No more BS what is the best tip tool and shaft pad

Spooled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know alot of this is personal preferance but im guessing a trend will emerge pointing to one or two products.

RichLec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple tip tools. The ultimate tip tool and the cuetec bowtie are the ones I keep in the case.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I've used the same Willards nickel-sized shaper and McDermott leather pad since 1987 (they last FOREVER and work great)...I also have a tip pick that I like to occassionally tenderize the tip with, but the Willards shaper is the one tool I couldn't live without. I also keep a dry hand towel on hand to get the chalk off every two-three racks and micro papers for cleaning the shaft every three-four months.

gizmodog

Registered Lurker
Silver Member
My vote is for the Ultimate Tip Tool. I really like the scuffer sections (nickle & dime radius). I used a cue cube but it was a little too aggressive.
Chris

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
+1 on the Willards nickel shaper (or dime if you prefer) and as far as a shaft burnisher, a nice hunk of rawhide leather or even a dollar bill will do the trick very nicely.

And if you're doing well on a particular night, break out a c-note. :cool:

To recap, a nickel, a dime, a dollar, and a c-note.

Problem solved for $101.15. :thumbup:

Best,
Brian kc

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Best thing I own for cleaning the shaft is the Q-Wiz. Have not found a truly great tip tool yet, I use 2 different types of tappers, one is way too agressively toothed and the others teeth are too dull. Tip tools became less important with Blue Diamond chalk for me though. Would still love a truly great tapper to hit the market that puts a slew of micro-pores into the tip in unifrom fashion, much like the long drawn out process of using a tip pick, only faster.

rellek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta throw my vote to the willard shaper, dime for me, and I have a tiger leather burnisher, but the best burnisher I know of is bounty paper towels.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Ditto on the Willard tool. I use the nickle size on my Predator (11.75 tip size) but a dime will do as well, and in my opinion it is better to use the shaper often and not be aggressive with it than seldom use it and be agressive. You're mostly only using it to deglaze the tip surface.
Let you're friendly neighborhood cue repair person take care of the rest. :)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Tip Tool? Best? What I carry is a 2" x 2" Piece of 220 Sand Paper, and out use it about once in a very long time, to scuff up my tip. I Own a Willard & Tip Tapper but they most collect CASE DUST.

When my Shafts were new I applied Cue Wax, and do so when I can feel the Cue Wax is coming off. A Clean Soft Rag on the Shaft after days play, and clean hands during play KEEP SHAFTS CLEAN.

I am sure you have some 220 220 Sand Paper, at home if not a Sheet will cost less than a buck, and Old T-shirt make a great RAG.

NO NEED IMHO to spend on what is not nessessary. Did Willie Mosconi have a bunch of Gizmos? To play great?

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My vote goes out for the ultimate as well......but mine has a tip pick.....maybe a newer version???

I use the Ultimate Cue Tip Tool too, it has a tapper not a pick. I don't really like using a tapper to rough up the tip; I prefer using the Ultimate Cue Tip Tool for general maintenance with the scuffer side of the Cue Cube to rough the tip up to hold chalk. Great thing about the Ultimate Cue Tip Tool is you can purchase replacements for the surfaces if they get too dull.

ShaneT58

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The willard tip tool is great but the it's george tip tool is better imo. For burnishing, Q smooth papers or the tiger shaft smoother work great.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I have and use both the dime and nickel Willards tip scuffers (the dime gets the most use).

I also have and use a TipPik frequently.

I keep a micro-fiber towel in my bag for wiping down the shaft.

Maniac

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Best tip tool
Willards dime or nickel shaper.
Pro - It does the radius for you.
Con - It clogs up....especially with layered tips

Sandman tip shaper. http://www.seyberts.com/products/Sandman_Tip_Tool-58-24.html
Pros - This sucker can shape anything, never clogs and lasts forever.

Con - You do the radius.

Best shaft pad

Nick's Edge, or similar and a simple peice of leather.

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Celtic i think the tool your looking for is the Kamui Gator Grip. Works great. But for shaping i stick with the Ultimate tip tool.