Never ever try to change a tip while high.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What kind of tip?

I can barely tell where the tip ends and the shaft begins LOL I just know that I probably have pictures of what is the worst tip replacement job I ever seen. The guy that installed the first leather tip ever must have done a better job.

I mean, how can you possibly cut into the tip and end of the shaft like that and not realize what you are doing is wrong?

They say humans have issues grasping some concepts like very tiny or very huge things like infinity or how quantum mechanics works, but this is equal to those because my brain can't get round the idea that someone could go this far with cutting things up and not stop before it was fully ruined or think this was the way to do it. What could have been possibly going through the guy's head? Did he leave the glue open and was sniffing a bit too much? 12 beers in? I just can't fathom it.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can barely tell where the tip ends and the shaft begins LOL I just know that I probably have pictures of what is the worst tip replacement job I ever seen. The guy that installed the first leather tip ever must have done a better job.

I mean, how can you possibly cut into the tip and end of the shaft like that and not realize what you are doing is wrong?

They say humans have issues grasping some concepts like very tiny or very huge things like infinity or how quantum mechanics works, but this is equal to those because my brain can't get round the idea that someone could go this far with cutting things up and not stop before it was fully ruined or think this was the way to do it. What could have been possibly going through the guy's head? Did he leave the glue open and was sniffing a bit too much? 12 beers in? I just can't fathom it.

i think we can rule out sobriety. maybe a combination of drugs including glue

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
So technically I don't know if the guy was on drugs while working on this Revo (mine that I sold to a friend), but I have no other explanation for this. The kid I sold this to decided to hand his CF shaft to some random guy he knew who said he replaced many tips. Result was this chop job. This was a shaft that had a small white ferrule added to the top of the vault plate and no idea where that went after this guy was done with it. He cut some stuff off, hacked at some other things, and chopped up the rest with what looks like a kitchen knife.

View attachment 701357

View attachment 701356
Whoa!!!! That is one for the ages!!! I'll bet when the dude was done replacing the tip he sat there admiring his handy work thinking "I did a fine job replacing that tip, I really should charge more"
One question, where is the new tip part??? It looks like the tip was shaped on a bench grinder or on the curb in front of a drug den.
I would like to hear the rest of the story. What did the new owner say when he saw this fine display of craftsmanship?? There must have been words exchanged, mine would have been something like "WTF did you do to my $400 shaft, moron"??
At some point (at least one would hope) the "craftsman" must have seen things going sideways, why would he not just bail out at that point? Was he thinking "I just have to carve it down a little more it will be fine, nobody will even notice something is slightly amiss".

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I think the root problem is that absolutely nothing goes thru this "craftsmans" head.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The guy that installed the first leather tip ever must have done a better job. ...
I was about to point out that the first tip installer was François Mingaud but it turns out that he was not the first to use a leather tip -- he just perfected it. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François_Mingaud

My own tip install disaster happened when I took an original Balabushka shaft in to the largest billiard supply store in San Francisco. As part of the install process on the lathe, the excess leather is taken off with a cutting tool which in that case was a chisel. The installer decided that the ferrule needed to be beveled a little on the end. That's how you can use a 12mm tip on a 12.5mm ferrule. Hard to put back ivory.

KyHighball

That looks like my nightmare.
I do my own cause I don't want to bother the builders in my area.

Looked for single bevel blades, then looked at the Japanese blades.
How do you sharpen those?
I assume you mean a knife like this?
If I was you I would just take it to a local cue builder. Changing tips is really no trouble for them and would be so much less hassle.

KyHighball

So technically I don't know if the guy was on drugs while working on this Revo (mine that I sold to a friend), but I have no other explanation for this. The kid I sold this to decided to hand his CF shaft to some random guy he knew who said he replaced many tips. Result was this chop job. This was a shaft that had a small white ferrule added to the top of the vault plate and no idea where that went after this guy was done with it. He cut some stuff off, hacked at some other things, and chopped up the rest with what looks like a kitchen knife.

View attachment 701357

View attachment 701356
Is the shiny black smooth part the tip? Or is that part of the Vault plate?

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looked for single bevel blades, then looked at the Japanese blades.
How do you sharpen those?
I'm a bit of a sharpening nerd, and have a few hundred dollars worth of sharpening gear (it's easier to do that, than you may think). If you really want to go down that rabbit hole, head over to the "Blade Forums", and look around their maintenance forum. But I'll give you a fair warning that, it can be addictive, and expensive. :oops:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a bit of a sharpening nerd, and have a few hundred dollars worth of sharpening gear (it's easier to do that, than you may think). If you really want to go down that rabbit hole, head over to the "Blade Forums", and look around their maintenance forum. But I'll give you a fair warning that, it can be addictive, and expensive. :oops:
I have some knowledge and a little practice.
I am nervous about buying the wet stones, holders, lapping stones, ........
Lansky does me well enough.
I'm an obsessive tool nerd and need everything once I step in.

Been trying my damnedest to stay away from Fly Fishing for the same reasons.
I'll be tested mid June.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 701357

View attachment 701356
I have one word for you. SEYBERTS

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I do it all the time at 5,100 feet/have no problem. ;)
Like the guy said to me the other day in Vegas, this ''should'' take care of it.
My response?
Sir if you brought your car into my shop with a coolant leak problem.
How would you feel I told you this New water Pump Should fix the problem?
Or would you prefer me to respond. We thoughly checked your cooling system, the radiator is leaking on to the top hose of the water pump, I'd recommend to replace the radiator, then pressure ck to see if the water pump ''is'' in play.
He got it right away.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

View attachment 701357

View attachment 701356
Don't blame drugs for that butcher job. 😲

Sad anybody had to deal with that.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
How many of us would be considering going to JAIL if they were handed that back? I had an ivory ferrule hacked up by a guy that lives in Florida now but was in Tennessee at the time,although not this bad.

I honestly swung on him and missed,but it got broke up after that. I spent the rest of that weekend doing Show and Tell with anyone that would listen that if you give a damn about your cues,don't hand them to this guy.

Not long after that,I saw him at another tournament with the same 5 ugly ass cues for sale. Tommy D.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many of us would be considering going to JAIL if they were handed that back? I had an ivory ferrule hacked up by a guy that lives in Florida now but was in Tennessee at the time,although not this bad.

I honestly swung on him and missed,but it got broke up after that. I spent the rest of that weekend doing Show and Tell with anyone that would listen that if you give a damn about your cues,don't hand them to this guy.

Not long after that,I saw him at another tournament with the same 5 ugly ass cues for sale. Tommy D.
I live where others and the customers themselves try to do my job.
I just smile and say
Thank you
Example

Attachments

• IMG_100321_103157-1.jpg
    IMG_100321_103157-1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 100