One guy uses the magic rack - Everyone else the wooden rack

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Maybe I just get too twisted about nothing.. I'd like your opinions...

I went to a handicapped 9 ball tournament this weekend, fairly small, only about 23 people. All matches in the tournament were played on 7 foot Diamonds, with the wooden rack, except for one guy, (A fairly decent player) who actually brought a magic rack with him to the tournament.

It came down to he and I playing for the hot seat, and right before we play, he mentions that he brought a magic rack, and I immediately say, "Absolutely not, unless I am forced to play with it. I believe the magic rack equalizes play between nonequal players.."

He asks that we allow the tournament director to decide, and of course the director rules that based on "what they do at national tournaments", that he is allowed to use the magic rack, but must allow me to use it if I wish..

I ended up having little to no interest in the match after that, and two-stroked everything, and ended up losing. I tried a bit harder in the loser's bracket, because I was actually looking forward to the double dip attempt, but ended up coming up short in the match for 2nd/3rd, losing hill-hill.

Looking back, the best thing I could have done was to try to beat the guy in the winner's bracket, and let my stick talk for me. I guess it was just really irritating, because I think the guy can't beat me without the magic rack, as he would need to really hit the rack on the break and accept a more random outcome off the break.

Should I have just outright refused to play with the magic rack, as he is the only guy who brought one, and then just accepted the forfeit necessity as a means of concientious objection?

What do you think of the tournament director's decision?

All in all, I feel that I hve exhibited a lot of self control not to post this same post on Facebook, as a ton of people on my friend's list will know who the guy is. I didn't want it to sound like sour grapes, though, and I am looking forward to getting back in stroke enough to where this sort of tactic won't even matter...

Short Bus Russ

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament director is correct. What if jump cues were allowed and he was the only one that brought one, would you complain then ( you wouldn't even have the option to use his)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Hate to tell you this, but the magic rack has nothing to do with you losing....

Maybe I just get too twisted about nothing.. I'd like your opinions...

I went to a handicapped 9 ball tournament this weekend, fairly small, only about 23 people. All matches in the tournament were played on 7 foot Diamonds, with the wooden rack, except for one guy, (A fairly decent player) who actually brought a magic rack with him to the tournament.

It came down to he and I playing for the hot seat, and right before we play, he mentions that he brought a magic rack, and I immediately say, "Absolutely not, unless I am forced to play with it. I believe the magic rack equalizes play between nonequal players.."

He asks that we allow the tournament director to decide, and of course the director rules that based on "what they do at national tournaments", that he is allowed to use the magic rack, but must allow me to use it if I wish..

I ended up having little to no interest in the match after that, and two-stroked everything, and ended up losing. I tried a bit harder in the loser's bracket, because I was actually looking forward to the double dip attempt, but ended up coming up short in the match for 2nd/3rd, losing hill-hill.

Looking back, the best thing I could have done was to try to beat the guy in the winner's bracket, and let my stick talk for me. I guess it was just really irritating, because I think the guy can't beat me without the magic rack, as he would need to really hit the rack on the break and accept a more random outcome off the break.

Should I have just outright refused to play with the magic rack, as he is the only guy who brought one, and then just accepted the forfeit necessity as a means of concientious objection?

What do you think of the tournament director's decision?

All in all, I feel that I hve exhibited a lot of self control not to post this same post on Facebook, as a ton of people on my friend's list will know who the guy is. I didn't want it to sound like sour grapes, though, and I am looking forward to getting back in stroke enough to where this sort of tactic won't even matter...

Short Bus Russ

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A "C" player probably shouldn't be winning any tournaments anyway,, so maybe not the fault of you using his magic rack.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member

Well, you are entitled to your opinion.

I have either won or placed top 3 at the last three regional events I have played in, so I'm moderately comfortable with my mental game right now, which I assume is what you are referencing.

I really play quite a bit better than I let on.

:grin:

Short Bus Russ

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The tournament director is correct. What if jump cues were allowed and he was the only one that brought one, would you complain then ( you wouldn't even have the option to use his)?

Both players have to agree to use the magic rack, if another rack is provided for use. The tournament director did not have any say in allowing the player to use it if both players did not agree to it.

I've played in many tournaments and the rule was always "if you have a magic rack, you can use it if BOTH players agree to it". Since one of them did not want to use it, it should have been put away.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, you are entitled to your opinion.

I have either won or placed top 3 at the last three regional events I have played in, so I'm moderately comfortable with my mental game right now, which I assume is what you are referencing.

I really play quite a bit better than I let on.

:grin:

Short Bus Russ

I dunno, Russ. I think McKane is right: the lack of interest and self-acknowleged lack of effort were the proximate cause of your loss.

Why couldnt you use the same rack? Latex allergy?!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
The OP participated in a handicapped tournament. So, in theory every player irregardless of their skill level would have an equal opportunity to win.

A "C" player probably shouldn't be winning any tournaments anyway,, so maybe not the fault of you using his magic rack.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
If you both used the same rack I don't get the difference. As I understand your post you were free to use the same rack if you wanted to. I understand you aversion to anything new like that, I have the same issue, but if it's an even game with the same rack, same balls, same table, etc... then what's the difference?
Personally I'd much rather use a Delta than a Magic rack (or something similar), but as long as the other guy is using the same rack as me I don't have a problem

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your problem with the magic rack?
If you both use the same rack, there is no advantages either way...
The magic rack ensures that the balls are touching, how is that a bad thing?

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both players have to agree to use the magic rack, if another rack is provided for use. The tournament director did not have any say in allowing the player to use it if both players did not agree to it.

I've played in many tournaments and the rule was always "if you have a magic rack, you can use it if BOTH players agree to it". Since one of them did not want to use it, it should have been put away.

No. They can't tell you that you can't use it. You only have to offer it.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First, in a capped tournament anyone has a chance to win... But Mr. Russ likes to say he is a C player but coming from probably a mid level C player, he would run my ass over. Don't let him fool you. :)

As for the Magic Rack, if you figure out the speed of the table early and you're a decent shooter it turns into a run fest. I play with a Magic Rack from time to time when I'm shooting alone or with friends. The one time I suggested it in league to an older gentleman he said no way and I put it away and haven't tried since and that was with the 8 ball rack. I don't think the 8 ball rack has nearly the same effect on a game as the 9 ball rack does.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. They can't tell you that you can't use it. You only have to offer it.

Every tournament I played in, incluing the Joss tour, both players had to agree to use it, or at least the other player had to agree to let the other guy use it even if he did not want to himself. If there was a rack on the table, and one guy wanted to use the magic rack but the other one did not and did not want to allow him to use it, he could not use it.

Player B would ask "mind if I use the magic rack", if the answer was "I'd rather you didn't" then he could not.

Unless the rack was provided by the tour or the pool hall, you can say no to using an alternate rack by another player. It's not the same thing for say a bridge head or a jump cue, those you can bring, assuming jump cues are allowed.

The magic rack wires up like 3 balls in the thing, if a player knows that and knows how to use it, he is basically bringing his own advantage over the others. It's one of the big reasons they stopped using the magic rack at the Snookers weekly, guys like Dechaine, Shorty and Nelson would run out the set on you.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every tournament I played in, incluing the Joss tour, both players had to agree to use it, or at least the other player had to agree to let the other guy use it even if he did not want to. If there was a rack on the table, and one guy wanted to use the magic rack but the other one did not and did not want to allow him to use it, he could not use it.

Player B would ask "mind if I use the magic rack", if the answer was "I don't want you to" then he could not.

Unless the rack was provided by the tour or the pool hall, you can say no to using an alternate rack by another player.

The magic rack wires up like 3 balls in the thing, if a player knows that and knows how to use it, he is basically bringing his own advantage over the others. It's one of the big reasons they stopped using the magic rack at the Snookers weekly, guys like Dechaine, Shorty and Nelson would run out the set on you.

That's what I was told for leagues and tournaments in South Dakota too. I could use it if the player agreed it was okay and he/she had the option of using it too. If I were to say "No, I don't want you to use it" or he/she would have said they didn't want me to use it I would not be able to use it in that match.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your problem with the magic rack?
If you both use the same rack, there is no advantages either way...
The magic rack ensures that the balls are touching, how is that a bad thing?

I agree with this.

ShortBusRuss

Silver Member
Too much about nothing.

Mebbe.

My thoughts on it are this. The guys runs out good. So do I.

He also does not play all that well post break when he does not get an open shot on the 1 with moderately easy position. He doesn't have a great break without the magic rack. Mine is much better.

Therefore....

By being forced to use the magic rack, my better break is negated, because the wing ball goes 90% of the time. He'll literally get out off the break almost every time.

This also negates any post-break play where decision making is involved.

No offense, but anyone who doesn't see problems with the magic rack negating skill either doesn't play good enough players, or aren't good enough themselves for it to make a difference.. :-D

Short Bus Russ

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
of course he did...

The tournament director is exactly that, the tournament director. What he says goes. Unless he specifically stated the rules were only use the table racks, then he can decide whatever he wants.

Jaden