New Filipino star: Baseth?

CanadianGuy

still trying to wrap my head around this break rule, but the
the format of these events is absolutely perfect for experiments particularly if the players wish it

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
still trying to wrap my head around this break rule, but the
the format of these events is absolutely perfect for experiments particularly if the players wish it
The guys with weaker breaks are all for it. I just watched Chua beat Raga 19-12 playing 10b without these stupid stipulations. Much better to watch. the match was on Bernie Regalario's YT channel.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
One thing that is different for this match is the limited number of jump shots (apparently it is 5 for the whole session?)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There aren't THAT many B-n-R's in 10ball. Wouldn't think they'd need to go this route.
I tend to agree with you, but there is a different reality in the Philippines. For them Ten Ball is a relatively easy game to play, after growing up playing Rotation. The “break and run” is a big part of their game and the top players (maybe 40-50 players) are all good at doing exactly that.

In another thread there is a long lament about the sad state of the game for pro players who are trying to make a living. You won’t hear that conversation in the Philippines! They see their countrymen making five figure scores and that looks like a big payday to them.

A good job there (which is hard to get) might pay anywhere from $10 to $20 a day, and you will be working ten hour days, six days a week! A typical annual salary is in the five to six thousand range. So having a chance to make ten or twenty thousand in one pool tournament is very appealing. It’s no accident the Pinoys have dominated the American pool scene for many years now.

By the same token we are now seeing the influx of European players everywhere pro pool is played, most of who also come from humble surroundings. Say what you want about the state of professional pool, but when young players see the pros making 30K, 40K and 50K scores, that looks attractive to them and they want a piece.

The very best players are earning six figure incomes today from combined tournament winnings and sponsorship money. That is the pot of gold these young guys are going after!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guys with weaker breaks are all for it. I just watched Chua beat Raga 19-12 playing 10b without these stupid stipulations. Much better to watch. the match was on Bernie Regalario's YT channel.

it does screw with the rhythm of the game. if it's too easy, get a diamond or rasson in there with tighter pockets..

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the mandatory push out or safe idea for a tie-breaking rack in a set play format, or maybe even in hill-hill scenarios. Just not all the time.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
42-24 after day 2. He's the real deal. Reminds me of TAR 1 where the world was introduced to Shane and he was so dominant.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many great players you wouldn't teach his stroke, but it clearly works for him.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i wonder what his tattoo said before he removed it, and if it's related to his nickname.. could also be a ronnie alcano move, a cue sponsor

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Final score 63 - 39.

Baseth Mocaibat - Chang Jung-Lin
Day 1 -- 21 - 6​
Day 2 -- 21 - 18​
Day 3 -- 21 - 15​
Total -- 63 - 39​

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Chang did not look like himself when he played Dennis. Against Mocaibat he looked like me.
This is second hand, but I'm told that JL Chang has been focusing on Chinese 8-ball and not on his rotation pool games.

In view of this, one must wonder whether we'll ever see JL Chang play the kind of pool he played in 2017-18, when it seemed nobody could beat him in action.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only watched a few min here, a few min there.

Chang kept selling out the 1 ball on his mandatory safe attempts on the few innings I saw.

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chang was a totally different player when he wiped out Biado on the same 3 day, race to 63 format. I was really surprised at his performance vs Orcullo and Baseth

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@mikepage

Hi Mike,

Do you know if these two players are the same guy? One of them bbq'd Chang a couple weeks ago. See post #3 in this thread also for the fargo rating at the start of that match. Is 300 the baseline to be shown on the top 100 world list? He will be in the hunt for #1 if he plays like this again.

SCR-20230130-tju.png

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chang was a totally different player when he wiped out Biado on the same 3 day, race to 63 format. I was really surprised at his performance vs Orcullo and Baseth
My guess is Chang knows Biado game well cos they play cheap money games frequently.

@mikepage

Hi Mike,

Do you know if these two players are the same guy? One of them bbq'd Chang a couple weeks ago. See post #3 in this thread also for the fargo rating at the start of that match. Is 300 the baseline to be shown on the top 100 world list? He will be in the hunt for #1 if he plays like this again.

View attachment 685124
Looks like same person unless he has a twin

I remember Baseth from covid-19 era when he played Orcollo in final of this cup
Watching that match, I tot Orcollo was arguably the best cutter in the business. He was making all kinds of tough cuts. Most of top players' balls shrink and they duck when they have to make tough cuts, reverse cuts :LOL: But then again maybe Orcollo was willing to take bigger risk cos this was not major event.