No Deflection

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fundamental idea is the duration of contact with the tip through the stroke is the most important. The interaction between the tip and the CB is reflected between the CB and OB. Longer the tip is on the CB the longer the CB will be in contact with the OB. Stroke type does not matter, only duration.

This idea led me to figure various timing for shots that don't deflect given a desired effect.

Have you considered swooping? It's been proven to increase tip contact time but don't tell anyone because it's a secret.

nodeflection

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hit me with your best shot

200 words max

I'll try and write a part of it out,

If your effort is to stay on the ball a long time the CB will leave the cue faster than anticipated Therefore the feel on when to put force into the shot is early during the follow through. Since the CB sticks on the OB longer more force is transferred into the object ball. Causing the OB to leave with more speed, and the CB leaving with less. This time of extended contact drags the OB with center ball and twists the OB a large amount with side.

If your effort is to stay on th2e ball a short time the CB will leave the cue slower than anticipated. Therefore the feel on when to put force into the shot is late during the follow through. Since the CB separates immediately from the OB, less force is transferred into the object ball. Causing the OB to leave with less speed than anticipated, and the CB leaving with more speed. This time of short contact cuts the object ball clean with center ball and doesn't allow the OB to be twisted to a large degree with side.

If your effort is to stay on the ball a "medium" time the CB will leave the cue as anticipated Therefore the feel on when to put force into the shot is in between the other two times on the ball. Since the CB sticks on the OB a "medium" amount an even transfer of force sends the CB and OB at expected speeds after contact. With center ball the OB will be dragged a small amount and will twist a "medium" amount with side.

When the effort isn't timed right the CB goes offline. If it is timed right the shaft bends back to straight right through the shot and the CB shoots straight as a CF arrow. Also, if, let's say you are using a BHE type of setup, the CB will not deflect but follow where the cue is pointing if the timing of the effort is at a specific interval.

nodeflection

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered swooping? It's been proven to increase tip contact time but don't tell anyone because it's a secret.

I can swoop the cue inward and outward, upwards and down. I can swoop to the left and through the ball swoop back right. All while controlling how long I'm on the ball.

Swooping is a secret?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
picture.php

picture.php

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see your view. I wasn't saying the shaft doesn't bend. I am saying that the cueball will take off in a straight line with parallel English. I haven't tested a LD shaft but I imagine it will function the same.

In my view I think the cueball deflects because the cueball leaves the tip while the shaft is bent. My Idea allows the shaft to bend pack at the proper time to send the CB on the shot line.

Consider this: The more flexible the shaft is the less the cb squirts. With zero shaft flexibility there would be an extreme amount of cb deflection/squirt.

The tip to ball contact time is typically less than 0.003 seconds. During this very tiny interval of time the cb is rotating and the tip is basically riding along the surface of the ball. And at the same time the weight of the ball forces the end of the shaft to the side, because 6oz (cb weight) is enough to cause the shaft to bend/move aside, as long as the force of the shaft isn't overbearing (too stiff, too heavy).

In order to do what you're suggesting there would have to be another force involved besides the cb and tip/shaft pushing against each other, and there just isn't.

nodeflection

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Consider this: The more flexible the shaft is the less the cb squirts. With zero shaft flexibility there would be an extreme amount of cb deflection/squirt.

The tip to ball contact time is typically less than 0.003 seconds. During this very tiny interval of time the cb is rotating and the tip is basically riding along the surface of the ball. And at the same time the weight of the ball forces the end of the shaft to the side, because 6oz (cb weight) is enough to cause the shaft to bend/move aside, as long as the force of the shaft isn't overbearing (too stiff, too heavy).

In order to do what you're suggesting there would have to be another force involved besides the cb and tip/shaft pushing against each other, and there just isn't.

Possibly the missing force is added when the shaft rebounding from its flex?

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I see your view. I wasn't saying the shaft doesn't bend. I am saying that the cueball will take off in a straight line with parallel English. I haven't tested a LD shaft but I imagine it will function the same.

In my view I think the cueball deflects because the cueball leaves the tip while the shaft is bent. My Idea allows the shaft to bend pack at the proper time to send the CB on the shot line.

Ok, let us know when you achieve that .
You won't.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You don't have to reply if you don't have anything to say. I don't mind you naysaying me. You already did that.
It was really more of a question... how does your shaft get the memo?

How do you propose to maintain and modulate the cue's acceleration during prolonged contact as the soft flesh of your hand gives on impact and the tip drops immediately (and uncontrollably) to half its speed while the ball leaves?

pj
chgo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

It's been shown the front end mass is really what matters the most.
The Pred models have already shown that .
Conical taper Pred shaft with smaller tip diameter ( around 11.5 mm or less ) will have less squirt than a standard pro-taper Pred with 12.75mm.
That's why there was a conical craze for a while.

Now you have carbon fiber tubes.