ob shafts

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
Can you put an ivory ferrel on an OB Shaft? OB Classic is the shaft I am referring too.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
okay

I agree, you "can", but i wouldn't. It would take that shaft play like garbage

OK I gotcha I didn't know and didn't know that it would make it play like garbage. I have some friends that have ivory ferrels on there regular maple shafts and was just curious.

Thanks for the input.

BuchananCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes on Classic ob

Can you put an ivory ferrel on an OB Shaft? OB Classic is the shaft I am referring too.

i have on 3 classic ob shafts cause that is what customer wanted very easy install with tip pad.
small change just in the hit just a little hard customer used a med tip and we change to soft to get the same play out of shaft

stock ob classic ferrule are a blended polymer extremely durable with a soft to med hit

shaft-slide-home-page.jpg

Dale
Buchanan Custom Cues

DirtyIrish

Not even close to the OGs
Silver Member
Ob equiptment

I am Very dedicated "OB" player ( saving to be dealer) but I could and would say one thing "IF" it made any shaft play better I think (dangerous thought) Royce or Shane would have it to offer!
Now remember this is just a thought,but think about it...how effective would an tiny ivory ferrule
Irish

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory is a very unique material. I cannot understand how anyone can say it would play like garbage if someone installed one on an OB shaft. Did you put an ivory ferrule on an OB shaft? Probably not, so then how do you know it would play like "garbage"? And in the off chance that you did, it playing like "garbage" is your opinion. Maybe someone else would think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Geesh!

Additionally, OB is a shaft and cue manufacturer. As such they need standardization and the ability to ship cues worldwide. You cannot ship ivory worldwide and that blows the standardization not to mention that they don't need the aggravation and scrutiny of our beloved government. Furthermore, the cost of ivory on a shaft would add tremendous costs and supposedly defeat the purpose and beliefs of wanting a lower deflection shaft in the first place. Assuming of course one believe in low deflection shafts to begin with.

RBC

Deceased
I've been busy in the shop and had not seen this thread until now.

I guess the answer is yes, you can put an ivory ferrule on an OB Classic shaft.

Another question would be Why would you want to put an ivory ferrule on an OB Classic shaft.

Here are the things to consider:

1. Traditional ivory ferruled shafts often do have that "ivory" type of feel or sound. The fact that not all of them have this lends credence to the fact that Ivory is organic and it won't all the be same. These traditional ivory ferruled shafts also will all have a pretty high "effective tip end mass". All the scientific evidence certainly indicates that "effective tip end mass" is the almost exclusive determinant to cue ball "squirt" or "deflection". The higher this is the higher the squirt.

2. The OB Classic, as well as all OB shafts, is designed very explicitly to provide excellent feel and sound along with a very low "effective tip end mass". So, they have the quality sound and feel that many are looking for and they are very low squirt. Obviously, we offer many different shafts. Each with their own combination of feel sound and squirt because not everyone wants the same thing.

3. Ivory ferrules are heavy. They are one of the heaviest materials commonly used for ferrules. That being said, if you replace the ferrule on a Classic with ivory, you will be adding weight and increasing the "Effective tip end mass". Which, of course will increase the cue ball squirt as well.

So, to sum it all up, if you're looking for the feel sound and squirt of the OB Classic, then I wouldn't mess with it. Installing an ivory ferrule will definitely change all of those characteristics. If you really want the feel sound and squirt of a traditional ivory ferruled shaft, then go find one that suits your liking. Be prepared to hit with a few because they won't all be the same. And be prepared for the higher cue ball squirt too.

I know that I do like the feel and sound of a good traditional ivory ferruled shaft. I played with them many times over the years. I also know that I choose lower cue ball squirt. With the OB Pro, that I play with, I get the feel and sound I want along with the performance of lower cue ball squirt. What is good for you is really up to you.

Shoot well!

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I had a guy that brought me an OB shaft and had me put a break ferrule/tip on it. I drilled out the end and put in a tenon and put a phenolic combo tip on it................ I told him it might blow up on a hard slam break.... it is holding up so far....

go figure

Kim

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory ferrules can and will all hit similarly if you buy from the same source who knows how and from where to cut ivory. Ivory is one of the heaviest ferrule materials to use on a cue but that doesn't make it wrong or bad. It makes it different than other materials and most will agree that nothing hits quite like an ivory ferrule. You either love it or hate it or you buy into today's "technology" with less is better. I'm a believer in play with what you like and practice with what you play.

As far as the 'squirt', 'deflection' and whatever other terms can come into play, I think in many cases it's mind over matter; if you don't have a mind, it really don't matter.

When you play with a cue and shaft, you are practicing and getting accustomed to that particular equipment. Your mind is compensating for any short coming/adjustments and causing you to aim and play the way you do. If you play and practice with a low deflection shaft, your mind is compensating for any short coming/adjustments and causing you to aim and play the way you do. The point is that regardless whether you play with a broom stick or you play with a low deflection, low squirt shaft, your mind is compensating. It's the practicing that makes you better and not only is it just practicing but 'perfect practice' that makes one better.

I don't know if a low deflection, low squirt shaft will make a "C" player into an "A" player but I do know that perfect practice will in many cases. Will a low deflection and low squirt shaft make a better player, can never be proven but practicing with that equipment will in most cases make someone a better player. And, practicing with any decent shaft will make most a better player.

No one can ever prove that this particular product or that particular product will change the way you play and make you a better player. There is no way to quantify that as we all play differently and playing better with any given product is, in many instances, in fact most instances, in the mind.

When I was in stroke, I was in stroke (long time ago). I tried a Predator once for about a month and had to get use to it. My game was about the same but I had to learn all over again. The point is that regardless what you play with, you have to get use to it. Once again, it's the mind dictating the stroke. I then went back to my regular shaft and it took several weeks for me to get adjusted again where I felt comfortable playing.

I am a believer in hard work and if you work hard at practicing perfectly, you will achieve the best results of maximum playability for you.

Will a low deflection, low squirt shaft make you play better? I honestly don't know but I do know that if you practice and practice perfectly with whatever you choose, it will make you a better player. I know OB builds a quality product using quality goods with quality American employees right here in the USA. That is a far cry from their closest competitor using foreign ingenuity and cheap labor costs to maximize profits here in the USA. Quite frankly, that company is a predator upon the marketplace. :D

If you want a specialty shaft, the decision is simple: American quality -vs- cheap imports & Madison Avenue marketing. Gee, that's a tough one!

Last edited:

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
great feed back

Thanks every one for the replies! Royce and Joe, thanks again for contributing positively to the thread.

Last edited:

RBC

Deceased
Ivory ferrules can and will all hit similarly if you buy from the same source who knows how and from where to cut ivory. Ivory is one of the heaviest ferrule materials to use on a cue but that doesn't make it wrong or bad. It makes it different than other materials and most will agree that nothing hits quite like an ivory ferrule. You either love it or hate it or you buy into today's "technology" with less is better. I'm a believer in play with what you like and practice with what you play.

As far as the 'squirt', 'deflection' and whatever other terms can come into play, I think in many cases it's mind over matter; if you don't have a mind, it really don't matter.

When you play with a cue and shaft, you are practicing and getting accustomed to that particular equipment. Your mind is compensating for any short coming/adjustments and causing you to aim and play the way you do. If you play and practice with a low deflection shaft, your mind is compensating for any short coming/adjustments and causing you to aim and play the way you do. The point is that regardless whether you play with a broom stick or you play with a low deflection, low squirt shaft, your mind is compensating. It's the practicing that makes you better and not only is it just practicing but 'perfect practice' that makes one better.

I don't know if a low deflection, low squirt shaft will make a "C" player into an "A" player but I do know that perfect practice will in many cases. Will a low deflection and low squirt shaft make a better player, can never be proven but practicing with that equipment will in most cases make someone a better player. And, practicing with any decent shaft will make most a better player.

No one can ever prove that this particular product or that particular product will change the way you play and make you a better player. There is no way to quantify that as we all play differently and playing better with any given product is, in many instances, in fact most instances, in the mind.

When I was in stroke, I was in stroke (long time ago). I tried a Predator once for about a month and had to get use to it. My game was about the same but I had to learn all over again. The point is that regardless what you play with, you have to get use to it. Once again, it's the mind dictating the stroke. I then went back to my regular shaft and it took several weeks for me to get adjusted again where I felt comfortable playing.

I am a believer in hard work and if you work hard at practicing perfectly, you will achieve the best results of maximum playability for you.

Will a low deflection, low squirt shaft make you play better? I honestly don't know but I do know that if you practice and practice perfectly with whatever you choose, it will make you a better player. I know OB builds a quality product using quality goods with quality American employees right here in the USA. That is a far cry from their closest competitor using foreign ingenuity and cheap labor costs to maximize profits here in the USA. Quite frankly, that company is a predator upon the marketplace. :D

If you want a specialty shaft, the decision is simple: American quality -vs- cheap imports & Madison Avenue marketing. Gee, that's a tough one!

Joe

Thanks for the recognition and pump up for our company and products. I appreciate it very much.

What you say about practice is absolutely true. Also, it's certainly true that our subconscious has to adjust to however much squirt our current equipment has in order to pocket balls with side spin. That, of course, applies to LD, regular squirt, Ivory ferrules etc. It's all true.

The one thing I do have to add though is this. Even though we do practice, and we practice very hard, we are still human and will still make mistakes. I remember hearing Danny Dileberto (sp?) saying that in all his years he's never met a player who didn't miss. We all do at least sometimes. What low cue ball squirt does is to reduce the amount we miss by. It's simply a matter of numbers.

Certainly, low cue ball squirt is not for everyone, and neither is high cue ball squirt. It's a good thing that we have choices.

Shoot Well!

Royce

Last edited: