Pattern Play

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a break shot would two pro players see the same pattern to get out, or would they each see a pattern based on their known limitations?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone has their own preferences and strengths. I'd bet they would play the balls in the same holes, but their patterns would vary slightly in terms on number of rails used to get to the next ball.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
After a break shot would two pro players see the same pattern to get out, or would they each see a pattern based on their known limitations?
Depends on the game, IMO. In 9 ball/10 ball, it won't be identical from player to player, but on a runnable layout it's gonna look pretty similiar.

In 14.1 & 8 ball it will vary quite a bit.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Except for the top few pattern players, the patterns will vary from player to player. The differences in pattern play are one of the biggest differences between the very best and the rest. Even at pro level, there are many who are inadequate pattern players. Among the top few, however, the patterns will be similar, but there are many positions in which more than one cue ball path offers a technically sound means of gaining the next position, and in these cases, players will play to their own personal strengths and preferences.

In my opinion, the biggest reason that the few men who've won major 9ball championships into their 50s is their pattern play. Obvious examples include Buddy Hall, Ralf Souquet, Jim Rempe, and Jose Parica, four of the best pattern players our sport has ever seen.

Any suggestion that the pros all play the patterns well does not hold up to scrutiny.

shooter_Hans

Different but not that different.

If the commentators know then I am assuming all players know. Or else these commentators would be idiots to call shots before the player takes a shot.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
I watched a video of Earl commentating on a match that he was playing in.....In most cases he remembered....but in more than a few cases he said could not remember what he did and gave multiple options.....Even when he remembered what he did he gave multiple options.

Then of course there is Efren that does stuff that nobody sees until after he shoots it.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
It seems I remember Billy Incardona and Danny Dilaberto commenting 8 ball. Rarely would Earl go the way they predicted. He ran out just the same. 🤷‍♂️

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even at the pro level, some of them may prefer inside over outside, draw over follow, etc., so there would be some differences in the way they choose to run out any given rack.

Reactions: sjm

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Except for the top few pattern players, the patterns will vary from player to player. The differences in pattern play are one of the biggest differences between the very best and the rest. Even at pro level, there are many who are inadequate pattern players. Among the top few, however, the patterns will be similar, but there are many positions in which more than one cue ball path offers a technically sound means of gaining the next position, and in these cases, players will play to their own personal strengths and preferences.

In my opinion, the biggest reason that the few men who've won major 9ball championships into their 50s is their pattern play. Obvious examples include Buddy Hall, Ralf Souquet, Jim Rempe, and Jose Parica, four of the best pattern players our sport has ever seen.

Any suggestion that the pros all play the patterns well does not hold up to scrutiny.
Like and agree

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Depends on the game, IMO. In 9 ball/10 ball, it won't be identical from player to player, but on a runnable layout it's gonna look pretty similiar.

In 14.1 & 8 ball it will vary quite a bit.
Agree ,I think 14.1 very few will agree on the pattern especially if there are more balls on the table IMHO

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive seen a couple guys play pool over the years and noticed I tend to favor flatter angles than what I see pros choose.

Worked well on the gold crown.