Old IPT Video of Bustamante

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
Thought some of you might like to watch this video from the King of the Hill tournament in FL. It's a partial 8 ball game and he gets stuck on his blocked 8 ball. Forgive the camera work. It was my phone back then, plus I panned rather fast, lol

You also may want to watch the other 3 vids I have up: Corey Deuel making a good kick shot then selling out in a challenge match, Hyper kid playing pool (also posted in the Joke thread), and Fingernail pool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeN6QlUE8nM&feature=channel

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Linda! Long time on read. :smile:

Gosh, that was a great venue. Thanks for sharing the link. I have some good memories of that week! It happened in December 2005. :cool:

Bustamante came in, I think, subject to check, third place in that tournament. I was sitting outside in front of the conference center, smoking a cigarette with him, and he told me that it was the most money he had ever one at one tournament, 80-something-thousand dollars. Wow! :smile:

Man, how about that green room with the buffet, free Fiji water, and recliner chairs. Thanks for the memories! Those were the days! :p

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Hi, Linda! Long time on read. :smile:

Gosh, that was a great venue. Thanks for sharing the link. I have some good memories of that week! It happened in December 2005. :cool:

Bustamante came in, I think, subject to check, third place in that tournament. I was sitting outside in front of the conference center, smoking a cigarette with him, and he told me that it was the most money he had ever one at one tournament, 80-something-thousand dollars. Wow! :smile:

Man, how about that green room with the buffet, free Fiji water, and recliner chairs. Thanks for the memories! Those were the days! :p

I know, those days were sure awesome. I have a polo shirt that I had autographed by every player in the IPT. Of course, half of them I couldn't tell you who they were by their signatures! Wonder how much that would be worth now, since a few of them are no longer with us. :(

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know, those days were sure awesome. I have a polo shirt that I had autographed by every player in the IPT. Of course, half of them I couldn't tell you who they were by their signatures! Wonder how much that would be worth now, since a few of them are no longer with us. :(

You know, Keith still thinks it is the best tournament he had ever been to, bar none, as far as quality and payouts. I guess we were all fortunate to take a ride on the IPT train while it was on the tracks. It is a shame that it derailed. It really was a great vision for pool. Nobody else has poured tens of millions of dollars into pool, to include giving each BCA Hall of Famer $30,000 for just showing up to this Orlando King of the Hill event. All other players got, if memory serves me right, $6,000 just for showing up, and then, if they were lucky enough to score in the tournament, that was additional cash winnings. Man, those sure were the days, and I was really thrilled to be a part of it.

I don't care what anybody says. Team McCready appreciated Kevin Trudeau's attempts to make something happen positive in pool. :cool:

Attachments

• Kevin Trudeau and Keith McCready.JPG
    Kevin Trudeau and Keith McCready.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 276

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
You know, Keith still thinks it is the best tournament he had ever been to, bar none, as far as quality and payouts. I guess we were all fortunate to take a ride on the IPT train while it was on the tracks. It is a shame that it derailed. It really was a great vision for pool. Nobody else has poured tens of millions of dollars into pool, to include giving each BCA Hall of Famer $30,000 for just showing up to this Orlando King of the Hill event. All other players got, if memory serves me right, $6,000 just for showing up, and then, if they were lucky enough to score in the tournament, that was additional cash winnings. Man, those sure were the days, and I was really thrilled to be a part of it.

I don't care what anybody says. Team McCready appreciated Kevin Trudeau's attempts to make something happen positive in pool. :cool:

Yes, while it was happening, it was a golden age in pool, that's for sure. Luxury, first class venues, food, huge purses, the video screens above the tables, the platforms with all the round robin scores, being surrounded by the best players in the world...it's an experience Mike and I will never forget.

As only one of two married couple to be members, we were blessed. I just wish we had gotten to go to England to play. And of course, that it had stayed afloat. :eek:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

They had ALOT of the right ideas but they had some major errors.

The pros
1) I think they picked the right game, if this sport is EVER going to get huge it will be 8-ball that does it. I cannot believe we have been messing around with rotational pool for decades now completely wasting our time trying to make the sport into something with games that the general public have NEVER taken interest in. They like 8-ball people, the pros have been playing rotational pool since straight pool died and guess what, the general public STILL play 8-ball. That is the game they will watch if they watch any of them. We are wasting time, money, and opportunities with rotational pool. We are wasting entire careers of awesome players by playing a game that keeps the sport in nowhereville.

2) The layout. The presentation of the events was clearly the nuts. Those overhead TV's showing the table, the space between the tables, the dress code, they aimed to make pool look high class and they succeeded.

3) The money. Granted it was unsustainable, but the amount of money the IPT paid out was pretty much right where this sport needs to be in order to properly reward the professional ranks and allow a professional pool player to live a quality life and save for the future and retirement. If the sport were ever to explode in popularity the pros could certainly make more, but I think the IPT went to the level that is almost needed for professional pool to actually be legit as a profession where "pros" are not left coming to AZB to beg for sponsership or end up taking side jobs.

The Cons
1) The table NEEDED to have smaller pockets then they did. I shot on one of the actual IPT tables and the things pockets were WAY too big. I ran afew racks when playing for cash on the thing and I should simply not be able to do that on actual pro level equipment. It makes that video of Bustamente making that out ALOT less impressive knowing what he did it on.

2) The table for 8-ball should be a 10-foot with those above mentioned smaller pockets. The IPT did not really have the opportunity for 10-foots unless they had them custom built, we on the other hand are going to soon have 10-foot tables from Diamond as a reality and the opportunity those tables present to finally have a proper table for 8-ball to be played on should not be missed.

3) The format of the tournament in the IPT was a mess, the round robin scoring was a gong show. They should have followed the rule of KISS and made the tournament a double elimination event with race to 17 matches. The tournaments eventually needed to be seeded as well once enough tournaments were run that proper seeding could have been managed.

4) By far the biggest error the IPT made, they threw all that money, all that time, all that effort into the events and IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO WATCH THEM!!! FFS, I searched freaking everywhere to try and find a stream, a TV channel, anywhere I could watch the events live, it was impossible, I was relegated to looking at the friggin score tickers on the IPT website and reading updates on AZB. That is NOT how you promote pool, who the heck beyond a absolute pool junky is going to bother with what I did? The IPT at the end of the day was entirely invisible and entirely useless when it comes to actually promoting and broadening interest in this sport because noone could watch it and 99.999% of the general public never even knew it existed. Flag football gets more marketing and exposure...