One Pool Shot for ONE MILLION - How Would You Handle the Pressure???

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched a 2005? US Open match between CJ and Earl where Earl played like he had bet on CJ :grin:

Missed a 9 ball that a D player would have made and played position seemingly to try to hook himself.

I think his pressure nerves have dulled a bit.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
NEVER gain weight and try to play pool at a high level.......you will not like it

Just watched a 2005? US Open match between CJ and Earl where Earl played like he had bet on CJ :grin:

Missed a 9 ball that a D player would have made and played position seemingly to try to hook himself.

I think his pressure nerves have dulled a bit.

He was wearing 10 pound leg weighs during that match.

After the match I said "Earl, you know how important footwork is playing pool, why the ankle weights?" I don't think he heard me, however, that was the last time I saw him make that mistake.

It's easy to take footwork for granted until you gain extra weight (like I did) or strap it to your ankles (like Earl did). Getting into the right position relative to the "line of the shot" is vitally important, so learn from Earl and me - NEVER gain weight and try to play pool at a high level.......you will not like the results. "It's better to give {weight} than to receive" 'The Game is the Teacher'

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was wearing 10 pound leg weighs during that match.

After the match I said "Earl, you know how important footwork is playing pool, why the ankle weights?" I don't think he heard me, however, that was the last time I saw him make that mistake.

It's easy to take footwork for granted until you gain extra weight (like I did) or strap it to your ankles (like Earl did). Getting into the right position relative to the "line of the shot" is vitally important, so learn from Earl and me - NEVER gain weight and try to play pool at a high level.......you will not like the results. "It's better to give {weight} than to receive" 'The Game is the Teacher'

I think that was one of the matches I sent you on DVD from my collection. Did not notice the weights on his legs, but he was looking like he just wanted to get the loss over with even when he had an easy run out. It did not look like much of the issue was his mechanics, more like the mechanics issue was caused by him not caring if he won or lost and was looking for a way to lose so he could feel bad about himself.

Can't wait for this 11 rack video, or whatever is saved from that run. There are a few Earl videos I really like watching, the HK Challenge, the 10 foot game between him and SVB and I'm thinking this one will be also. Although from reports, quite a few of these 11 racks were early 9s on the break or combos.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
1 in 6.5+-million attempts, does that sound a little high? Maybe I'm just jaded.
Certainly that's what it'd take ME to pull it off... or maybe more.
But Earl? Wonder how they came up with that?

I see the stats like this:

Ideal easy conditions (big pockets, magic rack, pattern rack, soft break from anywhere, 8 footer, etc.):
Make a ball 100% from the break, run out 80% from after the break.
.8 ^ 10 = 10.7% ...this would be SVB on a bucket gandy 8 footer.

More realistic tournament conditions (diamond procut, make a ball 90% breaking from the box
or using a triangle, run out 65% from the break IF the 1 ball cooperates):
(.9 ^ 10) * (.65 ^ 10) = 0.47%, which sounds pretty low but is still only like 200, 250 attempts.

Back-in-the-day conditions (inconsistent rack, 60% ball on the break, 60% runouts...
based on some old accustats magazines):
.0037% ... a tiny percentage sure, but still "only" 1 in ~27,000 tries.

To get 1 in 6.5 million... maybe the PHD just had a soft spot for pro pool players?
Or maybe there's something I'm missing... 10 packs are rare enough we still
only have the one on tape.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
He broke very hard and did NOT make the corner ball every time

1 in 6.5+-million attempts, does that sound a little high? Maybe I'm just jaded.
Certainly that's what it'd take ME to pull it off... or maybe more.
But Earl? Wonder how they came up with that?

I see the stats like this:

Ideal easy conditions (big pockets, magic rack, pattern rack, soft break from anywhere, 8 footer, etc.):
Make a ball 100% from the break, run out 80% from after the break.
.8 ^ 10 = 10.7% ...this would be SVB on a bucket gandy 8 footer.

More realistic tournament conditions (diamond procut, make a ball 90% breaking from the box
or using a triangle, run out 65% from the break IF the 1 ball cooperates):
(.9 ^ 10) * (.65 ^ 10) = 0.47%, which sounds pretty low but is still only like 200, 250 attempts.

Back-in-the-day conditions (inconsistent rack, 60% ball on the break, 60% runouts...
based on some old accustats magazines):
.0037% ... a tiny percentage sure, but still "only" 1 in ~27,000 tries.

To get 1 in 6.5 million... maybe the PHD just had a soft spot for pro pool players?
Or maybe there's something I'm missing... 10 packs are rare enough we still
only have the one on tape.

Yes, in those days there was no "magical rack" and the cloth was slower so a ball on the break wasn't guaranteed. Earl said he had only completed 10 racks once before and I would agree that he's played millions of games in his life. He broke very hard and did NOT make the corner ball every time - there were a few combos/9's on the break.

The Professor specializing in statistics was used from SMU (Southern Methodist University) here in Dallas. This is the only time 11 racks have been run in a professional tournament and the equipment was triple shimmed Black Crowns with Championship Tour Edition Cloth (his cue wasn't fancy with a wholesale value of $17 ;)).

I believe this was meant to be and after watching the documentary I'm convinced many will agree. SO many things had to go right for this to happen and the strangest thing was Earl's wife had a vivid dream that Earl was going to do it THE NIGHT before it happened! This is just one of a chain of events that happened leading up to the event.

'The Game is the Teacher'

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd known Earl for some time before this happened--hell ,,usta run into him back when running the roads back when--Bunky from Myrtle Beach made me pull up once when he saw me getting down and playing him on a bar table down there--I was happy that he had pulled this off and thought that the money would set him free to play and even be bigger in the years to come--having that kind of dough back then would give a comfortable life for the rest of his days if managed well--then I started to hear stories and all--still don't know all of it--I played golf with him not long ago and we road together--I didn't bring it up,neither did he,,but we talked alot about the people we knew back when and the freinds from the road who aren't with us now--great shot and great shooting got him there and if the money was paid complete or not--he did the deal and brought it down,,in the end thats what probably really matters,,ya can't take the money with ya when ya go,,but they can't take away what HE DONE.:eek:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
- NEVER gain weight and try to play pool at a high level.......you will not like the results.The Game is the Teacher'

Imagine if Miz was 180-220(he was big framed), or if Swanee was 200, how good would they have played???

I play better at 225 than I do at 248(current weight-too high),

Pool isnt a fat mans sport, fat men just play it. I aint knocking heavy people, hell i'm "Fatboy" for a reason, when that name was pinned on me I was fat, zero muscle and a huge gut.

It aint easy to stay skinny for lots of us in America these days, the shit they put in the food makes it a losing battle, I struggle to keep my weight where its at.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember shortly after it happened I thought to myself this is one of the worse things that could happen to men's pool at the time. The million dollar challenge on your tour would have kept pool interesting to the public and players. But Earl running the racks at the beginning of the tour killed what could have become the best tour ever for men's pool.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
some of the worst things that ever happened ended up being the best

I remember shortly after it happened I thought to myself this is one of the worse things that could happen to men's pool at the time. The million dollar challenge on your tour would have kept pool interesting to the public and players. But Earl running the racks at the beginning of the tour killed what could have become the best tour ever for men's pool.

Yes, I told a friend of mine tonight "it was the worst thing and the best thing for pool happening at the same time".....although it may still prove to be the best thing in the end....no one knows how "end results" flows.

I look back at my life and some of the worst things that ever happened ended up being the best, it's funny how that happens. "Life is the Teacher'

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How bad would it have sucked to have not made a ball on the 11th rack, after running the required 10 but failing to let an impartial racker rack the 6th game?

Not to mention that needing to run another rack adds a ton of pressure after knowing that you could have already won if not for a silly mistake. Wow, it would be a challenge to stay in the present moment throughout that final rack.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
THE Key that will unlock a door for Professional Pool???

How bad would it have sucked to have not made a ball on the 11th rack, after running the required 10 but failing to let an impartial racker rack the 6th game?

Not to mention that needing to run another rack adds a ton of pressure after knowing that you could have already won if not for a silly mistake. Wow, it would be a challenge to stay in the present moment throughout that final rack.

Earl running that 11th rack (because he had to to win) verifies in my mind that there was nothing (human) that could have stopped Earl from achieving this incredible feat. The Dream that his wife had the night before and Earl looking at her on the car ride to Dallas saying "I'm going to do this, I"m going to win the MILLION DOLLARS!!!"

The question is "do you believe in fate?" Was Earl's win "meant to be," as all the signs suggest "a celestial force guiding the course".....so to speak? ;)

We were about ready to put the last three weeks "finishing touches" on the Documentary when I was mysteriously picked for Captain of the USA Mosconi Cup Team. This is something I would have NEVER expected and, as a result decided to put the Documentary on the shelf to concentrate on that week in London with "Team USA". And now SKY SPORTS (England's ESPN) is doing a documentary leading up to this year's Mosconi Cup too??? Are these just coincidences or are they leading to something big.....something that none us could have planned........hmmmm

Now, two days ago I announced to the world that we would finish the "Million Dollar Documentary" I already see things developing to try to "sidetrack" me from completing the project. I expect the unexpected right now, but I won't deviate from the path this time.....not for a moment....no matter the temptation thrown across the path.

Why is this "force" trying to stop the completion, or is it "another force"?

Is it because the "Million Dollar Documentary" is the Key that will unlock a door for Professional Pool???

Will the right people see this documentary and decide to make the EARL STRICKLAND MOVIE that will rival 'The Color of Money'???

Only time will tell as the {Million Dollar Challenge} plot thickens - The Game is the Teacher'

Bowmer

"Shooter"
Silver Member
That 9 would have been in the hole so fast there would be no picture to look at......... would have been the racks leading up to this shot that likely would have worn me down..

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl's a rare breed, take if from someone that made an impression beating the breeds

That 9 would have been in the hole so fast there would be no picture to look at......... would have been the racks leading up to this shot that likely would have worn me down..

That was the beauty of the Million Dollar Challenge is the pressure would get more intense EVERY rack. Most players would break down on 5 or 6, but not Earl, he's one of the few that got more and more intense and the pressure mounted.

Earl's a rare breed, take if from someone that made an impression beating the "breeds"...he's a formidable opponent for anyone at anytime. Day in and day out Earl's probably the most explosive, and toughest competitor that the sport/game has ever produced.