No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.

For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?

• Total voters

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
90% want Pro Cut pockets. :)

Trent

Then that's your market. Feed it....:wink:

Just do the folks a favor, that are less experienced than "players" and don't steer them toward something they probably won't be so happy with. I was glad for Glen's advice and I took it. I'm sure you do the same for your clients (I hope :) )

td

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like I'm not supposed to vote, so I won't, lol. And I think the poll can be limited to whatever group for responses - makes sense given the question.

But . . . . #recreationalpoolplayerslivesmatter!

LOL...………………..

:lovies::lovies::lovies:

td

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn. My reading comprehension skills must've taken a break when I saw this thread! Lol

Do you think "players", as we reach an age where going out and gambling or competing in tournaments and such, becomes something of the past, and since the love and enjoyment for playing is still there, we navigate to 5" pockets in order to satisfy that enjoyment?

Yes. :grin-square:

td

Oops, I'm not sure if I was ever a 'player' so maybe I shouldn't have answered.

td

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Then that's your market. Feed it....:wink:

Just do the folks a favor, that are less experienced than "players" and don't steer them toward something they probably won't be so happy with. I was glad for Glen's advice and I took it. I'm sure you do the same for your clients (I hope :) )

td

I try very hard to not sell people things they are not going to be happy with. My clients are very important and I make sure provide as much information on their purchase as I can :)

Trent from Toledo

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the other thread I said due to age I'm quite happy with 5" pockets on my 9' GC.

This distain for bangers and buckets might have a bit to do with all the threads on closing poolhalls. You have to generate interest with the new "banger". Making balls is how that's done. Why do you think bars had those Valley's with pockets that sucked in balls like a black hole? Turnover, that's why. And the bar crowd loves it. Bang that ball five laps around the table, something has to go in. K-ching, more money goes in.

Your "players" only, tight pocket bias is not good for the future of pool. There has to be fun tables in any hall that wants to survive.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
In the other thread I said due to age I'm quite happy with 5" pockets on my 9' GC.

This distain for bangers and buckets might have a bit to do with all the threads on closing poolhalls. You have to generate interest with the new "banger". Making balls is how that's done. Why do you think bars had those Valley's with pockets that sucked in balls like a black hole? Turnover, that's why. And the bar crowd loves it. Bang that ball five laps around the table, something has to go in. K-ching, more money goes in.

Your "players" only, tight pocket bias is not good for the future of pool. There has to be fun tables in any hall that wants to survive.

Hmm, not sure where you get your info from. Most rooms that are opening are using Diamonds with Pro Cut Pockets. :) Closing pool halls are because no one goes to them, run down, terrible food, shitty service and most importantly: NO WOMEN ANYWHERE. Get with the now.

Trent from Toledo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7' tables should have 4" corners and 4.5" sides. IMO, that would be close to the equivalent of 4.5" corners and 5" sides on a 9' table.

I'm not a toy table hater. I just hate playing on toy tables.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a slim fit for one pocket.

Relaxed fit for rotation.

Loose fit (buckets) for 14.1.

^^^^^^^ same here but, I barely can maintain one table, maintaining three tables would make it to much like work.

Plus, I would have to build a bigger house.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geez... that's a little obtuse no?

I agree... There are many places around Los Angeles with "Ernesto" 4" pockets.

Mine are 4 1/4" … 4 3/4" sides. Play nice for rotation and 1P.

I agree!

4.25" corners and 4.75" sides would be a good "all-around" table. Just large enough to play 14.1 and 1hole but, tight enough for rotation games.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of you people need to loosen your anus a little bit. It's a simple question... do you prefer 4 1/2" or 5" pockets. If you can't answer that without trying to be a scholar or a psychiatrist, you need the later.

But, but, but....then we wouldn't sound smart.

Jeff

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
geeez,

that's a pertly thin cut "For players and not home recreational bangers".

ya need to put some game in your step man,

measure these...

tablepocket1_5.jpg

yes, you're not going to get away with being a quarter ball out of the pocket

pffff, amateur's... :wink:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the snooker world, to be world legal, the pockets have to fit a template....
..3.5 inches at the fall...and the jaws have to fit the template snug.

I suggested to RKC to make a template for pool....4.5 with no deep shelves.

But I’ll still make a game on anything...if I think I can win.

Did you mean 4.5" corners withOUT a deep shelf, or was that a typo?

I hate playing on equipment with little to no shelf.....unless of course, I'm playing 14.1...:thumbup:

Jeff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The poll specifically says : FOR PLAYERS AND NOT HOME RECREATIONAL BANGERS: PRO CUT POCKETS OR BUCKETS?

"most people" have no idea about pocket size unless you told them. So speaking frankly, they dont matter in the equation whatsoever. :)

Thanks for your vote and opinion.

Trent from Toledo

Maybe you are jumping the cart before you leap with that logic though?

'Players' damn better well be practicing on what they compete on.

If things were different today...they'd be different.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
embarrassing!

geeez,

measure these...

View attachment 534772

Dan,

That thing looks embarrassing! I make it about ten inch side pockets at the corners which are missing, maybe six inch corners, again with the cushions all butchered up. I live on a farm where nobody would see it. If you will cover the tear down, shipping, and set up, I will hide it in a barn or somewhere so people won't see it. Throw in a couple nice sticks and a nice set of balls and I'll even give you a fully cured ham.

You don't have to thank me. I am a people person and always glad to help someone recover from their mistakes!

Hu

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
geeez,

measure these...

View attachment 534772

Do you play on these rounded facings with 2.25 pool balls, or smaller snooker balls?

I bet with pool balls it plays a lot tougher than it looks.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Did you mean 4.5" corners withOUT a deep shelf, or was that a typo?

I hate playing on equipment with little to no shelf.....unless of course, I'm playing 14.1...:thumbup:

Jeff

As usual, Jeff....I feel the middle path is the way to go...the golden mean.

9D657626-DCF5-40DD-B55B-3744A8D70DC4.jpeg

This shelf is too deep...if a ball is hanging and whitey is on the same rail as the object
ball is...you can’t see enough ball to go anyplace...extreme draw still hits two jaws.

B0561AF2-4C55-4EC3-99A6-E1511986E6BB.jpeg

This Kim Steel is just two shallow...bad hits will still fall.

A6711234-7418-4112-8762-02CB32E7B97C.jpeg

This one, to me, is just right...it’s fair...good shots drop...bad shots rattle.

I played in a regular handicap 9-ball...they had one Dufferin Titan...deep shelves...
..had a ball hanging against a side pocket jaw...whitey was frozen on the same rail...
..one diamond away...I could only see less than one/eighth of the ball....
...I had no grudge against the table...never lost a match on it for the year it was there...
...but that is just too tight....but it had a perfect set of rails.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As usual, Jeff....I feel the middle path is the way to go...the golden mean.

View attachment 534773

This shelf is too deep...if a ball is hanging and whitey is on the same rail as the object
ball is...you can’t see enough ball to go anyplace...extreme draw still hits two jaws.

View attachment 534774

This Kim Steel is just two shallow...bad hits will still fall.

View attachment 534775

This one, to me, is just right...it’s fair...good shots drop...bad shots rattle.

I played in a regular handicap 9-ball...they had one Dufferin Titan...deep shelves...
..had a ball hanging against a side pocket jaw...whitey was frozen on the same rail...
..one diamond away...I could only see less than one/eighth of the ball....
...I had no grudge against the table...never lost a match on it for the year it was there...
...but that is just too tight....but it had a perfect set of rails.

We're on the same page.

I hate a shallow shelf but, to much shelf makes pool weird.

Are you ok with the 2" shelf that diamond pro-ams have?

I didn't like them at first cause it took a few shots away due to not being able to cheat the pocket as much. I'm over it now. Just had to learn new ways to make certain shots or play better safes.

Jeff

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like being able to cheat the pockets a little and being able to fire the balls in at a pretty fast speed. I like POWER pool.

I'm not into bunting and pussyfooting around the table.