Non-Layered Tips

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Any top pros using non layered, if so whom?
Not looking for a pro that's $elling/Endor$ing merchandise.

A personal choice.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any top pros using non layered, if so whom?
Not looking for a pro that's $elling/Endor$ing merchandise.

A personal choice.
tough enough to keep tabs on what cue they use much less tips. All top guys i know of use a layered of some kind. Why wouldn't they? They're more consistent. They also get them free so the $40+ install is not an issue for them. Earl and Efren still use Elk's afaik.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Gone are the days when Le Pro was the tip of choice.
Having seen more pros.... UNEXPECTEDLY miscue at a totally unexpected moment, somethin' is going on.
tough enough to keep tabs on what cue they use much less tips. All top guys i know of use a layered of some kind. Why wouldn't they? They're more consistent. They also get them free so the $40+ install is not an issue for them. Earl and Efren still use Elk's afaik.
True, but thee most important thing in pro pool is the Eyes, then the tip in that order.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Still a great tip IF you get a good one. I've heard that Tweeten's QC has gotten better in last cupla yrs. Lets hope so, couldn't get much worse. 10 good tips out of 50 is not a good batting average.
I really like a good Le Pro. Trouble is, I don't know how to pick out the good ones.🤪Like you said 2 out of 10 are good.
Anybody have suggestions for picking out the good ones?

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like a good Le Pro. Trouble is, I don't know how to pick out the good ones.🤪Like you said 2 out of 10 are good.
I had a bunch I put away that I pressed myself. They are just a touch harder than original but they don't mushroom like a non pressed one. Then I switched to carbon fiber and don't use them anymore but they were great on my old Schon cues before the switch.

As far as a good one? I look at the bottom where it attaches and look for a uniform surface. Seems the ones that are non uniform, uneven or wavy turn out to be junk. You also need all of the coating sanded off evenly prior to installing it.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Might help to know what "good" means...

pj
chgo
Okay, here goes:
I don't like the ones that produce that loud "Click" at impact.
I don't like the "Squishy" ones.
I like the "Good" ones that have a nice solid "Doink" feel that you can feel through your hand and wrist all the way up to your elbow.😁
That's what "Good" means to me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, here goes:
I don't like the ones that produce that loud "Click" at impact.
I don't like the "Squishy" ones.
I like the "Good" ones that have a nice solid "Doink" feel that you can feel through your hand and wrist all the way up to your elbow.😁
That's what "Good" means to me.
I use 'doink' as a descriptor all the time. Young'uns look at me like "WTF??" ;)

Island Drive

Silver Member
Look at the bottom, if it looks more like a piece of chocolate w/o allot of grain too it, set it aside. Once you've separated these two, next. Tap the flat surface on too a hard surface. The good ones will have that sound of being more solid than another. Usually I'd get maybe 10-12 out of a box, and end up using maybe 8 of em.

bm

xX-Wizard-Xx

why does it matter? if you cant play with it and they can .... it doesnt mean a thing to you. find a tip you like and stick with it ... whether it is a 50c tip from walmart or a 25 dollar tip from moori ... what somebody else has or does ...who cares

Island Drive

Silver Member
True xX, but the GLUE between surfaces has it's exposure effect on less grab than non-layered leather, or am I wrong?