No good deed goes unpunished...and I feel a little stupid.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
call the local police in his area and register a complaint. maybe tell him you are pressing charges first and see what he says.
it went beyond a civil matter with his antics and he turned it into a felony.

This is common little bit of misinformation. Unless you actually go to Chicago or retain a lawyer there to do it for you it's pretty unlikely that you could even get a cop to take a complaint and write the Rico a ticket. If they did agree to seek out the Rico for your accusation of a $500 theft and write him a ticket the city attorney would need to pursue this as a criminal matter, so any charges would have to be "pressed" or filed by a city attorney who would likely tell you that this is a small claims court matter. I would think that in this particular situation, if you were going to take the legal route you have better luck and a little more leverage going after the person that actually picked up the cue at your door. or.....

...our friends in Chicago could get together and string this moron up

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worse? you're already out $500, unless of course you're already pursuing him by a different method
A few nice people have made some suggestions that might help recoup my money. I'm going to wade through those first.

More than anything I just wanted to vent, it was frustrating, disappointing and just kind of took the wind out of me.

I knew hearing some positive feedback would help me feel a lot less worse about the situation.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
call the local police in his area and register a complaint. maybe tell him you are pressing charges first and see what he says.
it went beyond a civil matter with his antics and he turned it into a felony.

No, do not threaten with calling the cops to get your money. That is actually extortion. The reason why is that innocent folks may pay you because of the fear of wrongful arrest, prosecution and/or incarceration. And NOT because they actually owe you money.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
This is common little bit of misinformation. Unless you actually go to Chicago or retain a lawyer there to do it for you it's pretty unlikely that you could even get a cop to take a complaint and write the Rico a ticket. If they did agree to seek out the Rico for your accusation of a $500 theft and write him a ticket the city attorney would need to pursue this as a criminal matter, so any charges would have to be "pressed" or filed by a city attorney who would likely tell you that this is a small claims court matter. I would think that in this particular situation, if you were going to take the legal route you have better luck and a little more leverage going after the person that actually picked up the cue at your door. or.....

...our friends in Chicago could get together and string this moron up

unless it's over $25K , Chicago will not be interested in this at all.... not the Cook County State's Atty office as well.... the murder capital of the country, they have much bigger fish to fry.....

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yer a good man too RJ, but we knew that before. I am sure that anything that you can do to help out won't get posted directly on AZ

Me learned that a long time ago. Never tell anyone what yer gonna do before you do it. Right?

Reactions: KRJ

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
A few nice people have made some suggestions that might help recoup my money. I'm going to wade through those first.

More than anything I just wanted to vent, it was frustrating, disappointing and just kind of took the wind out of me.

I knew hearing some positive feedback would help me feel a lot less worse about the situation.

Look at it this way, you have something to b*tch about the rest of your life, and it only cost $500!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's also possible he feels he is justified in recovering his "stolen" property. If he had filed a police report, he actually might be within his rights.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
And Bishop, please don't let this sour you on Humanity for the rest of your life.

Like yourself and Chris, I too have had a few disappointments in life where I swore that
I would be a ***** and never help anyone out again. I know it takes time but eventually you will be back to the same old person as before.

I am pretty sure that this one will come around. And Chris, I can't see that Ricco would feel justified in recovering something that he feels belonged to him in the first place.

His Father dumped cues at the pawn shop. If he does in fact feel that way, he took out an innocent person out in the process. It would be a pretty crappy way to justify this to yourself.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's also possible he feels he is justified in recovering his "stolen" property. If he had filed a police report, he actually might be within his rights.
It's possible. He obviously wasn't going to file a police report on his dad...I gathered he was used to his fathers behavior.

I had actually hoped to recoup the cue for what I sold it for which was 130.00. I would have happily eaten that just to help this kid out.

The guy who bought the cue from me wouldn't budge off 500.00. That's what his buddy was going to pay for the cue so that's what it was going to take for Rico to get it back.

I actually apologized a number of times for this guys greed and lack of compassion. I felt bad this kid was going to have to pay 500 for a cue that was purchased from me for 130.00. A cue that was made especially for him and dumped off at a pawn by dad for chump change.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
It's possible. He obviously wasn't going to file a police report on his dad...I gathered he was used to his fathers behavior.

I had actually hoped to recoup the cue for what I sold it for which was 130.00. I would have happily eaten that just to help this kid out.

The guy who bought the cue from me wouldn't budge off 500.00. That's what his buddy was going to pay for the cue so that's what it was going to take for Rico to get it back.

I actually apologized a number of times for this guys greed and lack of compassion. I felt bad this kid was going to have to pay 500 for a cue that was purchased from me for 130.00. A cue that was made especially for him and dumped off at a pawn by dad for chump change.

I missed the pawned part. Wow, this story sucks all the way around.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed the pawned part. Wow, this story sucks all the way around.
You are correct though. If he filed a police report and could prove it was his it would have been marked as evidence and taken for nothing.

If the guy would have refused to hand it over he would have been charged with obstruction.

I've bought a ton of cues over the years from pawn shops. At least the pawn will refund your purchase if it turns out to be stolen property. Anything purchased from an individual is just lost money.

So you know the moment you mention stolen property to greedy people it usually sends them into hiding...and I doubt either of us would have even seen that cue again.

Lots of "what if's" though.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I have about a $10,000 lifetime budget for getting ripped off. So far I am well under it. Let's see:

Fraudulent charities - $1500 (1980 - 1990)

Shortage Brother in law didn't repay money entrusted for sale of Bricklin (it's a car, sort of) $1500 (1988)

50% investment in wife's friend Mickey Mouse 60th birthday art she talked me into and they kept without repaying: $2500 (1988)

Junkyard Corvette restoration, (had to repo and part out) $1500 after parting out. (1983)

Lost Tiger X demo shaft to AZer who wouldn't return it $50. (2012)

Total lifetime ripoff losses: $7050.00

Under budget so far: $2950.00

Last edited:

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
Sometimes the karma train takes a while but…the karma train always comes back into the station. I had an ex friend run off with my ex wife. I was destroyed. It took 15 years but the karma train pulled into town and it was gaining speed! Then it hit the station and exploded! I actually felt (kind of) sorry for her pathetic butt when she begged to know "Why I left her?!?!" I had ruined her life! LOL

Ummm anyways, I digress… sucks that this happened, next time you'll know and you've probably already helped someone on this board after all! Now we all know of a new scam. Red flag? Beware!

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Sucks..........I just can't believe the guy would go through so much trouble to scam his way into a $500 cue....

Dave

No, a $200 cue. The fvcker should get a job. He wore a diamond, but he went a bit too far, then the punches flew.

This has to be the sickest thread I've seen in the last 2.5 hours. Was he Army/ AF/ Navy / Marines?

Just FYI. Don't look me up on EBay to buy back a cue unless you have cash up front. If that guy did PayPal shit would never have gotten here like this.

Thus thread makes me want to check to see if it is April 1.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Chris, you had a Bricklen? They were actually nice cars. Too bad they didn't take off, like in back to the Future.

I think I am wrong but what car was used in Back to the Future?

Yep, I just Googled, it was a De'Lorean. Well, I don't think that one took off either.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris, you had a Bricklen? They were actually nice cars. Too bad they didn't take off, like in back to the Future.

I think I am wrong but what car was used in Back to the Future?

Yep, I just Googled, it was a De'Lorean. Well, I don't think that one took off either.

Yes, I was a car nut. The Bricklin was a pile and unfortunately for Canada, it was made there.

I also bought a '70 428 SCJ Mach 1 Mustang the same year. 1 out of 2 ain't bad and I still have the Mustang.

JBB2388

Banger Extraordinaire
Silver Member
Hats off to you Bishop. You're a good guy to go out of your way to help this person with genuine intentions. Hopefully karma will bite him in the ass at some point.

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ugh. Crap like this pisses me off. Especially when there are so many on the AZ community that help others out. If getting the money doesn't work out, let me send you $10 to help a bit. Just PM me where to send payment.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Rico Cervantes

Remember that name.

Maybe one of us sometime somewhere will have an
opportunity. Who knows?

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I used to know Ricco Cervantes. I bought a lot of cues from him down in Florida in the early '90's. If this "Rico" guy is indeed his grandson, Ricco would be extremely ashamed of him today. Very sad,

Roger