One Piece Slate Diamonds

smackmac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Diamond Smart Table, 1 piece slate and love it. Believe it or not, a one piece slate can be more difficult to level than a 3 pc. The Smart table play great but the self leveling slate adjustment could use some R&D. The 1 piece my require a few slate screws, but like someone said, if you do it right then you will have a hardly no problems.
 

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
And guess what? Greg is now changing the 9ft Diamond Professional design to give the buyer a choice...just like the choice of what pocket openings you want, shortly you're now going to be able to get that table with the same one piece slate...or 3 piece slate...with the same leveling system under it. What manufacture today, offers so much to those that insist on having the best?

Thanks for sharing your insight. Very interesting! The quote above answers the question I was going to ask. :)
 

realkingcobra

Well-known member
Silver Member
smackmac said:
I have a Diamond Smart Table, 1 piece slate and love it. Believe it or not, a one piece slate can be more difficult to level than a 3 pc. The Smart table play great but the self leveling slate adjustment could use some R&D. The 1 piece my require a few slate screws, but like someone said, if you do it right then you will have a hardly no problems.

I don't know that I would say that the one piece slate is more difficult to level than a 3 piece slate, but I will say that it requires a different pattern of leveling. As far as slate screws in a one piece slate, I don't foresee any situation that would require the use of them. Other than some minor changes, I think Diamond pretty much has the leveling system down pat, what the need to do now is adapt it to their other tables they build. And I don't mean to question you about the "self leveling slate adjustment"...but it seams like I've never ran into one of them tables yet. Hmmm...that system must be on the "self delivering table system" that I haven't seen yet. :eek: :D

Glen
 

realkingcobra

Well-known member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
Thanks for sharing your insight. Very interesting! The quote above answers the question I was going to ask. :)

I knew that....just thought I'd beat ya to it.:D

Glen
 

realkingcobra

Well-known member
Silver Member
Look, if anyone's interested in buying a one piece slate table from Diamond, and don't know which one they should get, be it the 8 or 9ft Diamond Professional or any of the Diamond Pro Am's being the 7, 8, or 9fts because you have questions about having it installed. Give me a call at 702-927-5689 I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have. If you're wanting a table installed in your garage...and you could still park your car in the garage...then definitely get the one piece slate, no need to even ask on that one.

Glen
 

nyjoe14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Well now, here we go with you.

You: "third one piece slat is just not practical for in home use, and furthermore to the overwhelming majority of people who play pool in the world today wouldn’t want a diamond because the pockets play to tight for the recreational player"

Comment: Let me ask you something. Can you name me one billiards manufacturing company that offers a choice of pocket openings when selling someone a pool table? See, you just did it again, stuck your foot in your mouth. Are you even aware that Diamond offers pocket openings for the "recreational players" of the world, as well as pro pocket openings for those who want and like the tight pro pockets? And you know what, they don't have to shim up their pockets to make them tighter, they're MADE that way from the get go when the rails are being built. Hmmmm, I wonder, does the company that makes your pool tables that you sell offer the choice of pocket openings to the buying customer, or is that something you have to fabricate a change to in order to fulfill the customers request? Personally I don't like shimming up pockets to make them play tighter, I do it at the customers request because they're paying for it...but I still don't like doing it because in my opinion the pockets start playing dead.

You: "well first off I can make a statement like that because I have played on both types of tables and it is true"

Comment: I believe my comment was about setting up the one piece slates and your not having done both to compare the two, not about playing on the two types of tables...wasn't it?

You: "second one piece slate was used around the turn of the century"

Comment: Name the manufacture and the model of the table that used a 57" x 107" full size 9ft slate?

You: "and yes I have my sh*it together pal, I’ll sell around 100-150 pool tables this year, and I am one of about 30 salesman. I really don’t think that many other retailers can make a legitimate claim like that"

Comment: Sorry pal, my brothers got you beat by more than 200 tables! And besides that, the number of tables sold does not speak about the quality of the tables being sold...now does it?

"There's a lot more Volkswagens sold in the world than Rolls Royce's, but no matter what you do, you just can't turn that Volkswagen you have into a Rolls Royce just by putting Rolls Royce tires on it!"

And you know what's funny...I don't even work for Diamond...LOL I'm just a humble master billiards technician, that's all...who just happens to have the highest regards for the Diamond built pool tables. My hats off to Diamond for doing what no other billiards manufacturing company today is trying to do..."improve the industry standards, not just selling pool tables"


Glen


Im a believer now! LOL maybe Diamond should put you on the pay role

I said one piece, didn’t specify dimensions

It was 100-150 times 30 sales people

No we don’t change the dimensions of our pockets, we already know what the people who come into our store are looking for. Its called market research. And on the off chance a real pool player came in I would send him to Brunswick
 

nyjoe14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smashmouth said:
nyjoe14.1,

a few questions,

Where in NYC do you sell your tables?

What brand of tables do you sell?


I don’t live in NY any more, I live in norther KY

We mainly sell Peter Vitalie, Beach Manufacturing, and American Heritage. These tables are great for the home owner, but not really tournament quality tables.
 

realkingcobra

Well-known member
Silver Member
nyjoe14.1 said:
Im a believer now! LOL maybe Diamond should put you on the pay role

I said one piece, didn’t specify dimensions

It was 100-150 times 30 sales people

No we don’t change the dimensions of our pockets, we already know what the people who come into our store are looking for. Its called market research. And on the off chance a real pool player came in I would send him to Brunswick

Thank you for the apoligy...LOL

And now for a little sales education.

You:"No we don’t change the dimensions of our pockets, we already know what the people who come into our store are looking for. It's called market research"

Comment: No you don't, you hope you do, that's why you're called a "Salesman" As far as market research goes, the only thing you know for sure is that someone that walks through them doors sooner or later is going to buy one of the tables you have to sell. Every billiards retail store sells pool tables, and they sell every kind of pool table built by every manufacture on earth, that's called sales...right? The only research you know, is that if your store carries a certain line of pool tables, they're going to get sold.

You: "And on the off chance a real pool player came in I would send him to Brunswick"

Comment: The only way you would refer the sale of another kind of pool table to "a real pool player" would be after you've exhausted all your efforts to try and convince "him/her" that your lineup of pool tables was just as good as a Brunswick/Diamond...or what ever. You would downplay these tables first, and if and when that didn't work to get the sale, you'd conceded the fact that they're not in your "market research" lineup of customers, so you'd give up on trying to fulfill their sales requests, and send them down the road, but not before trying to sell them something else they might be interested in buying.

Now here's a free lesson in sales education you can do what ever you want with.

If I were a sales person working at a billiards retail store selling pool tables, and the store I worked at didn't carry a particular line of pool tables that my "market research" customer was looking for, I'd figure out how to still make that sale.

Knowing that if I refer a person to buy a Brunswick table, that's throwing the sale out the door...I don't make a dime...good-by Christmas bonus!

But...knowing that sometimes I'm going to get these no hitters, I'd call up Diamond and talk to Brian and ask him "look Brian, if I refer the sale of a pool table to you, can I still get a commission from that sale? Brian's going to tell you "why certainly son" but I'll do you even one better, go to our website and down load our pricing sheet then you can quote them the prices of any of our tables, then go ahead and quote them what ever deliver and setup charges you normally would, and we'll take care of getting the table to your location so you can fulfill that sale, and after the sales complete, and we get paid, we'll send you your commission check.

The morel of the story is "a real sales person never walks away from making a buck"

Glen...the "Realkingcobra"
 

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:
Thank you for the apoligy...LOL

And now for a little sales education.

You:"No we don’t change the dimensions of our pockets, we already know what the people who come into our store are looking for. It's called market research"

Comment: No you don't, you hope you do, that's why you're called a "Salesman" As far as market research goes, the only thing you know for sure is that someone that walks through them doors sooner or later is going to buy one of the tables you have to sell. Every billiards retail store sells pool tables, and they sell every kind of pool table built by every manufacture on earth, that's called sales...right? The only research you know, is that if your store carries a certain line of pool tables, they're going to get sold.

You: "And on the off chance a real pool player came in I would send him to Brunswick"

Comment: The only way you would refer the sale of another kind of pool table to "a real pool player" would be after you've exhausted all your efforts to try and convince "him/her" that your lineup of pool tables was just as good as a Brunswick/Diamond...or what ever. You would downplay these tables first, and if and when that didn't work to get the sale, you'd conceded the fact that they're not in your "market research" lineup of customers, so you'd give up on trying to fulfill their sales requests, and send them down the road, but not before trying to sell them something else they might be interested in buying.

Now here's a free lesson in sales education you can do what ever you want with.

If I were a sales person working at a billiards retail store selling pool tables, and the store I worked at didn't carry a particular line of pool tables that my "market research" customer was looking for, I'd figure out how to still make that sale.

Knowing that if I refer a person to buy a Brunswick table, that's throwing the sale out the door...I don't make a dime...good-by Christmas bonus!

But...knowing that sometimes I'm going to get these no hitters, I'd call up Diamond and talk to Brian and ask him "look Brian, if I refer the sale of a pool table to you, can I still get a commission from that sale? Brian's going to tell you "why certainly son" but I'll do you even one better, go to our website and down load our pricing sheet then you can quote them the prices of any of our tables, then go ahead and quote them what ever deliver and setup charges you normally would, and we'll take care of getting the table to your location so you can fulfill that sale, and after the sales complete, and we get paid, we'll send you your commission check.

The morel of the story is "a real sales person never walks away from making a buck"

Glen...the "Realkingcobra"

To steal a line from Charlie's Angels, "And that's kicking your ass!" :D

Honestly, I can't see how anyone can argue that Diamond hasn't virtually stolen the "player's market" from Brunswick. Go on virtually any pool forum and ask players what table they are getting, or what table they want, and the overwhelming answer is a Diamond Pro or Pro/Am.

Diamond has chosen to target it's market, and has done well. Brunswick rested on it's laurels for WAY too long. The flat Diamond pocket should have been brought out by Brunswick.

I would go so far to say that if Brunswick had fixed it's pocket design 15 years ago, the company we know as Diamond never would have gotten off the ground. There are other improvements to the Diamond tables, but I would say the pocket design is the biggest.

Russ
 

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Old thread renewed. Good thread. Just ordered a 9'Professional black maple, PRC w/ 1piece. 4.5 corners.
 

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s about Fing time. Good for you. Now I need you to put a coded lock on the pool room door so I don’t disturb you when I come over to play🤣
 

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Snooze ya lose right? Looked at this table Jan 2020... quoted $6500.....
 

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
What if. Let’s say the table gets parted with someday and the 1piece is not desirable. Will a 3 piece slate adapt with no problems. Is the frame work the same for a 1 or 3 piece slate.
 

w0409@aol.com

Registered
Looking for instructions to adjust a already installed Diamond. Have hit Google and U Tube and only found new installation video. I have a slight role out in one corner. How to adjust?


Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
 
Top