Need advice! Bk2 vs. Ob break..whats your input?

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am about to purchase one of them, I have used the bk2 many many times and I like it with both the phenolic and leather tip. Though it is kind of "flashy" with the big logo's all bout it, and I have had some bad breaks with it.

Other hand, the OB break cue, I have used maybe 30 times, and I have not had one bad break with it yet, also it looks much better to me. Although, I do not like that they got rid of the maple ring at the butt cap, and replaced it with tiny "stitch" rings. It has not let me down once yet, and I seem to be able to control the CB much better with the OB Break.

I do wish either one of them was weighted at 17oz. I like the light break cues. I get an incredible break with my friends break and its at the most 17oz and with a 12.6mm shaft, it is a patent pending cue, and I keep forgetting to ask him what kind it is and if I can get one for myself (he is a top notch player, placed 23 I think at the us 9ball am. open)

So, which would you guys prefer, all together you all have much much more experience with both of them and can help me out I know. If anyone has any info on a light, thinner shaft, great break cue, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks all Az'ers.

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, normally I would have 2-3 post at least by now on such topic. Well, I'm still kind of on the fence on this and any input would really be great. Not just OB or bk2 but other lighter possibly thinner shaft break cues. ThNks

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am about to purchase one of them, I have used the bk2 many many times and I like it with both the phenolic and leather tip. Though it is kind of "flashy" with the big logo's all bout it, and I have had some bad breaks with it.

Other hand, the OB break cue, I have used maybe 30 times, and I have not had one bad break with it yet, also it looks much better to me. Although, I do not like that they got rid of the maple ring at the butt cap, and replaced it with tiny "stitch" rings. It has not let me down once yet, and I seem to be able to control the CB much better with the OB Break.

I do wish either one of them was weighted at 17oz. I like the light break cues. I get an incredible break with my friends break and its at the most 17oz and with a 12.6mm shaft, it is a patent pending cue, and I keep forgetting to ask him what kind it is and if I can get one for myself (he is a top notch player, placed 23 I think at the us 9ball am. open)

So, which would you guys prefer, all together you all have much much more experience with both of them and can help me out I know. If anyone has any info on a light, thinner shaft, great break cue, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks all Az'ers.

I like the BK2 with the hard leather tip. I just unscrewed the rubber cap and there appears to be a bolt than you could take out with an allen wrench. I don't know how much weight this would be, but you could try it.

I have a 21 oz Predator Sneaky Pete and decided it was too backweighted for me (18.5"), so I took the bolt out and the cue weight went down to 17.75 oz. Call Predator Cues to see how much that bolt weights and take it out.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Wow, normally I would have 2-3 post at least by now on such topic. Well, I'm still kind of on the fence on this and any input would really be great. Not just OB or bk2 but other lighter possibly thinner shaft break cues. ThNks

What if you could get an OB Break Cue in 17oz and have the shaft turned down at no additional charge, would that help your decision?

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading your original post, it sounds like you have already made your decision. You said you don't like how the BK2 looks and you have had better success with the OB. That sounds like a ringing endorsement to me.

I also like thinner shafts. If I were you, I would call OB and talk to them about the break cue and what your options are. I would be willing to bet that you could get a 17oz cue and they would turn the shaft down to 12.5 or whatever you wanted. Check with them to make sure the warranty is still in place when this is done.

OB is made up of some amazing guys. I would give them my business before I would predator. I have heard some horror stories about predators warranty and the way they treat customers. OB has been a class act everytime I have dealt with them. Looking at your own words and what I have experienced, I would go with OB hands down if those were my options.

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
OB is made up of some amazing guys. I would give them my business before I would predator. I have heard some horror stories about predators warranty and the way they treat customers. OB has been a class act everytime I have dealt with them. Looking at your own words and what I have experienced, I would go with OB hands down if those were my options.

bump bump
royce has been on here many times responding to customer concerns and needs. looks like shanesinott is doing the same

i have never seen a post from predator in response to complaints about their shafts delaminating or ferrules blowing up.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
take it for what it's worth but i don't like the BK2 as much as the OB break cue/shaft. the bk2 works as well as anything else but it really spins the cb too much. it's crazy hard to control the cb breaking wtih it. the OB break is just crazy stiff and the thick taper and leather tip help with cb control

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Sam. Just different in opinions I guess. The bk2 sends the cb flying all around the table no matter how I break. But the OB I was able to keep it center table 80-90% of my breaks. It is stiff and I like that. But so is the Bk. Also the diameter of the Bk is the same as the OB. I don't like any cue in my bridge bigger than 12.75mm, that is why I am excited that Shane of OB cues posted that I can have it turned to what I would like for no extra cost to me. They are a stand out company that is actually in the US not china. Sure maybe you will get lucky and get an old Canadian made Bk or very old Bk made in fl if they ever made them. Just in my eyes, their products and customer service has been slipping dramatically over the past 2-3 years. Why do you see 1st Gen preds selling for premium. Cus they were made right. I think my bizz is going to OB from now on. Unless I need another z but even then I'll be buying a z not a z2. I play mainly with my z but am starting to use my ob2 much more as the days and tourneys go by.
Jmo. Thanks.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Sam. Just different in opinions I guess. The bk2 sends the cb flying all around the table no matter how I break. But the OB I was able to keep it center table 80-90% of my breaks. It is stiff and I like that. But so is the Bk. Also the diameter of the Bk is the same as the OB. I don't like any cue in my bridge bigger than 12.75mm, that is why I am excited that Shane of OB cues posted that I can have it turned to what I would like for no extra cost to me. They are a stand out company that is actually in the US not china. Sure maybe you will get lucky and get an old Canadian made Bk or very old Bk made in fl if they ever made them. Just in my eyes, their products and customer service has been slipping dramatically over the past 2-3 years. Why do you see 1st Gen preds selling for premium. Cus they were made right. I think my bizz is going to OB from now on. Unless I need another z but even then I'll be buying a z not a z2. I play mainly with my z but am starting to use my ob2 much more as the days and tourneys go by.
Jmo. Thanks.

If you get away from the Z, consider the OB classic pro. Same diameter as a Z (11.75). It is a much crisper hit than the original OB shafts. I don't use LD shafts, but if I try them again I am going with an OB classic and having it turned down to 12.5mm.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
OB Break shaft is the NUTS. PLus, made in little ole Texas :)

R.J.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The friends cue in question that says patent pending on the butt cap is from mike gullyasee (spelling).

I've had 2 predator cues that were black finish on the butt. Both of them the black paint would flake off in thumb sized chunks with an accidental drop. Ive seen other predator black colored cues with the same issue over the years. I don't know if it has been improved.

Monkey-Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB hands down. Had the OB break shaft custom made through OB authorised dealer Nielsen billiards. Fits superbly and is so much better than a bk2 (in my opinion). I actually feel the bk is a little on the whippy side in terms of stiffness.

OB = fantastic products hands down.

Evil8 Billiards

EVIL8BILLIARDS.COM
Silver Member
I actually have a bk2 and OB break cue. IMO, OB break cue is better and Shane is a great guy to deal with. :thumbup:

Thus, the bk2 is up for sale.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

thanks all Az'ers.

Buy the OB hands down, if you buy the BK and you have problems getting it fixed is a crap shoot, OB on the other hand stands behind their products 100% and they are made in the Texas verse China!!!:smile:

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Shane. And thanks to everyone else.
AlsO idk if its a gulassy cue. It looks like a mezz pb, leather wrap and cocobolo forearm the tip looks just like a mezz. It's around 17oz or so and thin like 12.5 at least.

As for the break. I am going to order the OB. No question anymore. Thanks all.