My thoughts on some rules to fix pool.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So everyone has there ideas on how to fix pool. But here is some of mine. Safety's have to go. I get so bored seeing a safety battle between pros and such so they need to go. Every shot you need to make a ball or attempt to make a ball. Ball in hand has to go. The rule should be if a foul occurs you play the ball where it lies. Slop needs to count in all games. This one is more for the amateurs to get them more interested in the game.

Also of course all tables need to be 9 foot and leagues need to be in house at pool halls. All leagues need to be able to take cards no more cash only.

Thoughts?
Nobody cares.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you explain more about this obstacle ball thing. It sounds interesting. Please keep terms simple I dont know much about pool.
If you play 9 ball out of a 15 ball rack, there are 6 nothing balls to contend with. You can replace these with numberless balls of a single color. I like grey. Of course any set of new rules could be implemented to deal with these obstacle balls. Other than that, the game is still 9 ball.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool should be free. That’s how we make it better! There should be people out there who are forced to pay for our pool game. And all of our other hobbies too! That would make everything better! And who’s going to pay for it? Your parents! That’s right. Just move back in with them and mooch. Solves multiple problems.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play 9 ball out of a 15 ball rack, there are 6 nothing balls to contend with. You can replace these with numberless balls of a single color. I like grey. Of course any set of new rules could be implemented to deal with these obstacle balls. Other than that, the game is still 9 ball.
So you would rack 9 ball with 6 grey balls to make a 15 ball rack. What happens when you make these grey balls on the break? Also what happens if you make them on accident? I am assuming you would not want to make them on purpose.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
It would be like playing baseball without anybody in the outfield…

All offense and no defense takes away half of the game.
its called homerun derby

in pool thats practicing set shots or trick shots

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you would rack 9 ball with 6 grey balls to make a 15 ball rack. What happens when you make these grey balls on the break? Also what happens if you make them on accident? I am assuming you would not want to make them on purpose.
Make rules. Base rule: nothing. These are magical balls that only obstruct and interfere. They come and go as they please. The game is still short rack rotation, only harder/complex-er.
If <nothing> can't be a rule in your bar, then you can handle the grey balls as permissively or restrictively as you like.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The best rule is anyone that plays like an APA 4 only makes APA 4 level shots. Try to enforce that and see what results you get.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best rule is anyone that plays like an APA 4 only makes APA 4 level shots. Try to enforce that and see what results you get.
What does an APA level 4 really mean? You start out at level 3 so a level 4 is not that much more advanced.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
9 ball was allready fixed. It's called 10 ball and nobody watches it. Even 10 ball has been tampered with quite a bit recently. Both 9 ball and 10 ball have seen breakboxes, 9 ball has had the rack moved, 10 ball had call shot/call safe. Everything that could be tried, has been tried. Frankly, every time people try to fix these games, they make them complicated and unwatchable. The new break rules are idiotic, and makes the game a complete crap shoot. For a game to be at least somewhat entertaining, the audience needs to know what is going on. A guy breaks and makes two balls, and have to turn the table over to his opponent, wtf is that? Every thing that has been changed in 9 ball over the years have been to make it "fair" with shorter races. It went totally the wrong way. Alternate break, 3 point rule, break boxes, pattern racking, racking templates, it has been a complete disaster. The clock needs to be wound all the way back for 9 ball to be viable, to undo all the moronic changes that well meaning idiots have made to it over the years. As is, it's a stupid game. We're going to end up with races to 3 with some sort of powerball machine throwing the balls out instead of an actual break.

I live in Europe and EVERY flippin' year the break rules change. The box moves, the 9 moves, 3 point rules, no 3 point rule....I hate this stupid back and forth. What kind of sport has the rules changing every season? You know that guy who complains every tournament when he loses, blaming everything but himself? They listen to that guy EVERY year and implement all the changes he suggests, that's what ruined the sport, they couldn't ignore that guy. Even as screwed up as 9 ball is right now, I think I'd be ok with it if they COULD JUST STOP FUCKING AROUND WITH THE GOD DAMNED RULES EVERY YEAR!

IMO the best game, that develops the most complete player is rotation. 15 ball break which is hard to master. This break rewards power. There are many balls on the table, interesting strategy and most of all it's a fair game. You get points for the balls you put down. The Filipinos are great all around players for these reasons, they have to bank, kick safe, play caroms and combos, the game has it all. Most of all the rules are easy to explain and understand and don't need one hundred stupid exceptions.

The IPT showed that 8 ball, which EVERYBODY understands can be a very competitive game, even for pros, under the right conditions. For an audience, that is the best chance our game has. The IPT did most things right, as far as rules and equipment goes.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
What does an APA level 4 really mean? You start out at level 3 so a level 4 is not that much more advanced.
Read this chart:
An APA 4 is someone who can barely play at all. At that skill level one is just barely above a non-player, and will occationally lose to non-players.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO the best game, that develops the most complete player is rotation. 15 ball break which is hard to master. This break rewards power. There are many balls on the table, interesting strategy and most of all it's a fair game. You get points for the balls you put down. The Filipinos are great all around players for these reasons, they have to bank, kick safe, play caroms and combos, the game has it all. Most of all the rules are easy to explain and understand and don't need one hundred stupid exceptions.
Even this is a fail if they only go to 61 or worse 60. I'd like to see it played a couple different ways: like 9 or 10 ball except the last ball on the table regardless of number is the rack objective. OR with Asian scoring but a running tally of points is kept - again forcing play to the last ball. Even one hole could be played to the last ball with a running tally per session.

SJpilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm saying that if you prefer pool without safety play, you can play the ghost.
iirc there was an all offense 7 ball tournament for a while, bih if your opponent missed a shot. I don't think it lasted long maybe 2 or 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad fact is that
a) pool is not broken
b) attempting to "fix" pool with rule changes simply makes the situation worse,
c) AND there are too many other distraction now-a-days that the "pool" of people compatible with playing pool has diminished greatly.

Scrunge19

Registered
Instead of fixing pool, I wish I could fix my brain so that it doesn't compel me to click the 'Show ignored content' button every. single. time. I think it's trying to off itself a few cells at a time.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
So everyone has there ideas on how to fix pool. But here is some of mine. Safety's have to go. I get so bored seeing a safety battle between pros and such so they need to go. Every shot you need to make a ball or attempt to make a ball. Ball in hand has to go. The rule should be if a foul occurs you play the ball where it lies. Slop needs to count in all games. This one is more for the amateurs to get them more interested in the game.

Also of course all tables need to be 9 foot and leagues need to be in house at pool halls. All leagues need to be able to take cards no more cash only.

Thoughts?

The beauty of this game, outside of sanctioned or official events, is that you can play by whatever rules you and your opponent choose to use.

But I have a few questions.
A fter reading another one your posts, where you wrote.... "Please keep terms simple I dont know much about pool", it makes me wonder....

How long have you been playing pool? How well do you play? What exactly do you think needs fixed in pool? And are these "fixes" focused on improving the game itself or simply focused on self-interest based on your own skills or lack of skills?

I believe anyone who loves and appreciates the difficulty of the game enjoys a good safety battle. They relish in the ability to camp their opponent up in order to get a ball in hand and win the game. It's like setting a trap in chess, and the reward can be very satisfying and very fun.

In pool, a great safety often requires great skill, and because of this I've learned that people who complain about safety play often do so because they don't have such skills. And instead of learning and developing better skills, they would rather change the rules to suit their own skill level. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but it sort of seems that way.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The beauty of this game, outside of sanctioned or official events, is that you can play by whatever rules you and your opponent choose to use.

But I have a few questions.
A fter reading another one your posts, where you wrote.... "Please keep terms simple I dont know much about pool", it makes me wonder....

How long have you been playing pool? How well do you play? What exactly do you think needs fixed in pool? And are these "fixes" focused on improving the game itself or simply focused on self-interest based on your own skills or lack of skills?

I believe anyone who loves and appreciates the difficulty of the game enjoys a good safety battle. They relish in the ability to camp their opponent up in order to get a ball in hand and win the game. It's like setting a trap in chess, and the reward can be very satisfying and very fun.

In pool, a great safety often requires great skill, and because of this I've learned that people who complain about safety play often do so because they don't have such skills. And instead of learning and developing better skills, they would rather change the rules to suit their own skill level. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but it sort of seems that way.

I have been playing pool my entire life. On and off. I am maybe 1 step above a banger. I know the basic rules of 8 ball. About a year ago I just learned the rules to 9 and 10 ball. I have no cue ball control I do not use any english. I do try to plan out or think how I hit things but I will generally just go for the easiest shot. And honestly I kind of would like to learn but the way pool is with all bar boxes and bad bar boxes I really do not see myself learning. Yes I want pool on the 9 footers but I will play a bar box if it is all I have. The fixes were focused from what I could see on fixing the game. But really you could ignore all of my post except for the last line about cards and 9 footers. That is really where I truly believe we need to fix. I dont know how to play safties.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool my entire life. On and off. I am maybe 1 step above a banger. I know the basic rules of 8 ball. About a year ago I just learned the rules to 9 and 10 ball. I have no cue ball control I do not use any english. I do try to plan out or think how I hit things but I will generally just go for the easiest shot. And honestly I kind of would like to learn but the way pool is with all bar boxes and bad bar boxes I really do not see myself learning. Yes I want pool on the 9 footers but I will play a bar box if it is all I have. The fixes were focused from what I could see on fixing the game. But really you could ignore all of my post except for the last line about cards and 9 footers. That is really where I truly believe we need to fix. I dont know how to play safties.

The better you get at controlling the cb, the better you'll get at playing safeties. And trust me, that's when you might decide that an awesome safety shot is just as thrilling (if not more) than an incredible world beater cut shot or multi rail bank or carom or masse or jump shot. Keep stroke'n. I enjoy your posts.