New Here? - Introduce Yourself

frige

Registered
Howdy from Texas! I picked up a very old table that I am putting together in the parlor of my old house. I used to play at various pool halls but got out of the groove for a while. Now I have no excuse! Plus I make my own beer. I may never leave home again....

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys. I’m David, and wait for it, I live in a Florida.

Retired Marine and have been playing since the early ‘70’s. Took a bunch of years off to fight a couple of wars and raise a family, but still, you’d think I’d be better...

Glad to be here.

Drew79

Hello everyone! My name is Drew and I found the forums and started lurking about a year ago when I got back to into playing seriously after years off to have kids, etc.. Just before the pandemic broke out, I laid hands on a really clean GC3 High Tech and had it installed in the basement. I’ve been getting a ton of practice in with the lockdown.

Bit about me, I started playing in my teens, and used to frequent Pete Fusco’s hall in NE Philly for years. Wound up going into the Marine Corps and played in e-clubs and local halls. Began deploying a lot, then got married and had a family, and stopped playing for a few years. Kids are a bit more grown, and at the wife’s encouragement I started playing again. Got up to around 10-15 hours a week at the local hall, and decided to get a table for home...then the plague hit! Glad to be here, and look forward to chatting with you all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truacaldwell

Hello everyone! My name is Drew and I found the forums and started lurking about a year ago when I got back to into playing seriously after years off to have kids, etc.. Just before the pandemic broke out, I laid hands on a really clean GC3 High Tech and had it installed in the basement. I’ve been getting a ton of practice in with the lockdown.

Bit about me, I started playing in my teens, and used to frequent Pete Fusco’s hall in NE Philly for years. Wound up going into the Marine Corps and played in e-clubs and local halls. Began deploying a lot, then got married and had a family, and stopped playing for a few years. Kids are a bit more grown, and at the wife’s encouragement I started playing again. Got up to around 10-15 hours a week at the local hall, and decided to get a table for home...then the plague hit! Glad to be here, and look forward to chatting with you all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello and welcome ;)

Empty403

Registered
Hello I'm Mike.
I'm sorta new here, I joined awhile back but I just forgot about this forum

I'm from Canada, moved to California and now to Arizona

I started playing pool in 1993 and my dad ended up buying an 8ft pool table, a few months later lol. My dad grew up with a table and was very good. Our games got close about a 1-2 years, later.

I stopped playing pool around 2000 when I moved to California but got back into it in 2012 when I joined APA and stopped last year when I moved to Arizona.

My wife is demanding a pool table for the house and this is the reason I remembered, I am a member of this forum.

LuckyShot

My name is Jeff. I've been playing billiards on and off since 1976. I am back to playing several times a day with my little son, who has gotten pretty good since his grandparents bought him a little 6' kiddie table back in Dec. of '19. My pool cue collection has grown since then, from a single Green Leaf Dufferin to 9 now. My wife is not happy about it at all! I found a great Brunswick table on the internet that someone had sitting, in a pile, in the corner of an unfinished basement. Their father bought it in 1984 and never used it. It was in a hotel/club in Ohio. It is the 6-leg Mahogany Regina model, which I am currently in the middle of refurbishing/restoring. I have already priced out the cushions, cloth and I need to find out about how much some wood-backed 1" slate from Brunswick will cost me.
I hope to learn a lot about all the different billiards games and I will probably join my local A.P.A. group. Rack 'em up!

Last edited:

Istarted2late

Another newbie

Hello everyone. I'm Mike, and from my username you should assume I only recently started playing. Throughout my adult life I was always a dedicated clay target shooter,but in my 60's I started having some health issues and eventually lost the vision in my non-dominant eye. This about put a stop to my favorite game of sporting clays as you really need both eyes to shoot it well,and I've always been of the opinion that if I couldn't do something welI I didn't want to try. One of my shooting buddies also played pool ,and I begrudgingly let him talk me into trying. I thought that clays shooting was addictive, but it has nothing on pool! I absolutely fell in love with this game and sorely wish I had played as a kid. The only time I was ever in a pool hall I discovered my dad playing cards there, and he got really mad that he had been "found out." As you can imagine, I was banned from the place and threatened in a way that no young person should ever be. Later, when I was in college at SIU-C, I could have gone to Johnston City with a buddy but had no desire as I had been conditioned to think of pool as something that was not well thought of. Anyway,when I did start playing I was able to tell I needed some instruction before I developed bad habits. Not having a lot of extra $ and no one locally who I trusted as an instructor I turned to the internet. I haven't been surprised or disappointed as I have found some exceptional training videos and learned how to seperate the good from the bad.. So, to say it has been a learning process is an understatement, What have I learned so far? First, it is a lot more difficult to learn at an advanced age. Second, health issues continue to worsen causing one to continually have to make adjustments and/or second guess yourself. Third, actually watching a really good player make shots and being able to pick his brain is a whole lot better than seeeing it done on a video. I play with a group of older guys who range in age from 70 (me) to 89. They are about as varied in backgground as you can get...retired factory workers to former circuit court judges. All of them have some health issues, but because they started playing as teenagers or earlier they possess the muscle memory and thought processes to make me look really bad. For the most part they have been helpful, but when I first started the judge was not very respectful of my lack of knowledge. While I was struggling to decide how to make a shot he told me to "kick it." I said that I didn't know what that meant,and he got a little hot over that. He kept saying "Kick it!" over and over until I said "so you are telling me to jump on the table and kick the cueball with my foot?" Of course everyone else laughed over that, but he should have taken me at my word and realized that I didn't understand the terminology.
So, how good/bad am I? Well, I have run a few racks, but not many. I usually make 4 or 5 after the break but then can't finish. I'm getting better at controlling the cueball, and I no longer shoot any harder than is necessary to make the ball and get position.Will I ever get better? Probably not, but pool is such a great game I don't really care I have learned how to retip everybody's cues and have worked on their tables. Over the last 3 years I have helped the others find, move, repair and set up 7 tables, but I think I'm probably finished with that.
Sorrry for the length of this, and I hope it shows how passionate I am about the game. If any of you have connections with southern Illinois or have questions about forestry, landscaping or Christmas trees feel free to ask/comment. I have always lived within 60 miles of here even while growing up and have planted hundreds of thousands of trees in my lifetime...another thing I was always passionate about.

LuckyShot

Hello everyone. I'm Mike, and from my username you should assume I only recently started playing. Throughout my adult life I was always a dedicated clay target shooter,but in my 60's I started having some health issues and eventually lost the vision in my non-dominant eye. This about put a stop to my favorite game of sporting clays as you really need both eyes to shoot it well,and I've always been of the opinion that if I couldn't do something welI I didn't want to try. One of my shooting buddies also played pool ,and I begrudgingly let him talk me into trying. I thought that clays shooting was addictive, but it has nothing on pool! I absolutely fell in love with this game and sorely wish I had played as a kid. The only time I was ever in a pool hall I discovered my dad playing cards there, and he got really mad that he had been "found out." As you can imagine, I was banned from the place and threatened in a way that no young person should ever be. Later, when I was in college at SIU-C, I could have gone to Johnston City with a buddy but had no desire as I had been conditioned to think of pool as something that was not well thought of. Anyway,when I did start playing I was able to tell I needed some instruction before I developed bad habits. Not having a lot of extra $ and no one locally who I trusted as an instructor I turned to the internet. I haven't been surprised or disappointed as I have found some exceptional training videos and learned how to seperate the good from the bad.. So, to say it has been a learning process is an understatement, What have I learned so far? First, it is a lot more difficult to learn at an advanced age. Second, health issues continue to worsen causing one to continually have to make adjustments and/or second guess yourself. Third, actually watching a really good player make shots and being able to pick his brain is a whole lot better than seeeing it done on a video. I play with a group of older guys who range in age from 70 (me) to 89. They are about as varied in backgground as you can get...retired factory workers to former circuit court judges. All of them have some health issues, but because they started playing as teenagers or earlier they possess the muscle memory and thought processes to make me look really bad. For the most part they have been helpful, but when I first started the judge was not very respectful of my lack of knowledge. While I was struggling to decide how to make a shot he told me to "kick it." I said that I didn't know what that meant,and he got a little hot over that. He kept saying "Kick it!" over and over until I said "so you are telling me to jump on the table and kick the cueball with my foot?" Of course everyone else laughed over that, but he should have taken me at my word and realized that I didn't understand the terminology.
So, how good/bad am I? Well, I have run a few racks, but not many. I usually make 4 or 5 after the break but then can't finish. I'm getting better at controlling the cueball, and I no longer shoot any harder than is necessary to make the ball and get position.Will I ever get better? Probably not, but pool is such a great game I don't really care I have learned how to retip everybody's cues and have worked on their tables. Over the last 3 years I have helped the others find, move, repair and set up 7 tables, but I think I'm probably finished with that.
Sorrry for the length of this, and I hope it shows how passionate I am about the game. If any of you have connections with southern Illinois or have questions about forestry, landscaping or Christmas trees feel free to ask/comment. I have always lived within 60 miles of here even while growing up and have planted hundreds of thousands of trees in my lifetime...another thing I was always passionate about.
Hey, Mike, I just joined, too! I used to shoot trap. Let's have fun and learn lots here.

Istarted2late

That is the game I shot when I first got into clays. After the grind of several years shooting registered targets I gave it up and tried skeet which proved to be a lot like hunting. Then sporting clays became popular, and that was my all time favorite. Good to know someone else enjoyed these as well. Hey, as a point of interest the last table I refurbished was an older Brunswick..The entire pocket assemblies were shotand I sent the irons to a place called Bankshot billiards in NY. They did a fantastic job rebuilding them, but it was pricey. I didn't know enough about the different pocket sizes to try to find replacements, and these used a slotted channel that the irons went into to properly set the pitch in relation to the slate, so I had to tell the owner that we had to get them rebuilt. Good luck on your rebuild. Bet there will be someone on here who can steer you in the right direction to find help.

LuckyShot

Mike, there is a young man who learned the trade of billiard table restoration from, I'm guessing, an older man who had been doing it for a long time. He is out in Oklahoma and I am going to talk with him about my refurbishment. The only thing missing from the table is the slate. Check out his site! He is a fantastic restorer. Here it is: https://www.billiardrestoration.com/

Joeydubb23

Registered
Is there a place where I can view old billiards Digest Forums? I Found an old story before about Dick Leonard and wish to read it again. It was about his Frank Paradise Cue he owned.

Thanks

Tmyers101

Registered
What's up everyone? I'm originally from Lafayette, Louisiana, but now live in Porter, Texas. I love the pool scene here. I recently decided to start collecting cues, and I know this is the best to find knowledgeable and experienced players. Hopefully I can add to this environment more than receive.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello Tmyers101, LuckyShot, and Istarted2late

welcome aboard! :thumbup:

It's nice to see some new members coming on. There's certainly a lot of good info to be had here. My suggestion would be for you guys to not be wall flowers, just jump right in on any of the existing threads, and even start some new ones of your own.

Keep in mind that a lot of typical questions have been discussed before, some quite a few times, and doing a key word search can retrieve many of those previous threads.

Looking forward to seeing you guys around.

best,
brian kc

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I echo Brian's welcome to the forums! There is an enormous amount of information about everything pool that you can imagine...and probably some you can't!

LuckyShot, please post pictures of your table restoration as you work on things. We love to see that kind of stuff, and you're likely to get some excellent suggestions from guys who've done it before you!

Tmyers101...Do you know my poolplaying friends Jess Gillion or Chris Miller? They have lived in Lafayette for the past 20+ years.

If any of you have questions on instruction or learning, look me up! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hello my name dave. I haved always like pool and play around since i was 12 :)

Welcome aboard sir looking forward to seeing you around the forums you'll find a lot of good information and enjoyable social interaction here.

best.
brian kc

SokMonkee

Registered
Hey everyone!

Hey everyone! First post here I've been lurking for a few months. My wife and I got cues last Christmas and started frequenting the Local pool hall around the corner once a week. then twice a week lol. We haven't shot pool since early march due to the shut down of our local pool halls here in Burlington NC. So we started excavation of a detached garage / billiards room last week lol. I've been looking at used 9' GC tables. Not having much luck finding 9' GC tables near by. I'm trying to find affordable skilled mover / setup person or persons. that can move and set up GC tables. Our room won't be ready for several months so there is still time for a local find. I'll put this in the main Forum as well maybe I'll find a mover here. Glad I found this forum I've been scouring lighting projects and such trying to get out in front of this billiard room.

Modsat

Registered
Hi folks.

New poster from Denmark here. I have only been playing for around 18 months and I'm looking to improve. I almost exclusively play alone since there are no clubs or pool halls within 100 miles of where I live. But I got access to a table and am drilling balls as much as possible. Since I have noone to play with to correct my mistakes and help up my game, I'm hoping to leech a bit off of the (obviously) massive experience on this forum. Hopefully in time I can also contribute myself :)

Kind regards,

Rasmus