New game I created called Contact Pool

SpecialK

New Game I created called Contact Pool. Great game for better players. Would love to see the pros play it!
Here are the rules.

Contact Pool Rules

A player scores a point for each contact after the first on a legally pocketed ball. You must call the ball and pocket and the number of contacts or points you intend to score. You cannot cut balls directly into the pocket (because the cue ball’s first contact does not score) so it is similar to the game "honolulu" but you get additional points for extra contacts a.k.a. extra difficulty in the shot. Jump shots are allowed but it does not score an extra point. Same with masse shots. Rail first shots before the pocket do Not score an extra point and it does not have to be called. Just like BCA. The game plays as you would expect. The only "tricky" thing you need to realize is that catching the rail just before the pocket does not score an extra point because that cheapens the game and makes it unplayable for most players. Contact with the back of the pocket does not count for a point. It is only the contacts after the first, before the ball is pocketed, which are necessary for the shot that count. Also, multiple contacts with the inner facings of the pocket or with the points do not count, unless they are specifically called.

Examples:

1 rail bank = 1 point

2 rail kick = 2 points

2 ball combo = 1 point

3 ball combo = 2 points

Cue ball Carom = 1 point

Object Ball Carom = 1 point

Double carom = 2 points

Shots can be combined for extra points. Examples:

3 rail bank into a combo = 4 points

4 rail kick into a carom = 5 points

Balls made unintentionally immediately spot after the shot. Balls made on the break stay down and the player who broke continues to shoot.

On a pocket scratch, it is ball-in-hand. On a table scratch, it is also ball in hand.

On a legally pocketed ball, where the player scratches, the ball pocketed is spotted and the player does not receive the points for the shot. Opponent takes ball-in-hand. If you call a 1 rail kick and it catches the 2nd rail just before the ball and pockets the ball, that is just 1 point for a 1 rail kick. Rail first does not count as a kick so it does not score but it also does not invalidate the shot so you get 1 point for that kick. Only rails not adjacent to the pocket count for banks or kicks. The 2 rails which form the pocket do not count. This keeps the game playable.

You can do a race to any number of points that you set. Among friends, we usually do races to 15 or 20 points.

Overall, this is a really fun game. Many of my friends play it regularly now. It is MUCH better than honolulu. Do not think it is just a simple variation. The simple adjustment of changing the scoring system gives you incentive to go for the really amazing high-point shots which you do not have incentive to do in honolulu. That alone makes this game so much better. I have a video here on my youtube channel explaining why this game is so much better than honolulu.

That is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVaH6TMbODA

I also have some videos of me and some friends playing the game so you can see what it's like when it's played in real life. Thanks for checking it out and i really hope you enjoy playing it! I would love to see the pros play this. I hope that happens sometime.

Try it out and let me know what you guys think of the game and if you have any suggestions for rules changes or any worthwhile comments, etc. Please enjoy.

SpecialK

My Youtube channel is BrianBilliards and that is where i have the videos of me and some friends playing Contact Pool. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFvxSnMWaxtiFRvEM-5yLg

It is a great gambling game as well and you will also make shots and see shots made that you have literally never seen before in your life. Try it!!!

Also, let me know what your high runs are. I have run 6 consecutive points a few times and we know a guy who has achieved a 9 point run. I would love to hear about your high runs and I would also love to see some pros run 20+ in this game. Thx!

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Youtube channel is BrianBilliards and that is where i have the videos of me and some friends playing Contact Pool. See below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoFvxSnMWaxtiFRvEM-5yLg

It is a great gambling game as well and you will also make shots and see shots made that you have literally never seen before in your life. Try it!!!

Also, let me know what your high runs are. I have run 6 consecutive points a few times and we know a guy who has achieved a 9 point run. I would love to hear about your high runs and I would also love to see some pros run 20+ in this game. Thx!

It's definitely different, but I think I will stay with my one pocket. Seems a little jumbled and disorganized for my taste but to each his own. If you guys liken it then roll with it. For some reason I'm ready for a cigar though. I mean it is already 6:00 am, that cigar time somewhere.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Definitely looks like an interesting and very challenging game. A bit like English billiards by giving you so many different shots to consider.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I would love to see the pros play this. I hope that happens sometime.

Try it out and let me know what you guys think of the game and if you have any suggestions for rules changes or any worthwhile comments, etc. Please enjoy.

It would probably be fun seeing pros try any game like this where it increases the number of difficult or circus shots, at least for a little while anyway. Corey Deuel was pushing a game that he invented in this vein for a little while. I can't think of the name right now nor do I recall all the rules (I do recall one of the ways to score extra points was to sink more than one ball in a shot) but you might want to search for it because it sounds like it would probably be of interest to you and you would enjoy seeing him play it and probably trying it out yourself. And if any pro would be willing to try something like this out, it would be Corey because he seems to have an appreciation (and talent) for shots that take imagination. If you posted it to his facebook page or something maybe you would even get lucky enough that he would give it a try and/or comment but don't hold out too much hope, they get spiels from a million people to try this or that.

Keep in mind that it is incredibly difficult to get people to try new games (there are already plenty of great games to choose from that come with plenty of people to play them with) so don't be too disappointed if there is a lack of interest or response.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like it. Any game with incentive to go for more is always good. And it's excellent practice for when these shots come up in a different game, like 1 pocket for example.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Corey Deuel was pushing a game that he invented in this vein for a little while. I can't think of the name right now nor do I recall all the rules (I do recall one of the ways to score extra points was to sink more than one ball in a shot) but you might want to search for it because it sounds like it would probably be of interest to you and you would enjoy seeing him play it and probably trying it out yourself. And if any pro would be willing to try something like this out, it would be Corey because he seems to have an appreciation (and talent) for shots that take imagination.

Sounds interesting. Corey, quite possibly, plays pool with more imagination than any American player since Nick Varner.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New Game I created called Contact Pool. Great game for better players. Would love to see the pros play it!
Here are the rules.

Contact Pool Rules

A player scores a point for each contact after the first on a legally pocketed ball. You must call the ball and pocket and the number of contacts or points you intend to score. You cannot cut balls directly into the pocket (because the cue ball’s first contact does not score) so it is similar to the game "honolulu" but you get additional points for extra contacts a.k.a. extra difficulty in the shot. Jump shots are allowed but it does not score an extra point. Same with masse shots. Rail first shots before the pocket do Not score an extra point and it does not have to be called. Just like BCA. The game plays as you would expect. The only "tricky" thing you need to realize is that catching the rail just before the pocket does not score an extra point because that cheapens the game and makes it unplayable for most players. Contact with the back of the pocket does not count for a point. It is only the contacts after the first, before the ball is pocketed, which are necessary for the shot that count. Also, multiple contacts with the inner facings of the pocket or with the points do not count, unless they are specifically called.

Examples:

1 rail bank = 1 point

2 rail kick = 2 points

2 ball combo = 1 point

3 ball combo = 2 points

Cue ball Carom = 1 point

Object Ball Carom = 1 point

Double carom = 2 points

Shots can be combined for extra points. Examples:

3 rail bank into a combo = 4 points

4 rail kick into a carom = 5 points

Balls made unintentionally immediately spot after the shot. Balls made on the break stay down and the player who broke continues to shoot.

On a pocket scratch, it is ball-in-hand. On a table scratch, it is also ball in hand.

On a legally pocketed ball, where the player scratches, the ball pocketed is spotted and the player does not receive the points for the shot. Opponent takes ball-in-hand. If you call a 1 rail kick and it catches the 2nd rail just before the ball and pockets the ball, that is just 1 point for a 1 rail kick. Rail first does not count as a kick so it does not score but it also does not invalidate the shot so you get 1 point for that kick. Only rails not adjacent to the pocket count for banks or kicks. The 2 rails which form the pocket do not count. This keeps the game playable.

You can do a race to any number of points that you set. Among friends, we usually do races to 15 or 20 points.

Overall, this is a really fun game. Many of my friends play it regularly now. It is MUCH better than honolulu. Do not think it is just a simple variation. The simple adjustment of changing the scoring system gives you incentive to go for the really amazing high-point shots which you do not have incentive to do in honolulu. That alone makes this game so much better. I have a video here on my youtube channel explaining why this game is so much better than honolulu.

That is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVaH6TMbODA

I also have some videos of me and some friends playing the game so you can see what it's like when it's played in real life. Thanks for checking it out and i really hope you enjoy playing it! I would love to see the pros play this. I hope that happens sometime.

Im prejudice I know, 74 and the only game I have played
for 60 years is straight pool. In my OPINION its the greatest
and best pool game ever created