cue ball, etc as you have reported.

I have only used the blue label .98 and although somewhat messy it wasn't as sticky as I heard the 1.21 was. It worked extremely well in terms of no miscues and prolonged the life of my tip when I had only two layers left due to the low abrasive formula.

Of the pros I've seen using it, from the Ko bros to Ruslan the Russian to Ralf Souquet, they were always using the .98 blue label.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it the red label Kamui or blue label?
I understand the red label 1.21 is extremely paste like and is designed to not be applied that often. It's also more messy, sticking to cue ball, etc as you have reported.

I have only used the blue label .98 and although somewhat messy it wasn't as sticky as I heard the 1.21 was. It worked extremely well in terms of no miscues and prolonged the life of my tip when I had only two layers left due to the low abrasive formula.

Of the pros I've seen using it, from the Ko bros to Ruslan the Russian to Ralf Souquet, they were always using the .98 blue label.
Its the. 98.
I found it extremely sticky and clumpy. Its very good chalk in that it does what chalk is meant to do and stops miscues but I was getting skid after skid. It just zapped the life out of the cue ball and the amount of times I came short of position by a foot or more was ridiculous.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Ran into the same thing years ago when it first came out. Only bought it for the experience in case I was ever asked about it.

Masters Blue FTW

:smile:

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a cube and never again on my home table (or even in my bag). What a mess

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone gave me a cube as a present once and I used it until someone stole it. Use Masters or Blue Diamond (the best chalk I've ever used). Kamui chalk, like everything else they make, is only widely used due to marketing and sponsorships. It's not because it's better, they are just master marketers. So good, in fact, that people are buying $30 pieces of chalk...incredible.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Probably the worst chalk I've ever used. I got it as a gift for Christmas and thought I would try it as to not be rude. What a mistake. Based on my experience with pro wouldn't advise anyone to use it. The only time one using it now is on my break cue and jump cue.
Firstly is the mess it makes of the shaft and my hand. I played for 3 hours today and it looked like I'd shown a smurf a 'good time'. Its almost clay-like and not at all like chalk I've used before. It leaves looking blue lines all over the table too, which isn't important to some, but it pissed me off having to wipe them all the time.
The biggest let down for me was how much it stuck to the cue ball. I've never got so many kicks in my life. I had like a year's worth of kicks in the space of 3 hours. Wtf, kamui? Im not into cleaning the white every other shot, you can't get any rhythm.

It's nasty stuff. Wait until you see a pool table after an evening of play...Every power shot leaves a long streak of chalk that cannot easily removed. It fouls the cue, your clothes, your hands..The local pool hall was going to ban it, but fortunately everyone that used it came to the same conclusion as me.

If you have trouble getting chalk to stick to your tip I recommend Predator chalk. Not as pricey, and does the job. I use the "Masters" myself, but have the Predator in my case for days with high humidity etc.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What did you expect for nearly $30??? Perfection??? :shrug:

A favorite of many, many here. You owe it to yourself to try it...

mchalk.jpg

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you chalk after every shot it really doesn't matter what you use so........

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Kamui chalk

Its just to expensive, and Its messy.
Personally I think magic chalk might be the best chalk on the market...............

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me it seems like the Kamui chalk was a short fad, I almost never see anyone who use it anymore, and when I ask players who used to use it, the answer why they don't use it anymore had nothing to do with the price, but that the chalk is messy and that it clogs up the CB.
I use the Predator chalk and think it works fine.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I got some magic chalk as a Christmas gift and it does seem to be high quality. Seems better than predator or blue diamond chalk imo. Having said that, masters is still good stuff and priced right to boot.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should try the Outsville chalk. It is great stuff. I think better than the Kamui 0.98
Neil

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should try the Outsville chalk. It is great stuff. I think better than the Kamui 0.98
Neil
Agreed..outsville was great. But it did leave white streaks on the table, and there was a fair amount of flaking that occurred on my cubes.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Pink lady recommended magic chalk to me. Anyone know how I can get my smurf like hands on some in the uk?

Hey Pidge, my closet dealer is in Germany at Double Dave Cues.

info@doubledavecues.com

I'm sure they can ship quite easily to the UK.

Give it a whirl, you won't be disappointed. I guarantee it.

RJ

PS: And I agree, I really dislike Kamui chalk. You don't have to buy Magic Chalk, buy anything other than Kamui. Try Great White, Predator, Blue Diamond, whatever, they are all premium chalk that is a fraction of the price of Kamui.

Last edited: