Ohio Open, US PRO SERIES

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's just let the promoters put their money where they feel it needs to be. If it works out, super. If not, they'll try something else. I can tell you this though, doing it the way it's always been done is not going to work. That's been proven over and over and over again.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poteet defeats Kiamco and Seaman beat Oi to move into the final 8.
I think we all mostly agree the shootout is not we want to see to determine matches. I personally would rather see best of 3 sets if doing the races to 4. It’s not like time is a factor in these tournaments. They stretch them out over 4-5 days and some days the players only play one match that takes an hour. Some players that lost Wednesday didn’t play again till Friday. So having some matches go to an additional race to 4 tiebreaker wouldn’t put it behind schedule I don’t think. Anyways, it’s not ideal for most diehard fans but it’s streamed free and easy to watch so I’m pulling for the last few Americans and taking it for what it is.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's possible but what else do we have to go by?

Another detriment to this format: falsely inflated Fargo Ratings. Each of the players above will have their Fargo Ratings elevated possibly because they can shoot spot shots.
The spot shots won’t affect their ratings. The games they played to get to the spot shots will.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we all mostly agree the shootout is not we want to see to determine matches. I personally would rather see best of 3 sets if doing the races to 4. It’s not like time is a factor in these tournaments. They stretch them out over 4-5 days and some days the players only play one match that takes an hour. Some players that lost Wednesday didn’t play again till Friday. So having some matches go to an additional race to 4 tiebreaker wouldn’t put it behind schedule I don’t think. Anyways, it’s not ideal for most diehard fans but it’s streamed free and easy to watch so I’m pulling for the last few Americans and taking it for what it is.
I could live with 3 races to 4 also. It might evolve to that.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
The spot shots won’t affect their ratings. The games they played to get to the spot shots will.
That is what I would expect, although it does create another interesting scenario where the winning player can have a losing game count (ie. 0-4, 4-3). So although a players Fargo can always decrease after winning a match, the winner here would move on but Fargo records a game count of 4-7. That particular score doesn’t come up much but I’ve seen more than a few matches where the winning player has a losing game count. I can imagine that could negatively affect some players scores.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Reminder this format is marketed to attract viewers who normally don't watch pool. If the existing formats worked in attracting more audience, not just exiting die hards then pool would still be on TV instead of darts or cornhole? For all the complainers here, when was the last time you saw a pro tour, with this kind of money? Or the money offered

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I could live with 3 races to 4 also. It might evolve to that.
The format is marketed towards non-pool viewers. It could be a gateway to attract more viewers into existing tournaments and formats. The high tide rise all boats. Pool experienced a resurgence when The Color of Money came out.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminder this format is marketed to attract viewers who normally don't watch pool. If the existing formats worked in attracting more audience, not just exiting die hards then pool would still be on TV instead of darts or cornhole? For all the complainers here, when was the last time you saw a pro tour, with this kind of money? Or the money offered
It’s very obvious who this format is aimed at as I mentioned in a earlier post in this thread but thanks for the reminder. I think it’s great CSI and Predator are putting on these events and I’ve watched all of them. I don’t hate the idea of best of sets using short races in these events, I’m just not a fan of the shoot outs. I didn’t like them when Darren tried it in the WPS and I don’t like them here, but I still watched cause at the end of the day it’s pro pool and hope it grows the sport whether I 100% like the format or not.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The format is marketed towards non-pool viewers. It could be a gateway to attract more viewers into existing tournaments and formats. The high tide rise all boats. Pool experienced a resurgence when The Color of Money came out.
It’s very obvious who this format is aimed at as I mentioned in a earlier post in this thread but thanks for the reminder. I think it’s great CSI and Predator are putting on these events and I’ve watched all of them. I don’t hate the idea of best of sets using short races in these events, I’m just not a fan of the shoot outs. I didn’t like them when Darren tried it in the WPS and I don’t like them here, but I still watched cause at the end of the day it’s pro pool and hope it grows the sport whether I 100% like the format or not.
Where have these events been marketed to the viewers who don't already watch pool? I've not seen any such marketing. If it is out there, it would be interesting to see where.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where have these events been marketed to the viewers who don't already watch pool? I've not seen any such marketing. If it is out there, it would be interesting to see where.
I’m talking more about these events being held at CSI league events that have a lot of causal league players in attendance that might not necessarily enjoy sitting down to watch longer races but quick races to 4 and shootouts will hold their attention better and the short race formats are what they are familiar with in their league play. Certainly not suggesting that this will bring in people watching that don’t already watch, just that it caters more to the crowd in attendance.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I’m talking more about these events being held at CSI league events that have a lot of causal league players in attendance that might not necessarily enjoy sitting down to watch longer races but quick races to 4 and shootouts will hold their attention better and the short race formats are what they are familiar with in their league play. Certainly not suggesting that this will bring in people watching that don’t already watch, just that it caters more to the crowd in attendance.
It's good then to make the distinction between marketing it to non-pool players and marketing it to regular, casual players. That's what pool is missing in order to get the bigger money and fame which is what will draw in the non-player.

Yeah, the whole, hey if you become top 20 player in your country as a pro, you can make what you might make as a secretary, just doesn't do it for most people.

Time will tell if this format helps to bring interest to the more casual player.

Jaden

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Here is one of the comments from Chris Melling's 8-ball run (WPS), which garnered 22 million views.
I'm not a pool fan and that was incredible.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
What you describe happens when a shootout occurs. Crowd immediately develop in the room.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
WPS gave us Chris Melling's 8-ball run, caught on camera and garnered 22 million views on Youtube.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Actually, one thing this is doing that has been absent is putting it in the forefront on a regular basis. That is what has kept the casual player out of the loop. If they continue to do 25K added tourneys continuously like they have been these last several weeks, it WILL start getting the casual players interest and that's irrespective of format...

Jaden

p.s. that's the problem with doing multivariable marketing analysis though. I hope they don't assume if having these tournaments DOES bring in casual player interest that it's this wacked out format that's doing it.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is one of the comments from Chris Melling's 8-ball run (WPS), which garnered 22 million views.
I'm not a pool fan and that was incredible.

Everyone loves a trick shots even more so when they are strung together like that. People who don't know pool will think he's the greatest player to ever play because of the relatively lucky out. Just like people who don't know basketball think the Globetrotters are the best basketball team. That's the inherit problem with pool. When it is played at its highest level, it looks easy. Those of us who play know it isn't and appreciate the skill needed to make it look easy. A non pool playing coworker asked me who the best pool player is in the country. I sent him a couple videos of Shane playing. He came back with, "What's so great about this guy? All he does is shoot easy shots. I could do that." I explained to him the difficulty in the game isn't necessarily pocketing the balls but controlling the cue ball in order to get easy shots. EVERYTIME. If you don't play it, you cannot appreciate it for what it is.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is what I would expect, although it does create another interesting scenario where the winning player can have a losing game count (ie. 0-4, 4-3). So although a players Fargo can always decrease after winning a match, the winner here would move on but Fargo records a game count of 4-7. That particular score doesn’t come up much but I’ve seen more than a few matches where the winning player has a losing game count. I can imagine that could negatively affect some players scores.
A players Fargo can easily go down after a win. If SVB beats me 9-8, his Fargo would go down.