Original Old French Champion Tips

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just installed one on a cue I seldom play with, just out of curiosity to see how the tip played. I didn't expect very much. After all, it's 40 years old. Many years ago it was the tip of choice to a lot of players. The French makers discontinued making it a long time ago and after a while Chendavert started making a tip they called Champion. It wasn't the same as the originals and not as popular.

I was extremely pleasantly surprised when I started hitting with it. It plays like no other tip. No doubt, the best tip I have ever used. It had it all... feel and sound. These tips are rare and usually expensive when you can find them but worth every penny you have to pay. If you ever get a chance to use one of the originals, you will be glad you did.

Last edited:

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
I have a Champion sitting in my case right now, along with a spare shaft with a loose ferrule. I might have to give it a try. Thanks for the info!

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just installed one on a cue I seldom play with, just out of curiosity to see how the tip played. I didn't expect very much. After all, it's 40 years old. Many years ago it was the tip of choice to a lot of players. The French makers discontinued making it a long time ago and after a while Chendavert started making a tip they called Champion. It wasn't the same as the originals and not as popular.

I was extremely pleasantly surprised when I started hitting with it. It plays like no other tip. No doubt, the best tip I have ever used. It had it all... feel and sound. These tips are rare and usually expensive when you can find them but worth every penny you have to pay. If you ever get a chance to use one of the originals, you will be glad you did.

I just couldn't agree more:)

Dale

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I used to love the original Champions with the red backing. Problem was they were inconsistent: you'd open up a box and you had to go through and pick out the good ones -- a lost art, no doubt. Later on they had a problem with the backing separating so most players would just slice the backing right off. But still a truly great tip.

Lou Figueroa

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to love the original Champions with the red backing. Problem was they were inconsistent: you'd open up a box and you had to go through and pick out the good ones -- a lost art, no doubt. Later on they had a problem with the backing separating so most players would just slice the backing right off. But still a truly great tip.

Lou Figueroa

I hear you:)

I sort of gravitated to the procedure of glueing the tip, pad and all,
onto the shaft - then slicing the tip off with a single edge razor blade
and re-glueing the tip back on.

Haven't had a problem for the past 20-ish years.

Dale

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear you:)

I sort of gravitated to the procedure of glueing the tip, pad and all,
onto the shaft - then slicing the tip off with a single edge razor blade
and re-glueing the tip back on.

Haven't had a problem for the past 20-ish years.

Dale

Yes, I did something similar, Dale -- I'd just slice off the old tip and leave on the pad on the cue, sand that down a bit and glue the new tip on sans new pad.

Used to love them tips.

Lou Figueroa

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a small plastic bag of them several years ago in some stuff from a cuemaker that retired and I put most of them on house cues at my homeroom, guess I better save the few I have left.--LOL--Leonard

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stumble on a box old French Champion tips...PM me if anyone is looking for them. They are 15.00 each.

Last edited:

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the early 90's, Vernon Elliot gave me a couple, I had Jr.( weldon Rogers) put them on for me. Jr said it was the only tip he played with, and thought they were all Vernon used also,that was good enough for me to try them. They were great tips, but they got to be very hard to find, then layered tips arrived.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 70's --they were the only thing I would use--never liked the Lapro tips--in later years they became inconsistent---during those years I worked for a living and started a family--The super soft K tips are damn good in my book though

scruffy1

Silver Member
I found about 8 boxes, mostly 13mm but a couple boxes of 14mm. Whats the shelf life on these things? I remember they were very good playing tips.

Attachments

• tips4 001.JPG
    tips4 001.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,276

Terryz

I found about 8 boxes, mostly 13mm but a couple boxes of 14mm. Whats the shelf life on these things? I remember they were very good playing tips.
Greetings, I know this is an old thread, but; I'm hoping you see this and have some of those tips left. The 13mm ones.
Been away for the game about 30 years and these tips are the best in my opinion.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greetings, I know this is an old thread, but; I'm hoping you see this and have some of those tips left. The 13mm ones.
Been away for the game about 30 years and these tips are the best in my opinion.
I have some available for sales so PM me if you get this