Need advice As I used to be pretty good now I am NOT

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi my name is Scott this will be my first post in the forums except for trying to identify a cue. anyways, I am 38y.o. I have been playing 10-11 years, and when i first started I was the typical banger. it was when I heard someone make a sarcastic comment about this I decided to try what ever I could to become a better player all around. I bought videos, books, and played on 4 nights a week.

In 3 years I went from a 4 in the APA to a 7. and from a 4 in the BCA to an 7-8 depending on which league i played in (one goes from 3 to 8)

I now am a not very consistant 6 in both leagues, and I must admit I love the game and am not a quitter but it isn't as fun I dont mind loosing. but not playing well and giving somebody a match ruins it for me.

I have a habit of expecting the worse like a shitty leave that somebody didn't intend on . so I try to play smarter and that isn't working out so well either I will try 2 way shots, so not to leave my opponent an easy table and possibly make a shot. and I will most likely do something stupid.

so my question is what are you guys doing to keep mental focus? as I know my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

To add to this my life is a lot more hectic now than it was then. My work isn't doing as well. and i have a 3y.o. daughter. but I feel that if i played at a certain level once I should be able to do this again.

Last edited:

johnqbs

john@qbs
Silver Member
i know where you are comeing from

its not just you , i remember when life seemed to be easer.
i think it is the stress we are all under that effects every part of our life
even work to our fun time . it is hard to get this hard economy out of our minds . just keep playing & expect that everything will get better. the money part and fun time. i have found out over the years if i am haveing a problem there are others in the same boat. take care johnqbs anderson sc

searcyD

Banned
just hit balls man. then get in competition. well actually, learn how to play the game right first, then get into competition. well, get a cue that hits good, then learn how to hit a ball. actually, find a man that can hit a ball, then, ask him to help you. then practice.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a few really nice cues have been to a few instructors, who both said great fundamentals and a pretty good eye and sense of the game. so i am not sure what you mean but thanks for replying

searcyD

Banned
I have a few really nice cues have been to a few instructors, who both said great fundamentals and a pretty good eye and sense of the game. so i am not sure what you mean but thanks for replying

find an oldtimer that has lots of knowledge about the game. have him check your cue and fundamentals. check your premises. if your instructor is telling you to spin balls, hes giving you bologni.

then you practice what he tells you. good luck bc this is one in a million. but at least you're on the right track. but you did ask how right?

is that really nice cue a west?

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he knows how to hit a ball by looking at his previous skill levels and what do you want to check his cue for?

When I loose mental focus, I take a couple of days, and at the extreme weeks off and try not to think about pool. When I come off, it doesn't take more than a few racks to get up to speed and I am mentally recharged. As far as during matches, I think it comes from experience and developing the discipline to stay focused every match and every shot. I certainly am not perfect at that.

Since it seems you may have less time to play now, make your time on the table count. Gather up some good drills, find a practice partner that shares similar goals to yourself and is a strong shooter. I try to write down something I learn or something I did good or bad each session.

From my limited experience this is just some of the things I felt have helped me. Good luck!

searcyD

Banned
I think he knows how to hit a ball by looking at his previous skill levels and what do you want to check his cue for?

When I loose mental focus, I take a couple of days, and at the extreme weeks off and try not to think about pool. When I come off, it doesn't take more than a few racks to get up to speed and I am mentally recharged. As far as during matches, I think it comes from experience and developing the discipline to stay focused every match and every shot. I certainly am not perfect at that.

Since it seems you may have less time to play now, make your time on the table count. Gather up some good drills, find a practice partner that shares similar goals to yourself and is a strong shooter. I try to write down something I learn or something I did good or bad each session.

From my limited experience this is just some of the things I felt have helped me. Good luck!

so you're saying its really easy to hit balls? and that a good cue is easy to find? or that it dosn't help you hit balls?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I dunno for sure if it's your focus, sounds more like an attitude thing.

7 in the APA means anywhere from a C+ to a top pro. That isn't a knock, it's true... they need to tweak the rating scale but it only goes so high. So what you might be seeing is you got to be a 7 for a bit but you were rated incorrectly, or the rest of the league came up in skill, or this is a temporary setback from a few bad weeks.

Don't sweat the number. The number is just an attempt to simplify something complex.

But it's good to sweat your actual skill level and want to improve. Pool players often overestimate their own game a bit (no offense) and at some point a lot of us get a rude awakening. Suddenly you're not spanking everyone else, but that doesn't mean you got significantly worse. Maybe the competition really did get better. Or you're just not putting the same hours into the pool hall.

For now, you should be happy... you probably have the ability to play as a 7 somewhere in there, but your weaker rating means you won't have to give up as much weight in your matches.

Stick to the idea of trying to play smart, and most importantly put CARE into all your leaves. Really pay attention to the exact point you'd want the cue ball to be, ask where you'd put it with ball in hand on the next shot and see if you can get there, or at least send the cue ball on a good line towards that spot. Also ask yourself what's the worst thing that can happen leave-wise... straight in? wrong side of the ball? Make sure you play position to avoid that worst-case-scenario.

This mindset will help you get out of the racks you're "supposed to" run out.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
I used to play in the SA class here in Japan. SA is between A and pro. And before anyone comes in with "Probably rating yourself higher than you really are" here in Japan you get ranked by how well you play. There is no sandbagging here. If you move up you do not move back down. But, to move up, you have to have consistent wins. And just to clarify that I'm not over talking myself, I was chosen to represent Shizuoka Prefecture in the All-Japan amateur tournament 4 years running. Out of 360+ players my best finish was top 16 and nothing lower than top 64.

My final year of playing like that was in 1999. The billiards association changed directors. At that time I was ranked number one in the prefecture so I was slated to attend the All-Japan that following spring. The new director said straight out "Jim can't go, he's not Japanese". When he said that it wasn't meaning that you have to be Japanese to join, he was being a racist *****. I'd known him for years and had plenty of those kind of problems with him. That set me off so bad that I literally quit playing pool. I swear to God I never even picked up a cue or walked into a pool room for damn near 7 years after that. I was really soured. Oh, the board of director's got him to change that decision about me going that year but it was too late. The damage had been done. I didn't want to be associated with pool if it was going to be like that.

After about 6 or 7 years a new pool hall opened near my house and I decided to go check it out. I had sold my cues, cases etc... so I went in with nothing. I started getting back into it slowly and ordered a cue from Mottey. I figured it would take at least a year to get the cue so I would ease my way back into it.

I've been back semi-regular since then. I play on weekends and may go in during the week every once in a while. I'm still ranked in the SA class, because you don't go down, but I'd get barbecued if I joined a tournament. But you know what? I still have no desire whatsoever to compete again like I used to. I still have that bad taste in my mouth from that garbage. I'm perfectly fine playing with friends for enjoyment. Only tournaments I join now are 3-cushion.

If I had to rank myself........I'm probably mid A-class. If I joined a tournament as an A, which I'm not allowed to do, I'd probably have a chance, notice I say probably. But if I joined as SA, no way. They'd send me home within the first few matches.

I'm 42 years old now. Keep it simple is how I feel. hehe!!
MULLY

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool thanks for the replies, so the cue's are a nice joss east Mid 90's it plays really well and I have a one of a kind cue owned by "joe balsis" (straight pool fame) there are pics in the classifieds.

anyway I know that being a 7 doesn't mean a whole lot, as far as being on the level of a pro. not what i am trying to say. i am just saying that a few years back I played on a couple leagues (8 ball) I stayed at my ranking by playing all the higher ranked people. most with extremely low inning matches it seemed that everything i did flowed perfectly I just wonder if I will ever reach that level again, I dont have to be a 7 (would rather not) but as I said i try to play smarter and the outcome is worse. to the point that it seems that i wasn't meant to win. I feel that this may all stem from lack of practice, and a busy home life.

This all stems from just going out to a club on weekends and just playing aweful. i mean I can see that the person i am playing isn't doing anything special. and i have chances I dont capitalize on. I will keep on playing through it. but its pissing me off to be honest

oh and I did take a season off from any league play and only go to a local fish and game club to play on weekends

Last edited:

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
One thing that might help you get back in form is to start playing with people that you think are better than you. I think you'll concentrate more.
MULLY
waiting for the "You won't get better without gambling" posts to show up

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
You're trying too hard Scott. Lighten up a little bit and you'll be amazed at how things will smooth out. The great Walter Hagen reminded us to stop and smell the flowers. :)

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi my name is Scott this will be my first post in the forums except for trying to identify a cue. ...

so my question is what are you guys doing to keep mental focus? as I know my eyes aren't as good as they once were.

Hi Scott,

I've had lots of problems with mental focus during competition also. I'm an APA7 and 2 things have improved my concentration and focus at the table. (1) Lots of drills, at least when I have the patience and discipline to do them. and (2) Listening to an MP3 player during competition. Loud, angry music works real good for me. :D

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
I firmly believe that a solid pre-shot routine keeps you focused. This works for me, but I've got to work at it. When I get sloppy and let my pre-shot routine lapse before I execute the shot, I get out of line and miss. Also, playing every shot as if it was your last will keep you in gear. I try not to bang balls with my buddies but its hard when you have a few beers and want to play for fun. I guess if you want to play solid and keep your "A" game solid, you've got to bear down, have solid fundamentals, and want it more that anything. If you let it lapse, your game will too. I don't know why it was easier when I was younger, maybe I had less stressors in life?
Cheers, Mark

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I feel that this may all stem from lack of practice, and a busy home life.

and only go to a local fish and game club to play on weekends

There's your answer.

If all you are doing is going out to play, and that time is limited to weekends, you can't expect to maintain a high level of play.

You have to get in the practice time. It doesn't need to be a "lot" of time, but it must be the right kind of practice. Too many players think throwing balls out on the table and shooting them for hours is practice. It's not. That is just playing, by yourself.
Focused practice is designed to work on specific parts of your game. I really practice on average about an hour a week. But it's how you practice, not how much you practice.

Steve

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi my name is Scott this will be my first post in the forums except for trying to identify a cue. anyways, I am 38y.o. I have been playing 10-11 years, and when i first started I was the typical banger. it was when I heard someone make a sarcastic comment about this I decided to try what ever I could to become a better player all around. I bought videos, books, and played on 4 nights a week.

In 3 years I went from a 4 in the APA to a 7. and from a 4 in the BCA to an 7-8 depending on which league i played in (one goes from 3 to 8)

I now am a not very consistant 6 in both leagues, and I must admit I love the game and am not a quitter but it isn't as fun I dont mind loosing. but not playing well and giving somebody a match ruins it for me.

I have a habit of expecting the worse like a shitty leave that somebody didn't intend on . so I try to play smarter and that isn't working out so well either I will try 2 way shots, so not to leave my opponent an easy table and possibly make a shot. and I will most likely do something stupid.

To add to this my life is a lot more hectic now than it was then. My work isn't doing as well. and i have a 3y.o. daughter. but I feel that if i played at a certain level once I should be able to do this again.

38 years old! My God, you're ancient! :eek:
Just wait until you're 58 years old. Then you'll really play good. As my buddy Steve Mizerak used to say, "Practice, Practice, Practice!"
Just enjoy the game and embrace your busy life and that beautiful little girl.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Don't try to compare yourself to people who play all day every day. There are a thousand reasons why your game isn't as good as it was. I used to know all the reasons, but now that I'm touching on the big 60 I can't remember any of them.

Seriously, for me it's lack of desire, lack of quality time playing, and family priorities. I used to run common 40s 50s and even some 60s and 70s. Now, shoot I break a rack of straight pool open, I identify my next break ball, key ball, and key to key ball, then I proceed to run the rack out blindly shooting off the balls I just identified as the balls to get me to the next rack and wonder WTF just happened.

I'm suffering from an illness called FBD. Fkin Brain Dead. You can't make good play happen, it's easier to just allow it to happen when all the other distractions are in remission.

breaknrunjr

Registered
Are you still playing as often as you used to and reading the books and watching the videos? If not, that could be one cause of your poor play recently. Also, If your play has only been suffering for a few weeks or months, you could be in a slump. Personally, I like to play through my slumps as I believe that all slumps have a cause and finding what’s causing the slump can make you come out of it as a better player than you were before. It sounds like you might believe your mental game is suffering and that it might be the cause of your current state.

As far as keeping your train of thought from derailing (thinking of bad leaves, not concentrating, etc), I can tell you of some things I try. When my opponent is shooting, I try to think about how I would play the rack if I was at the table. Would I try to run out? If so, how would I do it? Do I have to play safe? Where are the problems? I focus on these thoughts because they pre-occupy my mind and keep out the more negative thoughts (my opponent’s so lucky, I’m playing so bad, etc). It can also improve you compare what you do at the table to what your opponent does. As an added bonus, it keeps you concentrated on the game and not on outside distractions.

I must warn you, this won’t be easy to do at first, and it’ll be harder to do in matches when things aren’t going well. However, the more you do it, the more habitual it will become for you until you find yourself doing it without being conscious of it.

It sounds like you’ve also learned that two-way shots aren’t necessarily better than their all-out offense or defense alternatives. That’s because while some shots require no extra effort to get a two-way shot out of it, some shots require a little something extra to get that two-way result. In trying to put that little something extra into the shot, you increase your chances for something to go awry where the all-out offensive or defensive shot might have been more in your comfort zone.

As a final note, the life situations that you have going on outside of pool can make concentrating difficult, but take heart…these situations will either improve or you’ll naturally acclimate yourself to them so that they don’t cause as much stress…just something to keep you optimistic.

Good luck

Monk Slayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll be alright, I promise. I'm in the same boat, and it's slowly coming back. For myself, focus is what I lack compared to what I use to have. When I quit, I think I was just realizing how much focus it really takes to play at a high level. While I was never officially rated back then, I was playing other A players and beating them. I made it a point to blank the mind prior to getting to the table. I found it helped alot focusing the mind. Might sound a bit cuckoo, every bit helps. I do find it frustrating at times when you know so much, but your body doesn't seem to want to cooperate. It's already been said, but I'd like to reiterate it, enforce it. When you practise by yourself, treat each shot to the max, like it's the most difficult shot possible, and if you miss, you lose everything. Good luck and kick some A$$!