one pocket question

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday my opponent shot a ball into his pocket and moved the 7 ball a little with his bridge hand and he asked me what should he do.
I told him to move it back and he couldn't shoot it next.
Was I correct?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I had an opp accidently, (uh-huh) nudge a ball about 1/2 inch while shooting his target ball. He moved it back voluntarily before I could say a word ,and apologized for moving it. I noticed he didn't place it exactly where it originally was, but said nothing. Two shots later, his CB came around for perfect angle back to his corner via 3 rails. I said nothing when he moved the ball, so I let it go knowing I had been taken advantage.
ANYTIME that an idle ball gets inadvertently moved; its an issue.
No rule about them shooting it next.
So,..... I gotta ask.
Did the nudge give him advantage??

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday my opponent shot a ball into his pocket and moved the 7 ball a little with his bridge hand and he asked me what should he do.
Was I correct?
never heard that. its your option to move it but he can shoot it after you make your choice.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was I correct?
Depends on the rules you set up.
The easiest way to look at it is that it is a table foul and loss of turn and a ball.
Table fouls pretty much settle everything.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
from the rules at onepocket.org
technically you are the one to move it back or leave it where it is
he can shoot it if he wants to
i bolded some points for emphasis
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''
6.1.1 Restoring a position: There is no restoration option when any disturbed ball has had an effect upon the shot; in that case the balls must be played from where they lie. Once it is acknowledged that a ball or more was disturbed with no effect on the shot, then the opponent must be given the option to restore the position or leave the balls as they lie before play is resumed. If the opponent elects restoration, it shall be as near as possible to the original positioning according to both players, with the opponent responsible for final approval. It is a foul upon the shooter to restore a ball without permission from the opponent. However, if the shooter was notified, yet resumes play without the opponent’s consent to the final disposition of a disturbed ball, then it is a breach of the restoration
option, and a serious foul on the shooter. ref: 6.6.2 Serious fouls

Cuedup

With everyone having these phone thingies , whenever someone says "that's the rule", a simple request to "show me" seems reasonable.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was I correct?
you were not correct
see post #13 above

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
generally in the pool room you or he just puts it back. never claims to leave it were it is. that gives one player an advantage over a simple mistake that has no penalty.
a good way to lose your customer is to pull that on him. calling rules in a tournament is entirely different than in the pool room.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have opined: the offending player notifies you of the offense -- you get to decide whether the ball stays where it is or gets moved back to a mutually agreed upon prior position -- all balls remain in play.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have opined: the offending player notifies you of the offense -- you get to decide whether the ball stays where it is or gets moved back to a mutually agreed upon prior position -- all balls remain in play.

Lou Figueroa
'opined', nice. you'd get some scrabble points. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had an opp accidently, (uh-huh) nudge a ball about 1/2 inch while shooting his target ball. He moved it back voluntarily before I could say a word ,and apologized for moving it. I noticed he didn't place it exactly where it originally was, but said nothing. Two shots later, his CB came around for perfect angle back to his corner via 3 rails. I said nothing when he moved the ball, so I let it go knowing I had been taken advantage.
ANYTIME that an idle ball gets inadvertently moved; its an issue.
No rule about them shooting it next.
So,..... I gotta ask.
Did the nudge give him advantage??
When he moved the ball back he committed a foul. See #13

Reactions: bbb

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if two balls are moved? Where i play if you move 2(or more) balls its a foul. opponent still has option to put them back just as in moving one. anyone else play this way? curious.