No jump cue allowed

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Those of you who own nice pool tables, do you allow jumping?
We jump all the time with full size cues. When I'm skating on the edge of what physics will allow, why should I care about cloth? Cloth is meant to be replaced, you may never see that interesting shot again, why give up the chance to try it because you're worried about an essentially disposable playing surface? I was super worried about my cloth when I first got it, but I gave up on that when I realized it was getting in my head and effecting my mental game. I take care of my cloth and equipment but I'll be damned if I miss out on an interesting experiment by worrying about the cloth. Wear that shit out like a real player would and buy some more in a few years.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Those of you who own nice pool tables, do you allow jumping?
I jump on my home table and will allow family/friends to jump also. My table has been needing recovered for several years now. When that finally happens, all jumping of any kind with any cue will be banned, maybe masse shots too.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I jump on my home table and will allow family/friends to jump also. My table has been needing recovered for several years now. When that finally happens, all jumping of any kind with any cue will be banned, maybe masse shots too.
This only make sense to me, and if I was playing anywhere wherein they did not want jump shots attempted, then of course it wouldnt be a consideration.

I'm very 'pro' jump shot, and would rather someone play the shot with a jump cue rather than a full length player. Damage comes from a lack of control and it's way easier to control a jump stick then a player. If and when I finally have new cloth on my table. I will have a swatch of cloth for breaking that will be used, and masse' / jumps will be allowed base on my discretion of the player's skill.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only guys that don't like jump cues are those who didn't take the time to practice and learn. It's a skill like any other that you need to play at your best. Forcing opponents to get you up on a ball so you can't jump is a huge factor in their deciding to play safe or go for a low probability shot. All part of the game.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of swatches for Massé and jump shots. (Never thought of using them for breaks, though.)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Those that can’t kick hate the rule. Those that can’t jump love it. 😁

I like to see all players given the option to play the shot that they feel is appropriate to the situation.

Not just kick shots but long ass masse shots, too.

Joe Tucker's American Rotation does not allow jump cues, so as to keep skill as the main factor for winning (so much for his worrying about MY needs ;)). That game made me get pretty good at the long curve shots with the ob sitting in the middle of the table. I'm making quite a few of the damn things and getting some reactions from my opponents. I lost my jump shot long ago.

Jeff Livingston

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Only guys that don't like jump cues are those who didn't take the time to practice and learn. It's a skill like any other that you need to play at your best. Forcing opponents to get you up on a ball so you can't jump is a huge factor in their deciding to play safe or go for a low probability shot. All part of the game.
Exactly.... The 'kick' crowd doesn't like that reasoning however. Sloppy safeties are a thing of the past. You would think if you appreciate the ability it takes to roll a CB around a table to hit a OB, that doing the same after OB contact to get a lock down safety would also merit praise.

I'm more impressed by a 4 rail safety then a 4 rail kick. The safety is way tougher.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What does this mean? You put down a piece of cloth? If so, how/where?
Under the CB before performing the shot. I haven't seent his practice in a pool room for masse' or jumps, (although it would be a good idea). Usually people don't want you touching the CB unnecessarily

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
This only make sense to me, and if I was playing anywhere wherein they did not want jump shots attempted, then of course it wouldnt be a consideration.

I'm very 'pro' jump shot, and would rather someone play the shot with a jump cue rather than a full length player. Damage comes from a lack of control and it's way easier to control a jump stick then a player. If and when I finally have new cloth on my table. I will have a swatch of cloth for breaking that will be used, and masse' / jumps will be allowed base on my discretion of the player's skill.
Im sure you know this but I really dont understand the purpose of a "break cloth", you are still wearing "tracks" in the cloth on the way to the rack and if you "squat the rock" you are adding more burn spots similar to jumping, the only thing you protect is the starting point of the cue ball. A simple piece of paper like a partial note pad sheet also works great for a break cloth

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Im sure you know this but I really dont understand the purpose of a "break cloth", you are still wearing "tracks" in the cloth on the way to the rack and if you "squat the rock" you are adding more burn spots similar to jumping, the only thing you protect is the starting point of the cue ball. A simple piece of paper like a partial note pad sheet also works great for a break cloth
ya... It's really the localization of the "break spot". The tracks are scattered a little...lol

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that 14.1 is the same about jump cues as 1P. Sure someone on here will verify if it's a rule or just a tradition.
Yes, the official rules of One-Pocket posted on OnePocket.org prohibit jumping with anything but a standard playing cue. So special jump cues are not allowed.

The CueSports International rules for 14.1 also prohibit jumping with anything but the playing cue.

But under WPA (world-standardized) rules the equipment specs for 14.1 are the same as for 8-Ball, 9-Ball, or 10-Ball -- the cue must be at least 40 inches long, at most 25 ounces in weight, and with a tip that is at most 14 mm in width and will not damage an object ball. So many special jump cues are allowed.

For any particular event, the governing body or person(s) may be using rules that differ in one or more ways from CSI or WPA rules.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
ya... It's really the localization of the "break spot". The tracks are scattered a little...lol
I started out using a break cloth when my Simonis green was new but then tracks to the rack and the 2 spots on the foot rail from breaking an 8 ball rack started showing up so I quit using it, now instead I consider it a badge of honor that I was able to wear my cloth out so bad in such a short amount of time on my table, 95% or more of it by myself.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need to practice with a jump cue, that is the point. Jump cues remove almost all of the skill needed to execute what is a hard shot. What people need to practice is jumping with a full cue, even if it's the break cue that is used. My son when he was like 12 jumped a full ball on his 3rd ever try with a jump cue, is that what we want pool to be, 12 yr old skill level needed to play hard shots?

Too many "official" rules for allowable cues out there, they need to tighten up legal weights and lengths to make the sport consistent. 8oz tiny jump cues and 66" javelins are not what the sport should be.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I'm not anti jump cue but with or without jump cues really do make it a different game. It's personal preference which version of pool you like. I kind of like jumping with your playing cue, because while it can save your butt on occasions, it also makes you try to find interesting kicks and the fact that it's not a light weight or phenolic tip makes you really weigh the options before deciding to jump. Again, I really don't care either way but I can totally understand why people like and dislike jump cues.

EDIT:
Under the CB before performing the shot. I haven't seent his practice in a pool room for masse' or jumps, (although it would be a good idea). Usually people don't want you touching the CB unnecessarily
I've played at a small room back in the 90s that had squares of cloth on all tables and would only allow you to jump or masse if you used the squares. It was a small room with about 6 tables and when you came in for the first time the owner would explain what they were for. He said something like I don't mind if you jump or masse but put the cloth under the CB because cloth is expensive and it's hard for a small pool hall to get new cloth all the time. Seemed quite reasonable as the other pool hall in town banned jumping and masse to save on table wear.

Last edited:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Does anyone know if belgian clay or ivory cue balls perform the same as modern plastic balls when hit with a jump stroke?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
You don't need to practice with a jump cue, that is the point. Jump cues remove almost all of the skill needed to execute what is a hard shot. What people need to practice is jumping with a full cue, even if it's the break cue that is used. My son when he was like 12 jumped a full ball on his 3rd ever try with a jump cue, is that what we want pool to be, 12 yr old skill level needed to play hard shots?
Sorry but this is just funny... I had my 8 yr old daughter successfully make a kick yesterday so I guess that means kick takes next to no skill as well. Did your son make the shot...?

Granted getting over a ball is extremely easy with a jump stick, but that's where the advantage ends. Jumping with aim, with purpose, and controlling the CB after potting the ball, (if that's the goal) is a whole new ball game. Jumping with a player, is a slash and hope proposition. Nothing entertaining or impressive in witnessing desperation.