Old idea for the new age of pool

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since poolrooms seem to be disappearing, I've been trying to come up with ideas for a poolroom that will actually work. My latest idea is a deli/greasy spoon type of business with a poolroom on the side. It's no secret poolplayers are not big spenders. They don't drink alot of beer or alcohol, but they do like to eat. If the food is good and affordable it might be enough to support a small poolroom on the side.
Ideas anyone??

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The pool hall were I play One Pocket, is on a slow decline, and not because of the services it provides. There are eighteen full-size Brunswick IIs and IVs, beer and liquor sales, and a full-menu grill. It's everything you'd want, or need, in a modern pool room yet it's becoming harder and harder for the owner to make a reasonable profit and stay in business.
The reason, of course is the economy. Until the US economy improves, small business owners such as those running our local pool rooms are going to suffer, and there isn't a promotion or sales gimmick that will improve their lot.
The best we may be able to hope for is that they can at least down size to the point where they are still able to keep the doors open. :smile:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I've seen a lot of combination pool rooms, the most popular idea being bar/poolroom. That's as safe a bet as any. You also see club/poolroom, with a dance floor and loud music... perfect for serious players.

The thing I notice is that most of the time, the pool part of the business suffers because it's not the part that's making money. If the deli part is successful, it just carries the pool room on its back. When you have a few extra grand to reinvest, will you refelt the tables, or spend it on restaurant equipment, which is your bread and butter?

The only time I've played in a pool hall where the equipment is perfect (which is what I 95% care about)... is in an actual pool hall that doesn't have any secondary business attached to it.

Depending on your area, there may be an untapped market of frustrated players looking for a real pool hall with quality equipment vs. a bar with tables. I personally am driving 35-40 miles every week to play on good equipment, though I can play on garbage 15 miles away.

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The depressed economy definitely hurts lots of small businesses, including pool room operators. I also think a lot of small biz lack effective marketing.

Take a look at some of the pool room websites. They're rarely updated or contain info to entice players. Most pool rooms have house pros, but wouldn't it be nice for these house pros to post a blog on a regular basis? Invite site visitors to comment and interact.

Many rooms opt to update via Facebook, mainly because it's the latest big thing and it's convenient... But unfortunately lots of people still avoid FB and FB updates don't show up on Google searches.

What about cross marketing with other local businesses? Bring a pool room receipt to the cafe next door for a free latte, or bring a coffee shop receipt for a free hour of pool?

Treat pool tables like NASCAR race cars and sell ad space. Don't have to plaster ads all over the whole table, but maybe just on a couple of the sides...

How about "adopt-a-table"? A player can adopt a table, pre-pay a certain dollar amount, and that table will be his/her "reserved" table for a period of time. S/he gets priority on that table anytime the place is open. Maybe even a free beverage to go along the perk.

ANYWAY... Those are just some crazy ideas I've thought of. Disclaimer: my day job has nothing to do with pool or marketing, but I definitely consider myself a student in both. I would love to see the pool flourish as a sport and as a business!

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that a coffee shop pool room that had a newspaper (now internet) stand where people could come and relax. Chess, checkers, darts, someone playing guitar. Most all things allowed including big dogs and girls with long hair.
A place where people would want to hang out, shoot the breeze and maybe get a game of chess or play a game of pool. If operated in such a way that rude people are required to leave. It could be a success.
There is a biker bar in Ohio. It caters to the rough trade but there are no fights or even obnoxious behaviors beyond the language you would expect in such a place. The owner has one rule. Any physical fight and you are banned for life. His way of operating has always impressed me: loud juke box, beer bottles intentionally broken in a metal waste basket every so often and three good quality bar pool tables with Simonis cloth.
It is something to see a bunch of red neck bikers all in one place enjoying the beer, pool and loud music. They all spend lots of money too and some are B – B+ players.

BTW I have never seen a hustler in there for all the obvious reasons -- he could wind up dead

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a lot of combination pool rooms, the most popular idea being bar/poolroom. That's as safe a bet as any. You also see club/poolroom, with a dance floor and loud music... perfect for serious players.

The thing I notice is that most of the time, the pool part of the business suffers because it's not the part that's making money. If the deli part is successful, it just carries the pool room on its back. When you have a few extra grand to reinvest, will you refelt the tables, or spend it on restaurant equipment, which is your bread and butter?

The only time I've played in a pool hall where the equipment is perfect (which is what I 95% care about)... is in an actual pool hall that doesn't have any secondary business attached to it.

Depending on your area, there may be an untapped market of frustrated players looking for a real pool hall with quality equipment vs. a bar with tables. I personally am driving 35-40 miles every week to play on good equipment, though I can play on garbage 15 miles away.

35-40 miles a week, I just played two days in a row and drove 120 miles,
as it's sixty miles round trip just to play once, yes it s*cks but if I want to play I have no choice that's the closest room to me.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can only speak to my own experience.

I used to spend tons of money in several poolrooms. Leagues, food, drink, equipment, darts, everything. Then I bought a 9' table and a dartboard.

I rarely go into poolrooms anymore. Unless there's a tournament, you won't see me. I play pool, literally, every day, but I never go to pool halls. My table paid for itself years ago and I don't need anymore trophies.

I wish all pool hall owners well, but until the economy picks up, I've got to be wise with what little money I make. I can't think of anything, except big tournaments, that would lure me in.

Rak9up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
combine golf and pool......years ago there was a boom of putt putts
with large buildings closing down like grocery stores.
build golf course type holes on tables..with hazards embrace the jump shot over trouble or play around it. tee off with 4 people and pay by the round rather than the hour..caroming off the opponent is allowed farthest from the hole always shoots first...you could have bumper pool holes and also regular pockets. I say make the game even more challenging. The game would require banks, caroms, jumpshots, strategy...and just a little capital to start it up$$$

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I always thought a good idea would be to put a small (maybe 4-5 tables) poolroom w/a bar, inside of the large shopping malls so the poor bastards that get dragged out to one by their wives would have something to do while the "little lady" spends all their hard-earned cash on purses, undergarments, and shoes :thumbup:!!! I bet my wife could even get ME to go out to the mall if I had a place like that to look forward to.

Maniac (this post not meant to sound chauvinistic :embarrassed2:)

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Strange new idea...

I have a strange and unique idea. How about combining a billiard center with an owner who cares about pool?

Yes, I'm half joking. But in recent years, it seems to be harder and harder to find a pool hall owned by someone who loves the game.

Where I live the attitude among owners seems to be, "Why should I _____________ (fill in the blank: re-cover tables, clean restrooms), when _____________ (some other owner) doesn't do it? It's kind of like a race to the bottom.

In my humble opinion, an owner who cares about pool, and listens to the complaints and suggestions of customers will succeed in the long run.

A few years ago, Robert Byrne wrote a piece for a pool mag describing his perfect pool room. A friend and I created our version for a local publication in 2009. We rated all the local establishments on a point system, and not surprisingly none scored well.

I've been around long enough to know that billiard centers run properly generally succeed. But where I live, the philosophy seems to be: Don't show your face much or you'll have to answer criticism. Or, "I want drinkers, not pool players". Or, even worse, they promise things (re-covering, better air quality, more tournaments, etc.) and never follow through.

Pool is in expansion world-wide, but on a down-swing in this country. It's not just the economy, or lack of players, or smoking regulations, THE PROBLEM LIES PRIMARILY WITH OWNERS OF BILLIARD ESTABLISHMENTS WHO DON'T CARE ABOUT PROMOTING THE GAME...

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Since poolrooms seem to be disappearing, I've been trying to come up with ideas for a poolroom that will actually work. My latest idea is a deli/greasy spoon type of business with a poolroom on the side. It's no secret poolplayers are not big spenders. They don't drink alot of beer or alcohol, but they do like to eat. If the food is good and affordable it might be enough to support a small poolroom on the side.
Ideas anyone??

I am not a business person but it seems to me, the first rule of running a successful business is to cater to customers who spend money. :D

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Customers who spend money?

I think what you mean is customers who spend lots of money.

To be a customer means you spend something..

What many business owners don't realize is that five customers who spend $10 a night are just as good for business as one customer who spends $50. Actually, the five are better, as they each may bring in other customers.

IMHO the successful owner caters to ALL customers, whether they spend a little or a lot...

Owners need to divest themselves of the notion that they can draw wealthy customers. The very wealthy tend to play golf and tennis rather than pool. And those who do play pool tend to have their own table at home. Pool is played mostly by middle and lower income people, and that's where the money is.

In other words, take care of us average folks, and your business will likely succeed...

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

laserbrn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reality is that even in a hurting economy a pool hall is a tough if not impossible business. In a strong economy I would argue that it only gets worse. Rent goes up when there's a good chance that another business could be occupying the space that you are and be more profitable.

Pool tables take up a lot of real estate. I've tried to pencil out making it work since I was 18 years old. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a pool hall work and MAKE money, at least not significant money.

To combat this, they are usually in the crappiest part of town and the margins even then are so slim that there's just no extra money for keeping the tables nice and adding money to tourney's, etc. The focus HAS to be on the other things that make money like booze/food sales, but then I might as well open a bar/restaurant.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Impossible?

Successful pool business impossible?

Are the many very successful billiard establishments a figment of my imagination?

Granted, it's very tough to make a go just with pool tables. It's a given that the successful places do offer drinks, food, etc. But is it right to FOCUS only on the drinks and food?

Why not focus on the pool (to bring in business) and the other to KEEP the business?

The problem is that too many cities don't have a decent pool room, so owners don't have any competition forcing them to compete for business...

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a business person but it seems to me, the first rule of running a successful business is to cater to customers who spend money. :D

And to earn a profit.

Foodservice margins are already so low, sammich counter can't support itsef and a pool room. Add hot food too? Fugeddaboud it.

Alcohol is necessary to the pool room business, unless you are mad at your money or already have too much of it.

Billyard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in California and I think they should make a Pool Hall and Pot House. There are hundreds of pot stores within 30 miles and they all are able to make a living. The trick would either to open a smokers friendly location or actually sell the evil weed right on site. You would not be able to sell alcohol though but I think you would make plenty off the marijuana sales. The pool tables would then be something that people pay for cause they want to hang out and smoke. There are several pot lounges and hash bars in this area and they all have a steady clientele.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
No successful pool halls?

Until you name them and we discuss, yes. You are dreaming.

Rather surprised at your comment. Are you really claiming that I and others can name NO successful billiard centers in the country?

After all, you yourself have added the name of a pool hall that you recommend on another thread!

Doing a search under "best pool halls" on AZ brings you MANY threads mentioning MANY pool halls. With your incredible number of posts, I'm thinking you must have seen a few mentions of money-making businesses.

I really believe your view of pool today is pretty accurate, but you try to deal in absolutes. There ARE businesses doing well, and they're mentioned often on AZ and seen in live streaming of tournaments. I've been to quite a few in my day. I'm not claiming that there is a fool-proof secret to success, but I don't know why some folks want to argue with my theory that basically says, "If you give people what they want, you have a much better chance of succeeding in business".

Yes, pool halls are currently dropping like flies. I think there are a number of reasons, the first being a lack of conscientious business owners.

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
In time, maybe...

I live in California and I think they should make a Pool Hall and Pot House. There are hundreds of pot stores within 30 miles and they all are able to make a living. The trick would either to open a smokers friendly location or actually sell the evil weed right on site. You would not be able to sell alcohol though but I think you would make plenty off the marijuana sales. The pool tables would then be something that people pay for cause they want to hang out and smoke. There are several pot lounges and hash bars in this area and they all have a steady clientele.

My sponsor back in 1974 made the same suggestion.
Great ideas don't die, they just wait the day...

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poolrooms

And to earn a profit.

Foodservice margins are already so low, sammich counter can't support itsef and a pool room. Add hot food too? Fugeddaboud it.

Alcohol is necessary to the pool room business, unless you are mad at your money or already have too much of it.

I beg to differ- i have owned and ran a room for 13yr, and do not sell alcohol but am not sharing my secret here.!!!!! but i remember the days in ATLANTA {BIG TOWN} room and it was packed all day long and served the best irish stew you ever laped a lip around !!! but this was in early 60es. but all room was doing great. just saying!!!:thumbup: