Palmer cue question?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The modern clear coat really makes the cue "pop" more than the original (varnish?) finish.

You did well. :)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The modern clear coat really makes the cue "pop" more than the original (varnish?) finish.

Palmer used an epoxy finish on some cues- at least in their third catalog cues- it tends to yellow over time and sometimes it cracks/crazes. Those Palmers don't look so good if the old finish cracks- but I have a third catalog Palmer with that epoxy finish that just turned yellow and did not crack at all except slightly on the buttcap. I would probably refinish an epoxy cue that cracked, but for mine that just yellowed, it sort of gives the cue some patina- some character, and I decided to leave it alone .

Palmer's Model M with the winding veneers were all veneered by Gene Balner himself - only he could do it- Mike's refinish really shows off Gene's work so well!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you.
It was by far my most challenging restoration to date. Took way to long and took a lot out of me. But what I learned and what was accomplished is Priceless to me.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_20180320_085012.jpg
    IMG_20180320_085012.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 90

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Wow! Just from the one pic, I can tell you pit a TON of work into that restoration.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Palmer's Model M with the winding veneers were all veneered by Gene Balner himself - only he could do it- Mike's refinish really shows off Gene's work so well!
Little known fact...Ina Balner (Gene's wife) did much of the inlay work on Palmer cues.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Jay, do you have a website other than facebook? I'm an old curmudgeon who has so far resisted the Zuckenberg (sp?) anal exam.

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you.
It was by far my most challenging restoration to date. Took way to long and took a lot out of me. But what I learned and what was accomplished is Priceless to me.
Hey Mike, Do you know a safe way to restore the finish of the nickel joint? That's the only blemish on my Palmer and can be seen on one of the pictures I posted. Thanks for any tips you or anyone could provide me.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Mike, Do you know a safe way to restore the finish of the nickel joint? That's the only blemish on my Palmer and can be seen on one of the pictures I posted. Thanks for any tips you or anyone could provide me.
For hand rubbing, I've always liked Simichrome metal polish. For more aggressive needs, I use a dremil with a soft attachment and white rouge. I use it on everything from stainless joints to joint screws.

Attachments

• IMG_171020_090139.jpg
    IMG_171020_090139.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_171120_230516_resized-1.jpg
    IMG_171120_230516_resized-1.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 79

67GT500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For hand rubbing, I've always liked Simichrome metal polish. For more aggressive needs, I use a dremil with a soft attachment and white rouge. I use it on everything from stainless joints to joint screws.
Thanks Mike, I was afraid to try anything for fear I might make things worse. I'll start with the least aggressive approach with the simichrome first and work from there.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mike, I was afraid to try anything for fear I might make things worse. I'll start with the least aggressive approach with the simichrome first and work from there.
If you do have to get more aggressive with it, Be careful not to over heat the joint in case your spinning it. It doesn't take much to break down that old glue holding it on.
Good luck.