On the road with cash.

dognit26

SHOOT THIS from 14,000 ft
Silver Member
This is all hypothetical.

Lets say you are a player from Canada. You are traveling through the U.S.
and looking for action. You start with 5k and you are crushing. You have made
over 20k and want to keep traveling and gambling.

The questions.

1. Is it illegal to travel with more than 10k in cash without proof
of where you got it?
2. To avoid loosing large while being robbed. Can you purchase
travelers checks? or other?
3. How do you get the money home ?

Please feel free to answer any or all questions. Thanks.

mowermarty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
buy a wal mart prepaid debit card

stop at Walmart and buy a prepaid debit card. add money at any Wal-Mart and spend it anywhere visa is taken. Cops often confiscate large cash amounts and you must prove its legit to get it back. It is not illegal to have cash but the cops looks at piles of cash with the assumption its drug money.

dognit26

SHOOT THIS from 14,000 ft
Silver Member
stop at Walmart and buy a prepaid debit card. add money at any Wal-Mart and spend it anywhere visa is taken. Cops often confiscate large cash amounts and you must prove its legit to get it back. It is not illegal to have cash but the cops looks at piles of cash with the assumption its drug money.

Thanks. Good one.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is definitely not illegal to travel with large sums within the country. If you bank with a large Canadian bank, I'm sure that they have U.S. affiliates that will allow you to deposit money into your Canadian account (When I was in Germany I could use Deustche Bank to process Bank of America transactions).

Otherwise, continually convert your U.S. Dollars to Canadian Dollars and leave your excess money in a hotel safe. Most local cops (and crooks for that matter) don't care about the foreign currency you're carrying (it may as well be monopoly money to most Americans). I doubt that you'd ever run across a cop or a crook that would even know the exchange rate of USD to CAD.

You're biggest issue will be getting back across the border. You are supposed to declare any amount of money more than $10,000 US with customs when you are leaving/entering the country. That's where the biggest hurdle may be.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
right before you head home, just go to a bank and do a wire transfer back into your canadian account. or send a western union money transfer to yourself and pick it up at a western union branch when you get home. the fees aren't too bad, but then again i've never used it to send 20k before. the wire transfer would probably be easier. that or just get a bunch of money orders/cashier's cheques and mail them to yourself.

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
first, if i got that much cash and i'm running around pool rooms and bars; well i would have to have a gun. as don henley so poetically stated "... you got to carry weapons cause you always carry cash ..." or something like that. this should't be a problem since you will be in the usa and you will be visiting some of the best places to buy a throwaway. be sure to toss it in a lake, river, dumpster or wherever before you approach the border. also, be sure to wipe the piece down before you toss it. there is no telling who had the protection before you obtained it so please no fingerprints or DNA. if you do have to use the weapon just be sure to shoot a person of color no older than 18 and i'm pretty sure the authorities will let you go and in some states you might receive a medal or lifetime membership with the NRA. if you are lucky enough to be on CNN then screw pool. just think of all the money you will make on speaking engagements. now that you have the necessary protection then by all means proceed robbing the unsuspecting usa pool world. when you have reached your quota or the trunk of your car can no longer hold any more loot then obtain as many pre-paid cards as needed or open an account or accounts as necessary in banks in the usa. i believe most usa banks will let canadians open accounts as long as they have proper id and such. be sure to not deposit more than $9999 dollars in each account to avoid those pesky banking regulators and the IRS and the DEA. when you get back home (canada) then transfer the loot to an off shore account that doesn't extradite (i personally prefer belieze) and enjoy.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
first, if i got that much cash and i'm running around pool rooms and bars; well i would have to have a gun. as don henley so poetically stated "... you got to carry weapons cause you always carry cash ..." or something like that. this should't be a problem since you will be in the usa and you will be visiting some of the best places to buy a throwaway. be sure to toss it in a lake, river, dumpster or wherever before you approach the border. also, be sure to wipe the piece down before you toss it. there is no telling who had the protection before you obtained it so please no fingerprints or DNA. if you do have to use the weapon just be sure to shoot a person of color no older than 18 and i'm pretty sure the authorities will let you go and in some states you might receive a medal or lifetime membership with the NRA. if you are lucky enough to be on CNN then screw pool. just think of all the money you will make on speaking engagements. now that you have the necessary protection then by all means proceed robbing the unsuspecting usa pool world. when you have reached your quota or the trunk of your car can no longer hold any more loot then obtain as many pre-paid cards as needed or open an account or accounts as necessary in banks in the usa. i believe most usa banks will let canadians open accounts as long as they have proper id and such. be sure to not deposit more than $9999 dollars in each account to avoid those pesky banking regulators and the IRS and the DEA. when you get back home (canada) then transfer the loot to an off shore account that doesn't extradite (i personally prefer belieze) and enjoy.

Were you dropped on your head much as a baby?? I think yes......

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hypothetically, if you overstay your welcome, the IRS could get interested in all that money. :grin:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Thintowin forgot to tell you to stay away from Tennessee. They love taking cash from travelers. It's really gotten ridiculous up there.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do what nick vahlos did when he was on the road......simply go to any bank and get a cashiers check for 5k or what ever amount.....keep it under the 10k and mail it home registered mail.....nick did this for about 5 years when he was on the road.....he never kept more than 1k to 1.5k on him at any time.....thats what i would do... the bank may charge you a small fee of maybe 20-30$ foe it,,,,but it is worth it to him......just a suggestion........mike

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Otherwise, continually convert your U.S. Dollars to Canadian Dollars and leave your excess money in a hotel safe. .

There is no way in hell I would leave any serious amount of money in a hotel safe. After living for a minute in Vegas I have heard way too may horror stories.

Turn it digital somehow if you dont need it for a bankroll.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
right before you head home, just go to a bank and do a wire transfer back into your canadian account. or send a western union money transfer to yourself and pick it up at a western union branch when you get home. the fees aren't too bad, but then again i've never used it to send 20k before. the wire transfer would probably be easier. that or just get a bunch of money orders/cashier's cheques and mail them to yourself.

I'd go with Western Union.

I believe in order to do a wire transfer the money has to be drafted from your account. You can't just hand them the cash, it must be deposited first. Any cash deposit over $5000 gets flagged by the system and noted. They can also tag deposits as suspicious at the discretion of the banker.

Structuring those deposits to stay under 5k a day will also gets noticed by the way.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd go with Western Union.

I believe in order to do a wire transfer the money has to be drafted from your account. You can't just hand them the cash, it must be deposited first. Any cash deposit over $5000 gets flagged by the system and noted. They can also tag deposits as suspicious at the discretion of the banker.

Structuring those deposits to stay under 5k a day will also gets noticed by the way.

It has been several years, but - I have done several wire xfers at several different banks.
They gladly took my cash and charged me a fee.

Dale(the word for today is... several)

Last edited: