No good deed goes unpunished...and I feel a little stupid.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have about a $10,000 lifetime budget for getting ripped off. So far I am well under it. Let's see:

Fraudulent charities - $1500 (1980 - 1990)

Shortage Brother in law didn't repay money entrusted for sale of Bricklin (it's a car, sort of) $1500 (1988)

50% investment in wife's friend Mickey Mouse 60th birthday art she talked me into and they kept without repaying: $2500 (1988)

Junkyard Corvette restoration, (had to repo and part out) $1500 after parting out. (1983)

Lost Tiger X demo shaft to AZer who wouldn't return it $50. (2012)

Total lifetime ripoff losses: $7050.00

Under budget so far: $2950.00

I think it is better that you dont do this......

Do it like everyone you ask how they did in Las Vegas.

"I broke even"

Nobody ever says they lost, then they would be a loser.
Nobody ever says they won, then someone might want a loan.

Just say, "I broke even" :rolleyes:

Ken

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eh, when I was in college, my roommate Scott was ripped off through a transaction for a laptop. Lost about $400.

He had the guy's name,number, and email, and he took it upon himself to...speed up the "karma train," by posting the guy's number on some "not-so-PG/male-to-male" hook up sites by creating a fake profile. Needless to say, I think Scott got a bit of revenge after countless people calling/texting/emailing him "sausage" pics.

:grin:

BumpnRun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have about a $10,000 lifetime budget for getting ripped off. So far I am well under it. Let's see:

Fraudulent charities - $1500 (1980 - 1990)

Shortage Brother in law didn't repay money entrusted for sale of Bricklin (it's a car, sort of) $1500 (1988)

50% investment in wife's friend Mickey Mouse 60th birthday art she talked me into and they kept without repaying: $2500 (1988)

Junkyard Corvette restoration, (had to repo and part out) $1500 after parting out. (1983)

Lost Tiger X demo shaft to AZer who wouldn't return it $50. (2012)

Total lifetime ripoff losses: $7050.00

Under budget so far: $2950.00

I was hoping you could help me. I'm in the process of building a shelter for homeless pool players and I'm only $2,950 short. Cash would be great, but a money order would work as well.

Thanks in advance!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
No, do not threaten with calling the cops to get your money. That is actually extortion. The reason why is that innocent folks may pay you because of the fear of wrongful arrest, prosecution and/or incarceration. And NOT because they actually owe you money.

20 years in law enforcement and all I can say is that's ridiculous. I'll bet you think its entrapment when an undercover arrests a hooker for prostitution after negotiating price of services too. Or a drug dealer after buying drugs from them.

If that were the case I would personally be guilty of at least 2000 counts of extortion for suggesting perps return property to rightful owners or risk arrest.

You got that wrong. Its not extortion, it is called stating a fact.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
All hindsight obviously but the biggest red flag was the in person pickup. True or not, the scammers feel they can avoid federal mail fraud issues by doing that. The whole not knowing how to accept Paypal almost makes the guy that had the cue suspect.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well in the end he scammed me by not paying. So yes.

However he had no idea if I still had the cue, who I sold it to, if I could even get it back, what it would cost to get it back...so on an so forth. I was the one who tracked the cue down.

He provided a Texas ID, I do believe he was who he said he was. His story checked out with the pawn shop. The guy said that it was the son of the cuemaker that pawned the cues I bought. That's consistent with his story that his dad pawned them for basically beer money.

...and that was last June. Some time ago.

Once he realized that I wasn't going to hold the cue to ensure payment to the third party, that was his opportunity to make off without paying.

That would be one awfully complicated plan to pull off just to scam a cue or money to the third party who wasn't even interested in selling in the first place.

I think he made a spur of the moment decision to skip out on payment at my expense. Maybe not his original intention. What if I had held the cue? The whole elaborate plan comes to a screeching halt? Just not seeing it.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I empathize. I too have been conned. I can't even say I am sorry it happened to me because I learned from the experience. The con artist scum knows it's easiest to con the greedy and those who honestly want to help. If he is Rico's grandson and it really was his cue he may salve his conscience in the short term by rationalizing you had no right to it anyway. But if he doesn't wise up he is in for a miserable existence and Karma can be very unforgiving. If he is just another degenerate con artist, it is probably coming sooner rather than later.

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Well in the end he scammed me by not paying. So yes.

However he had no idea if I still had the cue, who I sold it to, if I could even get it back, what it would cost to get it back...so on an so forth. I was the one who tracked the cue down.

He provided a Texas ID, I do believe he was who he said he was. His story checked out with the pawn shop. The guy said that it was the son of the cuemaker that pawned the cues I bought. That's consistent with his story that his dad pawned them for basically beer money.

...and that was last June. Some time ago.

Once he realized that I wasn't going to hold the cue to ensure payment to the third party, that was his opportunity to make off without paying.

That would be one awfully complicated plan to pull off just to scam a cue or money to the third party who wasn't even interested in selling in the first place.

I think he made a spur of the moment decision to skip out on payment at my expense. Maybe not his original intention. What if I had held the cue? The whole elaborate plan comes to a screeching halt? Just not seeing it.

I don't mean just in your deal. He might have paid you, if you held the cue. I'm saying he saw an opportunity to scam you, and did.

Crossing my fingers that I'm wrong here, but who knows. Hope he settles up with you man. Hate seeing this kind of crap.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
He sent a relative that was close to Bishop to pick up the cue.

Bishop trusted his word that he would send payment as soon as the cue was in his hands.

Bishop trusted his word, hence this thread.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not understanding how he could pick up the cue without cash in hand.

He sent a relative that was close to Bishop to pick up the cue.

Bishop trusted his word that he would send payment as soon as the cue was in his hands.

Bishop trusted his word, hence this thread.
Correct. I wasn't even supposed to see the money. I turned the cue over and he said he would send a money order immediately to the guy who sent me the cue.

Only he never did and because the guy sent me the cue on my word I'm left to cover the debt. Which I did.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
20 years in law enforcement and all I can say is that's ridiculous. I'll bet you think its entrapment when an undercover arrests a hooker for prostitution after negotiating price of services too. Or a drug dealer after buying drugs from them.

If that were the case I would personally be guilty of at least 2000 counts of extortion for suggesting perps return property to rightful owners or risk arrest.

You got that wrong. Its not extortion, it is called stating a fact.

No, it's extortion. You are comparing apples and oranges. What crime was committed smart guy??

You can't try and collect a debt by threatening to have them arrested. He made a deal, the deal went south, and someone did not get paid. Now they owe you money.

It's not a crime at this point in time, it's a deal, a civil matter, and someone failed to uphold their end of the bargain. Oh, wait, I sold a cue on ebay, and he didn't send payment, I better call the police ??

For all you know, the guy got his stolen property back, and does not believe he owes any money... and in several states he would NOT owe the money, and the "owner" of the property is not entitled to a gosh darn dime.

Bishop, in some states could be seen as a "criminal" in the courts eyes (even though I know him to be an honest guy) for "ransoming" the cue back to the rightful owner.. But threatening to send the cops over might put fear into him to cough up the cash even when he does not legally owe it....but does not want to be arrested, or think he will be arrested. See how that works?

And because your reply was not exactly cordial, I will return the favor now ;)

Being a cop is not exactly the same as knowing the law now, is it ??

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
If his Father actually took those cues that didn't belong to him, pawned them, I can see where he might think he is justified in getting even one cue back.

He is, but the sad fact is, he involved an innocent person by stringing him along and lying to him.

Bishop is out $500 no matter what the legal end of it is, and all he did was believe in someone and try to help them out.

Sometimes, the end doesn't justify the means. In this case, the means hurt someone that didn't deserve it.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member

For all you know, the guy got his stolen property back, and does not believe he owes any money... and in several states he would NOT owe the money, and the "owner" of the property is not entitled to a gosh darn dime.

Getting back late to this thread here. Is the above statement hypothetical or are you suggesting that pop stole cues back from son to pawn. I guess you were just making a point to the former lawman?

Oh yes to the lawman: you sound like the Wilt Chamberlain of vice. That must get old.

Anyhow to Bishop, I apologize for my earlier post. Good on you for trying to help out, but the son must have majored in theatre acting.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Getting back late to this thread here. Is the above statement hypothetical or are you suggesting that pop stole cues back from son to pawn. I guess you were just making a point to the former lawman?

I was insinuating we are dealing with "stolen" property according to the guy who wanted the cue back, since it was he who alleged the cue was stolen and he wanted to get it back from the "new" owner.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
After a not so thorough thread review...

1) Who says grandson's cue wasn't stolen from him?
---->Pawnbroker
---->Grandson's admission

2) Was dad's appetite for Schlitz speculation or did the pawnbroker smell him?

3) Bishop did you buy any other Ricco's cues that day.

4) Chicago land line or cell?
---->appears to be cell phone so you vigilantes may have a lot of ground to cover.

5) Was this a Caron cue?

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a not so thorough thread review...

1) Who says grandson's cue wasn't stolen from him?
---->Pawnbroker
---->Grandson's admission

2) Was dad's appetite for Schlitz speculation or did the pawnbroker smell him?

3) Bishop did you buy any other Ricco's cues that day.

4) Chicago land line or cell?
---->appears to be cell phone so you vigilantes may have a lot of ground to cover.

5) Was this a Caron cue?

1. Grandson.

Since I posted the short of it I'll post the long version about this part.

RC3 was clearly not interested in filing a police report against his father. This was a regular thing. Dad had a habit of taking anything in his possession and pawning it for spending money/drinking money. It sounded like the father took things from the grandfathers estate right before he passed away and pawned them, including the two cues I bought. So the cue was not originally in the grandson's possession but the grandfathers. The cue was made when RC3 was just a very young boy. The unique aspects of the cue clearly pointed to it being made specifically for the grandson. As I understand it was made with the intention of being willed or gifted to the grandson at a later date or possibly the cuemakers passing.

He eluded many times that he had a relationship with his father but was strained at times. He also said that the father felt bad for pawning that particular cue and might help him with the cost of retrieval. RC3 made it pretty clear that his father knew that the cue was supposed to go to his son but pawned it anyways,

We joked about having certain family members that you can't buy gifts or presents for because they always end up pawning the stuff.

There was no interest in making this a legal matter.

2. This was on RC3's word

3. I bought two. He was not interested in retrieving the other cue as it had no sentimental value to him at all. As a matter of fact he had an older Cervantes cue he offered to give me if I helped him retrieve this one.

4. Cell. Lets hold off on any vigilanting...

5. Carom? No.