offered to adjust and refused

jbcueman

Registered
When I was around 18 and a C player in our pool hall I used to play a class A player who spotted me 25 points to a game of 50 in straight pool and always beat me.One day I said that I would play him even.He said I was nuts because I could not even beat him with the spot.I took no spot .He said that he would break and I said we will lag.He lost the lag,broke and I ran 25 on him.Never ran that many ever!! Beat him like 50-38.I would get too comfortable with that big spot.Go figure.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you want to get better at potting balls, practice potting balls. If you want to get better at safety play, practice safety play. If you want to learn better patterns and creative shots, go to YouTube and watch the best players play, then practice what you learn. If you want to get better at playing other players, play other players. If you want to get better at winning games, play games you can win. You can’t get better at winning, without winning. So take the spot, if you want to get better at winning. If you’re wanting to get better at something else, play even. My .02

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

eg9327

I seldom gamble, but the weight will even things, plus makes the better player work harder. I play one pocket with my wife, who I can beat handily, but I enjoy the practice. We play 12-4 and she wins most games. I have to focus harder to win. My better focus forces her to do the same. I think pool is better when you both are challenged.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seldom gamble, but the weight will even things, plus makes the better player work harder. I play one pocket with my wife, who I can beat handily, but I enjoy the practice. We play 12-4 and she wins most games. I have to focus harder to win. My better focus forces her to do the same. I think pool is better when you both are challenged.
Playing someone 12-4 you have to stop them at 3.
Thats how to think about that game.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A - Player B could be laying down a hustle.

B - Player B could be stubborn as a mule.

C - Player B could have plenty of cash and losing small stakes is meaningless.

I'd lean toward C. There used to be a lawyer who lost what I would consider a lot of money against obviously better players but he didn't quit. What I consider a lot of money was chump change for him.