NC Smoking Ban - So Far So Good

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Non-profit private clubs and country clubs - In order to qualify for this exception, the club must satisfy all of the following criteria:

Right. Which he doesn't.

a) The club isn't operated by the members. I've never seen GCB's financials, have you?

b) GCB also isn't a non-profit. I dunno if GCB makes a profit or not, but I know the goal is to! And I seriously doubt he's re-incorported under G.S. C55A to be a non-profit, just to appease the ~25% of the population that does smoke.

Seems to me it will all come down to whether the state puts forth the resources to enforce the ban.

Why wouldn't they? On the 3rd+ offense they start collecting $200. And the general public will be doing the "inspections" for them by registering complaints. It's a win-win for the Health Department.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn, it's been non smoking here for years and it's great. :thumbup2:

It's nice, because I can leave the pool hall without smelling like a huge cigarette, and I can breathe a lot easier in the room.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
I agree
The smoking ban didn't seem to have any effect on business. I was soooooo happy to walk in to the pool hall without a cloud hanging in the air. I was really surprised to see no one bucking the system.

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
On the basis they are a private club charging membership. (I wished the owner luck cuz I don't think it's gonna fly.)

It won't
The hall I go to was going to try to do the same thing. They soon found out that it wasn't going to work out like that.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Monitor needed

IS THERE A MONITOR AROUND? PLEASE MOVE THIS SUBJECT TO NON POOL RELATED.

Sorry, just that non smokers seem to be the complainers. They can go to establishments that actually don't smoke with their time and money.

In Toledo, it killed bars and pool halls. Average loss 30 to 40%. Now officials seem to just ignore the law. Better for business but bad for those who believe in the law.

Again move this subject off the main forum.

Thanks

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The North Carolina Smooking Ban went into effect this past Saturday. So far everything is business as usual in the pool halls. There have been a couple of halls where the business seems to have picked up but only 4 days into the ban it is way to early to see what the true effects the ban will have on business, good or bad.

Congratulations NC! Hopefully all of the other states follow.

We've been smoke free here for YEARS now and its great.

Smokers can smoke outside all they want, non-smokers should have to go outside for a breath of fresh air.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The North Carolina Smooking Ban went into effect this past Saturday. So far everything is business as usual in the pool halls. There have been a couple of halls where the business seems to have picked up but only 4 days into the ban it is way to early to see what the true effects the ban will have on business, good or bad.

I wish we had a ban where I'm at. They have 'no smoking' in most public places, but bars and poolhalls that have food service that accounts for a certain percentage of gross sales, are exempt. Go figure.
The argument that a ban on smoking creates a loss of patronage, in my opinion doesn't wash. If it were so, where do these people go, up in smoke? And, if the logic is that banning smoking drives people away, then doesn't the same logic say they only came to smoke, and that playing pool was just something to occupy their time, while they smoked?

ftgokie

D player extraordinaire
Silver Member
IS THERE A MONITOR AROUND? PLEASE MOVE THIS SUBJECT TO NON POOL RELATED.

Sorry, just that non smokers seem to be the complainers. They can go to establishments that actually don't smoke with their time and money.

In Toledo, it killed bars and pool halls. Average loss 30 to 40%. Now officials seem to just ignore the law. Better for business but bad for those who believe in the law.

Again move this subject off the main forum.

Thanks

On the top statement, I am picturing a kid jumping up and down screaming for a Moderator :shakehead:

Seriously :rolleyes:.....he is talking about smoking ban in pool halls.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
The first few weeks of January are always difficult for bars/poolrooms. Everyone makes resolutions that they're going to diet, quit drinking, quit gambling, save money, etc. So they stay home.

Eventually, the lure of sin overcomes their will power and they come back out into public.

I sold my bar back in November (thank god!), but the spot I've been hanging out at since, which is always packed, has been very slow since the 1st.

Give it a month or so and we'll see what impact the smoking ban is really going to have. As a smoker I can tell you it f*cking sucks to stand out in the cold.

eric

I don't remember you being a (brrr) smoker Eric. Where do you hang out now?

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent a winter in nj working on cell towers n nj is non-smoking in all bars n pool halls. it was awsome coming back to hotel and not smelling like a cig, plus the bars were very busy there and people adapted. at first its doom n gloom by the smokers, but it all settles down and gets back to business as normal, people adapt. it really is the right decision for all involved, smokers can go outside and smoke and non-smokers can breathe clean air while having a good time. everybody wins in my opinion

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member

All I can say is hoorah that it finally passed!! I regularly play @ Babineau's and Paul graciously started his ban prior to the "go live" date. I can now breathe and don't have to worry about what clothes I wear in there.

As an ex-smoker, I understand the addiction, but it is the single most disease prevention measure folks can take is to become a non-smoker.

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't remember you being a (brrr) smoker Eric. Where do you hang out now?

Pack/day since I was an early teenager. :(

Jakes, on Spring Garden St. Not the best spot to play serious pool, but the people, food, and drinks are great. Hell, I hung out there while I owned Shooters too.

Happy New Year, Lou!

eric

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Pack/day since I was an early teenager. :(

Jakes, on Spring Garden St. Not the best spot to play serious pool, but the people, food, and drinks are great. Hell, I hung out there while I owned Shooters too.

Happy New Year, Lou!

eric
The scenery is GOOD there :thumbup: Do they still have the quarterly 8ball tourneys?

Happy New Year to you Eric..

Drater

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The scenery is GOOD there :thumbup: Do they still have the quarterly 8ball tourneys?

Happy New Year to you Eric..

Yes, they do. I think they had one back in mid-late October. Tony Morrison knocked it off, I believe (I wasn't there).

Next time I'm headed to Raleigh I'll make sure to let you know. I do go out there on occasion to visit a buddy and play pool at NYB & Snookers.

eric

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
Yes, they do. I think they had one back in mid-late October. Tony Morrison knocked it off, I believe (I wasn't there).

Next time I'm headed to Raleigh I'll make sure to let you know. I do go out there on occasion to visit a buddy and play pool at NYB & Snookers.

eric

Give me a call if you want to come out this way... do you still have my number..I lost yours:rolleyes: with the last phone. I live in Durham near Chapel Hill and I like to play at Oscars, but anywhere is fine too.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I spent a winter in nj working on cell towers n nj is non-smoking in all bars n pool halls. it was awsome coming back to hotel and not smelling like a cig, plus the bars were very busy there and people adapted. at first its doom n gloom by the smokers, but it all settles down and gets back to business as normal, people adapt. it really is the right decision for all involved, smokers can go outside and smoke and non-smokers can breathe clean air while having a good time. everybody wins in my opinion

See, I told ya.

nancewayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In N.C., we're 2 months into the statewide ban on smoking in
public places (including bar/pool halls). Most have obeyed the law and smoking went outside. There are a few that are still either ignoring the law or possibly taking the issue to the courts. What has happened in other states that put the law in place? Are there or were there establishments that continue to allow smoking? Did any actually go to court and fight (and win?) the rights to continue to smoke in their places?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I haven't heard of any places being cited for breaking the smoking ban here in Maine, and we've had the ban for several years now. As I mentioned earlier in this (or another similar) thread, people adapted rather quickly, and it ain't no big deal now.

Just this past week, the State University announced that the entire campus will be non-smoking soon. It is the way of the world... there are plenty of places to smoke if you'd like, and those who aren't interested in smelling like a cigarette or breathing that stuff don't have to if they don't want to.

Hang in there, North Carolina. Everybody will make it through this.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
I think most of the pool halls here in ohio have upheld the law...I say most because I quit going so I cant speak for some...As for the bars some still allow smoking and whats funny is when you go to the bars that allow smoking they are packed and the ones that dont allow it are like a ghost town...Funny how the smoking ban is "good" for bussiness...

RD3P

Banned
the public smoking ban is the biggest crock of shit...period.
the law itself is bull....15 feet from a door outside??? thats every spot on the sidewalk.
they dont really enforce it like Nazi's but they could if they wanted too....and thats the point.

Where are all these non smokers that were gonna come out in droves to support Taverns/clubs/pool halls/Lounges/Bar and grills....where did they go????

here in IL smokings been banned for over 2 years and i still havent seen these non-smokeing complainers/law makers drop one dime into these places since the bann. They never even patronized the places that they banned smoking from in the first place.(their to busy hanging at their local "alternative establishment" probably.

state gov passed the laws because the got a nice little incentive from the insurance companys and such.

i dont mind smoking outside...and i certainly dont mind people not smoking right next to me while im eating at a resturaunt....i can understand no smoking in resturaunts.....but bars/ lounges/ clubs / halls/ vfw...no. it should be the property owners decision...if he wants to make smokers go outside or have a smoking section, It could as simple as if you dont like the smoke go down the street to the place where the owner doenst allow it.

Smoking ban, liquor taxes, strict enforcement of DUI laws, have choked the bar buisiness. Its down at least 30% all over.

with Just about every state having a bann on smoking of sorts...whats gonna be the next pea brained project to **** the american people...Pretty soon the price of a beer is gonna cost so much...no bar will beable to stay open...everyone will have to start opening speakeazys again....if you dont like drinking and you dont like smoking hell maybee you dont like eating Meat....Thats fine, but dont force your Ideas onto every one in america. its pretty sad how a few crybabies can ruin everything ....

this smoking law is completely un-american.....its borderline communist.

Last edited: