Opinions on Tascarellas

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Mike makes a great cue, and from a design standpoint somewhat similar to Tascarellas. my experience with Lambros is that they are super solid but lack the finesse of a Tascarella. As of today my Top 5 would be:

Tascarella
Judd Fuller (5/16x18)
Olney
Lambros
Dominiak

Other than Tascarella that could change tomorrow though. I have an Alan Phelps, Ryan Meyers, and a very experimental Treadway coming. I doubt any will replace the Tasc though. I love it so much.
Judd used 5/16 14.
Never saw one with an 18 threads.
Later on, he switched to 3/8 10.

I had like 5 Judds. Still regret to this day I sold my ebony and sneaky pete.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Is it okay if I just keep on playing with my '07 Keith Josey?

I'm not really into collecting, just wanted a good quality playing cue.

Last edited:

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
You guys that enjoy the old school cues, why no love for Jensen? He was a contemporary with many of the other big guns of the 70s-90s. And he's still building. I've heard in the south there's no finer steel jointed cue.

Josh

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Judd used 5/16 14.

Sorry, thought you were talking about 18 thread on Tascarella cues which I've seen.
As far as Judd is concerned many were 14 thread flat face, but i've never seen Judd use 18 thread going back to 1993, and I've owned about every vintage.

Last edited:

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Catch

You fellas picking the best cue/makers have left out one of the best, prolly cause the spellin' is so hard I'll help y'all out, pay close attention ~ RICK HOWARD

You are right on this to this day it was one of the best playing cues I ever owned.

rivercitysledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pete sr...

may cut this tulip/ivory loose if anyone needs it msg me

Attachments

• t1-min.jpg
    t1-min.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 266
  • t4-min.jpg
    t4-min.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 256

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd used 5/16 14.

Hi Joey

Pretty sure that is incorrect. Two of my Judds which I liked had the 5/16x18 and one with the 3/8x10. I find the 3/8x10 Judds were significantly worse hitting than the 5/16x18 IMO. Seyberts seems to agree with me

https://www.seyberts.com/pins

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Tascarella is top drawer all the way imo. Great guy to do business with and makes one of the best hitting cues I've ever owned. Yes, the hit and feel of his cues reminds me of the Bushka's I owned and played with.

Strictly for playability I have never found a TAD I didn't like. I prefer the older Gina's and JW cues as well. Some of the other guys mentioned here I haven't had the pleasure to own one of their cues, so I can't comment one way or the other. I do have a titlist blank cue (maker unknown) with two Dennis Searing shafts and they make it a great playing cue.

Other cues I own that deserve mention are a Ted Harris (Warren Kiamco is currently playing with it) and a Ned Morris cue he made for me a long time ago. Evaluating cues for playability is a funny game because there is so much variance from one to another. You might pick up a Meucci, McDermott, Viking, a Heubler or ? that feels real good in your hands. That being the case, then it's the right cue for you. There are some "name" brand cues that just never felt good to me, so I don't own any of them.

You mentioned my other 2 cues I like playing with, Ted Harris(every day player for years) and Tad, which I could switch to any time.
Jason

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Sr. and Jr. build some great cues.

JV

Attachments

• fore_2.jpg
    fore_2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 205
  • fore_1.jpg
    fore_1.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 199
  • butt_2.jpg
    butt_2.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 209

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
Before I bought the Tascarella, I played with a bunch of them and like 4 SW cues.

What I discovered is that SW is like the polar opposite of a Tascarella in almost every way:

Tasc -Soft SW- Very hard
Tasc -Medium stiff SW- super stiff
Tasc -crisp sound SW -more of a thud (not right word)
Tasc -traditional styling SW -Southwest look

They are just very very different. I think if Tasc is top 5, SW is less likely to be in your Top 5 because they are so different.

I personally hate SW cues.

I dont think Tascarellas are soft to medium hitting cues, they hit pretty stiff with lots of power. The ping is nicer also as you say.

6 years into cues and I am still learning, I have built my own criteria for cues and I believe I can tell a great cue when I try one, not yet have my own SW though so it is still a myth to me.

You fellas picking the best cue/makers have left out one of the best, prolly cause the spellin' is so hard I'll help y'all out, pay close attention ~ RICK HOWARD

You hit the nail squarely on the head, I have had 2 Rick Howards and both helped me played better instantly, I sold one and keep one now which will not be for sale ever.

another cue that give me total feel about cue ball reaction is my Ebony Joey cue.

Nope.. I had a Southwest.. I'm so used to steel joint cues, just could not get used to the SW hit, so recently sold it to fund some other cue(s).
Not saying SW's aren't great cues.. just not my thing.

I really need a lot of research and dividing opinions, but SW's are SW's, I have seen 2 SW's with exact wood combo from forearm to points, same weight same wrap, and they hit so different that I cant believe it.

still... it's a quest for the right cue

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I'll also add that not only are they great cues, the Petes are terrific businessmen. When I ordered my Tasc, they answered every question I had, quoted me a timeline for delivery (which was way, way shorter than what I thought) and actually stuck to that timeline. They actually delivered on it early.

So not only is Tascarella a great cue, you can actually get a cue from them without it being a major stress and having to constantly follow up/listen to excuses.

Cross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
currently, my main players are a Tasc and SW. I like the higher feedback i get from the Tasc and the balance as well. I prefer my Tasc over my SW but I seem to win more with my SW lol