Opinions on JOSS cues

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve got an old Joss West from the 60’s that I bought on a whim and I love the hit. All my friends in college had production Joss cues amd I liked the way they hit so I had to by this one. Glad I did.
I think there is a big difference between a custom Joss West and a production Joss East.
You got the better cue.
And theres nothing wrong with a Joss East.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got my custom Joss cue last week. Sweetest piece of wood I've ever hit balls with, and I've owned custom cues by people with "names" in the industry. $750 for a cue that would have costed thousands from a "custom" cuemaker.

My feeling on custom cuemakers is this. If you were going to have laser eye surgery done, would you go with the guy that performs thousands of flawless operations per year, or the guy that does 100? If Joss is able to pump out that many cues without flaws, maybe they build a cue worthy of recognition? Just my $0.02............

You cannot go wrong with a Joss.
Dan Janes made me a cue about 4 years ago.
Love it.
Old school look.
Gave Dan a measure of creativity in the make.
He is a pleasure to work with.
He over delivers.
Had him make me a 5 pointer, a little different.
Points are razor sharp.

8BALL EDDIE

I have always wanted a Joss Color of Money Cue , the design is timeless and if it is good enough for Fast Eddie Felson then it is good enough for me
The Color of Money cue from Joss Cues is a good one. Classic design, traditional firm/solid hit. I enjoyed the way it shot. 👍

Reactions: Fay

djoverboard

Registered
I am currently using a Joss custom as my playing cue. I bought it at Turning Stone last January. Took me a little while to adjust to he hit/feel. It has stainless steel collar and pin into wood. No brass insert in the shaft. This creates a softer feedback but still relatively stiff hit in my opinion. I bought an extra shaft one 13mm one 12.5mm. it's in my profile pic not sure you can blow that up or see it. solid playing cues. When I first stopped in to my pool hall when it reopened I unexpectedly had to shoot a 14.1 league match the owner gave a joss with the brass insert he had taken in trade, and I loved it too it just has a different feedback when striking the cue ball. I almost bought it I still might.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have about 30 or so production cues (6 Mezz, 2 Schon, 3 McDermott, 4 Meucci, 3 Viking, 2 Predator, Schmelke, Pechauer, 2 Lucasi, a few Players/PureX, etc)...and although Mezz is my favorite brand overall, my lonely Joss 44 with traditional maple shaft is one of my all-time favorites to use and one of the cleanest designs in my opinion.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, like many here I have moved on from my Joss as the every day shooter...twice. But, I never leave home without it.

Went to LD Cuetec R360 (now my breaker), then to CF Becue. Had to get a 4x8 so my 95-u could come along.

Fay

I don't think Tom Cruise really cared what cue he was using.

THIS IS TRUE
THE FILM WAS NOT ONLY A SEQUEL TO THE GREAT CLASSIC

THE HUSTLER
BUT WAS ALSO BASICALLY ABOUT MIKE SIGEL
THE LEFT-HANDED 9-BALLER
WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER BREAK
SHOWN THE ROPES OF HUSTLING BY A VETERAN PLAYER/HUSTLER

MIKE SIGEL WAS THE POOL COORDINATOR/SHOT COACH
FOR THE FILM LIKE
WILLIE MOSCONI WAS FOR
THE HUSTLER
SIGEL
EVEN DID A FEW OF THE SHOTS THAT LOOKED
TOM CRUISE SHOT THEM

AT THE TIME

MIKE SIGEL WAS SPONSORED BY/PLAYING WITH
JOSS CUES
HENCE WHY THEY LANDED THE CONTRACT FOR
PRODUCING THE CUES FOR THE FILM

Slick53

Registered
I still have one I got in College in Lubbock in mid 80’s and have picked up 3 more over the years. All stay straight and play great!!

Nikrnic

I bought my one and only new Joss in the mid eighties. I believe it was a Joss19. I remember it had purple veneers and played well, then sold it and moved on with many Schons after opening a pool room and then had many others including a SW which was just too heavy. Now just playing casually in local tournaments (no more pool room or home table) I'm looking to add another cue to my sneaky pete and McDermott break cue and after looking at many Schons I'm thinking of just going back to another Joss model that keeps catching my eye. Their good looking cues at half the price of Schon. I'll most likely have the shaft turned down to down to 12 1/2 and add a softer layered tip.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved my Joss sneaky (quickly got used to the tip size larger than my other cue), that is until my wife smashed it against the wall during an argument. .....Did I mention we are not married anymore :)

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ordered my Joss in 94. Combined the forearm from one model and the butt from another and perhaps I have a one of a kind because of that. Love that cue.
Paul

brian v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always wanted a Joss Color of Money Cue , the design is timeless and if it is good enough for Fast Eddie Felson then it is good enough for me

Here it is ...
20121102_141552.jpg

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Absolutely the best hitting production cue out there.
Unless you want to call Coker a production cue.
They're really nice hitters, also.
Coker is not a production cue..I have visited Tom Coker inside his shop for over 20 years now and he and he alone, wife helps sometimes, builds all his cues from scratch....Does own inlays, wraps, you name it....I had Coker make me a cue just this Jan, 2020 to take to Vegas...It was hand crafted by him....Excellent work and great hitting cue...

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coker is not a production cue..I have visited Tom Coker inside his shop for over 20 years now and he and he alone, wife helps sometimes, builds all his cues from scratch....Does own inlays, wraps, you name it....I had Coker make me a cue just this Jan, 2020 to take to Vegas...It was hand crafted by him....Excellent work and great hitting cue...
I have a nice Coker.
I said a lot of strange things 13 years ago. ;)