Nick Varner is a Fargorate 777

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know...I know....all Fargo Ratings are equal.

But let's pretend that they aren't for a second and consider what type of player would outrun their overall rating if they switched to playing only bar table pool. Varner is maybe a perfect example. Great knowledge, excellent banker, great cue ball, but no longer world-class pocketing. Who else would fit this description? How about this group -- Chohan, Thorpe, Frost, and Deuel. I don't think any of these 4 pocket balls as well as their rating would dictate. Although, they could outrun that deficiency on the bar table. Plus, they could all probably outbreak Varner.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But let's pretend that they aren't for a second and consider what type of player would outrun their overall rating if they switched to playing only bar table pool. Varner is maybe a perfect example. Great knowledge, excellent banker, great cue ball, but no longer world-class pocketing. Who else would fit this description? How about this group -- Chohan, Thorpe, Frost, and Deuel. I don't think any of these 4 pocket balls as well as their rating would dictate. Although, they could outrun that deficiency on the bar table. Plus, they could all probably outbreak Varner.
I don’t know about the others but Deuel is really strong on a barbox.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Well...,

Tony has no chance against Josh in 8 ball, 9 ball or 10 ball, its not even close. Tony is the King of One Pocket or at least one of the top 3.
Don't know about all that... I played Tony in the 9 ball at DCC last year, played REAL good on him, and lost 9-5. I think he missed either 1 or 2 balls, on those 4 1/4" (4 1/8"?) pockets. I don't think I would bet against him versus Josh Roberts at all. Actually, I probably bet on Tony in that game.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know about all that... I played Tony in the 9 ball at DCC last year, played REAL good on him, and lost 9-5. I think he missed either 1 or 2 balls, on those 4 1/4" (4 1/8"?) pockets. I don't think I would bet against him versus Josh Roberts at all. Actually, I probably bet on Tony in that game.
I agree. Tony is an underrated 9 ball player. He's capable of beating anyone.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Frost thought the same. SVB quickly corrected him in TAR 15, score 150-104, year 2009.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Tony, he's agreat player and a good guy, but Josh's break is so big its hard to hold him. If the table breaks good I dont think it'll be close, but I'd like to see it!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frost thought the same. SVB quickly corrected him in TAR 15, score 150-104, year 2009.

By "outrun" I didn't mean they could keep up with the top ranked players in the WORLD. Just that they would perform better than their "average" Fargo Rating over the long term. Possibly like Varner has done. I still think it's probably the case. Of course, not everyone. Just players here and there.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nick is not only one of the best players of all time and one of my favorite players ever, but he is also a friend.

That said, this Fargo is probably an accurate assessment of Nick’s continuing excellence at one pocket and cannot logically be used as an indication of his current nine ball speed. At nine ball, Parica at 60 was definitely no more than 760. Are we being asked to believe that Varner in his mid 70s would have been the clear favorite over the 60 year old version of Parica? Please.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nick is not only one of the best players of all time and one of my favorite players ever, but he is also a friend.

That said, this Fargo is probably an accurate assessment of Nick’s continuing excellence at one pocket and cannot logically be used as an indication of his current nine ball speed. At nine ball, Parica at 60 was definitely no more than 760. Are we being asked to believe that Varner in his mid 70s would have been the clear favorite over the 60 year old version of Parica? Please.
I agree that including 1p in Fargo ratings muddies the water a bit.

I can understand the desire to have a single score, but trying to accommodate everyone is often a surefire way to leave everyone unsatisfied.

shooter_Hans

I thought Fargo ratings were the equivalent to 'strength of schedule' in college football. Lets say two players are 600 rating but they are both not equal. One guy can have a 'quality loss' as they like to say in football. Meaning losing to 750's and above all day. The other 600 guy can be beating up 400-500 all day.

I was told this is how Fargo ratings operates.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Fargo ratings were the equivalent to 'strength of schedule' in college football. Lets say two players are 600 rating but they are both not equal. One guy can have a 'quality loss' as they like to say in football. Meaning losing to 750's and above all day. The other 600 guy can be beating up 400-500 all day.

I was told this is how Fargo ratings operates.

yes but presumably varner isn't playing 780 players

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Jimmy Fusco was a good friend of mine and a damn good player, His strongest game was actually Banks with Straight Pool and 9-Ball his next two best. He was worshiped in Philly where he reigned supreme for decades. Not too many players wanted any part of him playing on his home court - Boulevard Billiards, or anywhere else in South Philly for that matter. But get him on a neutral court and he was vulnerable. Not soft by any means, but vulnerable.

Rempe meanwhile could play anywhere and be right at home. He handled different conditions well. Not so many people know that Jimmy R. made his bones traveling all around the East and Midwest as a youngster playing anyone who wanted a game, and playing all games! He was already a legendary gambler when he was a teenager!

I think there was mutual respect between Rempe and Fusco, two old school warriors. But did Fusco want to gamble with Rempe, I doubt it. Jimmy R. was the superior player at Straight Pool and One Pocket and it was a toss up at 9-Ball (I'd have to bet Rempe though). Only in Banks did Jimmy F. have an advantage.

There is a reason that Rempe had such a stellar tournament record. He was a great pool player. Jimmy Fusco was also very good but never reached those heights, more by choice than anything else. Jimmy F. chose not to travel all over the country and follow the tournament circuit everywhere. He was content to stay close to home and let players come to him. A pretty smart decision I would say. When he did travel though he had some surprisingly good results. He won the Sands tourney with all the top players the one year he went all the way to Reno, and he won quite a few of the big regional events on the East Coast. He was Eastern States champion more than once.

In conclusion it's not clear cut who would win if they played, but I have a feeling any time they matched up in a tournament (9-Ball, 14.1 or One Pocket) the line had Rempe favored slightly. Maybe he was a 6-5 (or 7-5) choice to win. Bottom line you are talking about two of the best players of their generation. But one of them was an International champion (Rempe), winning tournaments all over the globe (he was several times the English Eight Ball champion and went further in Snooker than any other American before or since). His record speaks for itself. It's no accident he is in the billiards Hall of Fame.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's important to remember that recent matches have more weight than older matches. His games from 6 years ago count only 1/4 as much as a game today.
Mr Bob. Has anyone stumped you on an AZBilliard forum question? You are better than GOOGLE.

shooter_Hans

It's funny because I met Nick Varner once and didn't know who he was at the time.

In my mid 20's I was playing pool religiously but never followed professional pool. It was not a spectator sport like it is now. To me it was just a bunch of pool players that use to be on TV. Basically a 'has been'.

Anyways, I walked into a dead pool room one afternoon and proceeded to the bar. I sat down and ordered a beer. An old gentleman sneaks up on me and slid an autograph picture on the bar towards me. I didn't really make eye contact with him and just looked at the picture. I politely slid it back and said "No thanks!"

A few minutes later, one of the regulars there told me he was Nick Varner. Still didn't know who he was.

It wasn't till a few years later I realized who he really was and his contribution to pool. ROFL

Fast forward 20 years later....I like Nick Varner. :)

Last edited: