Need Help With Harvey Martin/ Bert Schrager -Apprentice/Cuemaker Tree

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, since this is winding down, here is my last post. I received this email from Bert about him remembering Rambow and Willie Hoppe - it is pretty fun and touching so I thought I'd share (Warning: many of you will think Fatboy wrote it, if you know what I mean, but I will fix the big pieces and added some punctuation :D):

"in 1946 i met him (Rambow) and bought 2 cues from him, the man who took me there was also a very close friend of both he and hoppe who i played a game with the next day at my dads american legion meeting. i still remember that night i was "the returningg war hero" and hoppe put his hand on my shoulder and said "son, just enjoy" i was so excited i almost wet my pants! by the yhe way both cues were $26.50 apiece.
Dave, in chicago hoppe would play exabitions with Joe Chamaco i watched every game After the game was overmy dad my mother and i went with Hoppe for coffee Dave, that's anoother storry about a 9 rail bank. Hoppe told me how to make it while we were at the coffee shop that's another story."

I hope you enjoyed the excerpt from the man himself, Bert.

And thanks for doing this, it was a blast to follow and contribute.

Dave

Yes, I believe this winding down! And this all started over "What Cuemakers were in the Smithsonian." I know this list will never be completed, but we have gain a little bit more insight of who were apprentices, workers at Bert shop.

I want to Thankssssss All who post here whether we agree or not!!!!!!! Special THANKZZZZZ to Poolhustler and 12Squared.

All are welcome to use [permission granted] this Cuemaker Tree. Please remember it still work in progress and may be incorrect.

I will be posting any update or major change when I see fit.

More Bert and his apprentices or workers stories would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Again Thank All
Bob Watson

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
I'm working on a broader one, but not as deep.

Basically it begins in 1900 and ends around 2000- "the best 100 years of cue making" for lack of a better title.

Currently it is in excell, in a top to bottom format. I need to re-do it in a left to right format- that will give the flexibility I need to fill it in properly. Right now it's a bit confusing...

But, your first post looks good. Some aprentices I was not aware of listed there.

dpaulnot

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bert Schrager

I've been able to find out about 4 cuemakers that either worked with Bert
or were influenced by his work in one way or another, since I bought one a couple of years ago. The one I've heard mentioned but don't see here is McCworter. So I'm curious as the rest of you. Great post!

Here an update Cuemaker Tree. Again if there any mistake or question Please advise.

View attachment 95294

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump for those that enjoy the history the cuemaking aspect of it all.
thanks for all the work billiardshot

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
I post this on page #4 of this thread.

From page 542 of The Blue Book of Pool Cue. See picture below.

Will the Real Stew or Stu step forward!!!!!!!!!! Or Tell us why there two different spelling.

View attachment 96190

Also newness Update

View attachment 96195

Hi,

I saw this post about my friend and I thought I would share a few things:

Ken (Stupendous) Mortson is one hell of a guy.

Stew and I played golf once a week at the Golf Coarse he works as the manager of the Golf Range for years. A few years ago Stu was 82 years young at the time and we made the turn a I was keeping score and he was one under par. After the back nine he had shot a 77 on a very difficult coarse. He is a great golfer to say the least. His shot making is amazing and he drives the ball about 260. If he could drop a few more birdies a round he would be at 3 or 4 handicap for sure.

Stew's panograph work is old school and his artistic design and expression is truly original. He is a master of syemtry, asemetry and paid very close attention to the geometry he created between the the inlays. He worked at North Hollywood Billiards in the day and knows everybody including all of the big stars. Stew met and started out in Berts shop and has made a ton of cues with hundreds of inlays.

He is the real thing. On Michael Jordon's cue he inlayed over six hundred pieces that represented the 2 Three Petes and the 74 and 6 season they had on the sixth championship. Freeken awesome cue with an african style line artwork.

Stew was from Canada and flew over 200 pathfinder night bombing raids in Lancasters over Germany in WW 2 and then did another hitch in Korea where he gained his US Citizenship in the 50s. Stew has been a great teacher to me and although I did not apprentice with him, the informational knowledge I gained from this man will stay with me the rest of my life, He is a walking encyclopedia when it come to cue makers and cue history. He was a good friend of Harvey Martin.

Stew taught me how to play 3 cushion and he knows all of the shots. We where playing in my room and I watched him run a 9 with the last shot being a 5 rail air shot into an umbrella carom. He called the shot.

Stew should be in the Cue Makers HOF. I hope someone who is in charge of that stuff reads this post. If he gets a chance I will pay for his airfare to get him there. He is a rare piece of Americana.

Buy the way, if anyone out there wants one of his creations he still has a dozen or so of his gems. I watched a guy put down $ 17,000 cash for one of his children. if you wish to get a hold of him just PM me.

One of the hardest things to do in sports is to shoot your age in golf, I have seen him do it as a routine occurrence. By the way if Stew were to play Arnold Palmer today, put all the money on Stu.

A very talented man who excelled and enjoyed anything he did in life. He always did it with Panache but without an over inflated ego which is something we could learn from.

Rick Geschrey

Stew holding an 3" x 18" piece of Macarta at the breakfeast table and few years ago.
moneypics049.jpg

Last edited:

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

I just got off the phone with Stew this morning. The spelling on the Schuller Card is indeed correct and I stand corrected and will amend my other post.

Ken (Stew) Mortson

Rick G

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mamono, Tad Kohara - was Influenced by Harvey Martin and a friend, The old TADs very similar to a Martin Cue. Question would be how much adviced or training did Tad get from H. Martin and over how many months or years?

Just as David P. Kersenbrock work with Bert Schrager, But for how many months or years?

Just as some source say Dave Barenbrugge - was Kersenbrock 3rd disciple [apprentice], But Dave only mention Dieckman in his Bio, in the "Blue Book of Pool Cue". At Dieckman for 2 years.

Lot of questions and surprise hope to be found!

Bob Watson
Aww, Rest In Peace Bob🙏

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
N
Hope this helps
Not sure how this helps. Your diagram is from this AZB thread. Maybe you didn't realize that? And for the last 15 years, it's been getting holes poked at it. The Bender placement is a travesty. Kersenbrock didn't teach Bender how to build cues.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
N

Not sure how this helps. Your diagram is from this AZB thread. Maybe you didn't realize that? And for the last 15 years, it's been getting holes poked at it. The Bender placement is a travesty. Kersenbrock didn't teach Bender how to build cues.
I will let AZers decide .... as mention in earlier posts (page 1 and 2) ... This Cuemaker Tree might not be 100% correct!! And welcome correction or new information

coastydad Post from above link/thread: I believe the "current" Omega cues are made offshore, Taiwan maybe. Omega/DPK was a company owned by Ed Boado outside Chicago, Palatine IL if I remember correctly. Think Mike Bender worked there along with David Kersenbrock. Their cues were very solid, extremely well made and played excellently. The style was "Southwest" with some variations, probably due to Davids influence. Unfortunately, David's personality "quirks" made it difficult to work with the others there and from what I've heard he mainly worked by himself at night. Omega/DPK cues also sponsore Vivian Villareal on the tour for a while.​

dooziexx Post from above link/thread:​

To be exact, Omega started in 1989 with Ed Boado as an investor and Mike Bender as the cue maker in Wauconda, IL which is a Chicago Suburb. Shortyly after, David Kersenbrock joined Omega and they changed the name to Omega/dpk. In 1991 Mike Bender left the company to start his own cues under his name. Mike's brother, Matt, took over and with David, made Omega/dpk cues until the Ed pulled out in 1996. Thats when the shop closed.
Dont confuse Omega/dpk cues for Omega cues that are made overseas. Like the above post said, Omega/dpk cues are highly sought after by collectors and players alike since there are only about approx 700+ cues that were made. Some of the pros that were sponsored by Omega/dpks are Vivian Villareal, Dallas West and Billy Incardona....

Cornerman...Your Article on Mike Bender (Cuemaker), February 2010, Inside Pool Magazine. On Issuu website,see link below

Plus I will add this: a PM:

Monday at 11:17 AM

Since your thread got revitalized...

FYI - Mike Bender didn't apprentice or anything remotely close with Kersenbrock. David spent 5 days at the shop and mostly sat in a corner eating. He did help Mike build a table saw jig, and at some point, Mike switched to making inlay templates using an optical device, which did come from David. Making inlay templates for a pantograph. Anything structural was wholly Mike Bender as he was building cues already, which is why Ed had approached Mike to begin with to be his cue builder. So, I don't want to make it like David contributed nothing. But it wasn't an apprenticeship or even mentoring.

According to Mike, even after he left the shop, David visited the shop but built zero cues at Omega/dpk. Traci Dunham (his wife) was the mastermind of all inlay work except for the piano key rings. This was David's contribution. David did do inlays on a small number of Omega cues, but only his inlay designs. So those cues should be easy to identify. Everything else was the genius of Traci Dunham.

I owe a call in to Matt, but the above is from both Mike and Traci. Traci had continued working at Omega after Mike had left the shop, so all from their side is first hand knowledge of David's activity there. It bothers me when people say that David somehow taught Mike or that they consider an Omega/dpk as a Kersenbrock. That's not reality. When I was writing for InsidePOOL, I was always trying to get the real story rather than the myths.

Last edited: