Original Bushka or Gus cue?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you had the opportunity to choose first on a great deal between a Buska or a Gus with all things being more or less equal cue wise. Knowing the remaining cue was already spoken for, which one would you be more likely to grab? All things being more or less even, Personally I would most likely take the Bushka.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends- if it were an early Bushka that was simply a titilist conversion; I would be more leaning to a Szamboti. However, it it were a later GB, with perhaps a Spain forearm and some nice pearl inlays and other work by George, then I would lean into the GB a bit more.

There are a lot of Palmer cues that sport a Szamboti front end, and some nice third catalog Palmers, like the model 12, actually look like they came from Gus himself, and they play like a Gus as well- it is a very economical way to appreciate Gus's work and spend perhaps $600 to $1200 as opposed to forking over $6000+

Either way, if you are into lighter cues for playability- say 18.5 ounces - you won't find that in many of either Gus' or GB original cues- many of them were 20 ounces and heavier, with shafts somewhere between 13 and 13,5 being common.

I sold my Gus Palmer simply because it was just too heavy to play and I don't like closet queens - but it was a great example of Gus' point work and the density of his BEM choice wood for the forearm - hard to find wood like that anymore for cues or baseball bats:(:(

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you had the opportunity to choose first on a great deal between a Buska or a Gus with all things being more or less equal cue wise. Knowing the remaining cue was already spoken for, which one would you be more likely to grab? All things being more or less even, Personally I would most likely take the Bushka.
I suppose if you had one of the two makers’ cues already, the answer might skew one direction.

“If all things were equal” - does that mean the Balabushka has a Gus blank?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suppose if you had one of the two makers’ cues already, the answer might skew one direction.

“If all things were equal” - does that mean the Balabushka has a Gus blank?
It certainly could. Would that influence you one way or another in that case? Best of both worlds for some I suppose.

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If in fact the bushka has a Gus forearm that makes this a very difficult decision imo as it would be one of George's later cues. Is the Szamboti a late or early cue?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If in fact the bushka has a Gus forearm that makes this a very difficult decision imo as it would be one of George's later cues. Is the Szamboti a late or early cue?
For arguments sake, whatever would make them each desirable to you personally so the decision would be more about choosing between the two most legendary cue makers in history leaving the other on the table.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balabushka will bring a higher resale if you're just looking at money but the Szamboti will play better and have a nicer style

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Since I already have 10 Szam's and only 9 of George's cues I'd pick the Bushka so I could even thing's out.
What's today.....that's right April 1st

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It certainly could. Would that influence you one way or another in that case? Best of both worlds for some I suppose.
If I didn't already have a Balabushka, I would go for the Balabushka.

But, here are the real choices for answers from AZBilliards:

a) Balabushka
b) Szamboti
c) It's not the arrow; it's the the archer
d) Buy a Balabushka Signature Cue and use the rest for lessons
e) It depends on what CF shaft you're putting on it
f) I don't know what these are. Are we ordering pizza or dessert???

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have a bushka that I bought from the original owner who grew up in Brooklyn. Got all the paperwork from Tascarella and a letter of provenance from original owner. Would rather play with a $150 stick. Not saying that it plays bad but don't care for the specs on it. Butt is too fat and cue is too short. Just keeping for the value I suppose.