one piece phenolic break ferrule

cribbeecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wondering if anyone has an idea about how long a phenolic
break ferrule should last a customer? Put one on for a customer a couple of months ago and he has called saying
it has blown apart on him. Could this be the material or
possibly workmanship? Thanx for all input. Cribbeecues

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
break ferrule should last a customer? Put one on for a customer a couple of months ago and he has called saying

It could be either or none of the above. The only problem that I've had with these ferrules came from one customer. He had broken 2 of these ferrules and I was stumped as well. A friend of mine runs the tournament where these ferrules broke and he told me that both times, the ferrule broke on a mis-cue. This guy would throw his whole body into the break. The problem was, he was even money to mishit the rock. He went busted and sold his break cue and the new owner has had zero problems in 2+years.

Flash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ferrule length

in my experience, standard ferrule length with tip dimension on top. I would even think that shorter would be ok... it really just depends on the combination of shaft material and how it is attached to the cue. (material) could have used something witha flaw, but the shooter thinks that its like a hammer.. but guess even hammers break. Don't take fault if the materials is faulty just the installation.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

It may be the way you installed it. When I started using phenolic for jump break ferrules I was making an inch long, then I would bore 5/16 hole 3/4 inch deep and then thread the bored hole and screw the ferrule on the shaft tenon.

In some cases the material did split, now I was uncertain why, but I suspected that boring the hole weakened the material. During this time other ferrules installed by others were brought to me for repair that were done in similar fashion that had also broken.

So I decided to change the manner that I installed these ferrules. After I experimented for around a year I came up with the following method that I will share with you.

Now all of these ferrules I install are installed in the following manner:

1. I bore a 5/16 hole 1 1/2 inch down the shaft

2. Then I take a 2 1/2 inch piece of round stock canvas phenolic material and turn down 1 1/2 to .310 thousands.

3. Then I notch the length of the turned down section of the phenolic material every 1/16 inch the length of this section so that extra glue is held.

4. Then I cut a small slot the length of the turned down section to allow for glue relief to prevent any hydraulic pressure which could crack the shaft.

5. Then I apply a two part epoxy slide the turned down section into the hole bored in the shaft apply pressure and allow the epoxy to dry, and then turn down the exposed section of phenolic to the shaft diameter round the end and I am finished.

Since I started doing this more than two years ago I have not had a failure of the phenolic or had a shaft crack and I have done this hundreds of times.

Hope this helps

seahorse1877

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drill mine with a F bit, tap with a 5/16-18 tap and I have had no problems at all. I am 300+ lbs. and I think I have a fairly hard break and have never broken a phenolic ferrule/tip. Glued them up with Devcon 5 min epoxy.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Manwon,
What's the deflection factor on that bad-boy? Lol.
The only phenolic J/B T/Fs that I've seen that broke were of the flat-lam. mtrl.
I've never seen rolled/molded break but then I haven't seen them all.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Thanks for the comments Guy's if you have never tried it, please do I think you will like the results.

I hope I helped.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
is it the "rolled" canvas phenolic?
like this?
http://www.cuestik.com/store/product.asp?DEPARTMENT_ID=106&ITEM_ID=5790
like kj said, i made one out of the flat stuff once,
and it shattered too

Last edited:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
If it happens once, I'd chalk it up to the material/fluke.

If it happens twice to the same player, check the player.

If it happens twice to two different players, check your methods.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have said, use the rolled stuff like what Brent linked to. I used the flat stuff once because I was out of black rolled and the guy wanted black. He was back within a month. I haven't had a single problem with the rolled.