pattern racking

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anybody ever pattern racked and broke and kept track of where the balls go...to see how well you can control the balls on the break. I would be interested in looking at the statistical outcome of it if someone has done it. I know there are a lot of variables to control when breaking,but i was wondering if you would have similar table layouts if you controlled as many of the variables as you could. I know some players hate the idea of pattern racking and may consider it as cheating a little,but now that racking your own is such a big thing,i am sure that the better players are doing it if their opponents dont mind it,or feel like it has any significance...just curious...I am getting ready to try and plot where they end up for a 100 racks or so, each tables has approximately 32 segments if you connect the diamonds so i am going to keep track for 100 racks and see how many times a particular ball ends up in a certain segment,breaking from the same spot,hopefully a close speed and with a magic rack...hopefully i will learn something...if not that it doesnt make any difference,or too hard to control...wish me luck

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Has anybody ever pattern racked and broke and kept track of where the balls go...to see how well you can control the balls on the break. I would be interested in looking at the statistical outcome of it if someone has done it. I know there are a lot of variables to control when breaking,but i was wondering if you would have similar table layouts if you controlled as many of the variables as you could. I know some players hate the idea of pattern racking and may consider it as cheating a little,but now that racking your own is such a big thing,i am sure that the better players are doing it if their opponents dont mind it,or feel like it has any significance...just curious...I am getting ready to try and plot where they end up for a 100 racks or so, each tables has approximately 32 segments if you connect the diamonds so i am going to keep track for 100 racks and see how many times a particular ball ends up in a certain segment,breaking from the same spot,hopefully a close speed and with a magic rack...hopefully i will learn something...if not that it doesnt make any difference,or too hard to control...wish me luck

If you can get a hold of the TAR DVD of SVB vs Donnie Mills you will see it can be done on almost every break. Johnnyt

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

here is a nice example of a soft break and pattern rack in 9-ball leading to a six-pack (jay and billy in the booth) you will see the pattern after the break is very repeatable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95t1Bp0bhOI&feature=c4-overview&playnext=1&list=TLAay8gG9M9Y4

for more info the TAR match already mentioned and ANY dvd of Corey playing in the US Open 9 Ball the year he won it... ( he all most shot the same balls in the same pocket or the entire tournament LOL)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This has been studied quite a bit already. Magic rack (or Sardo before that), pattern racking and softer breaks, all gone over already. There are diagrams around that show about where the balls head to on a break, for both 9 and 10 ball. Full rack is a bit tougher to plan out, but the first three and the back corner balls are pretty predicable.

Joe Tucker has a full instructional on racking/breaking that covers this, and you can find lots of examples on the forums and probably on YouTube.

Pse217

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been studied quite a bit already. Magic rack (or Sardo before that), pattern racking and softer breaks, all gone over already. There are diagrams around that show about where the balls head to on a break, for both 9 and 10 ball. Full rack is a bit tougher to plan out, but the first three and the back corner balls are pretty predicable.

Joe Tucker has a full instructional on racking/breaking that covers this, and you can find lots of examples on the forums and probably on YouTube.

I have Joe Tuckers video. The 9 ball racking/reading section was usful. He talks about the four ball track, what gaps to look for and where to break from when you find the gaps

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
If you're interested in more details, I have a breakdown of Dennis O's 9 break and runs using pattern rack
(though he tweaked the pattern here and there):

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=326246

Even a player of his skill never was able to get the EXACT same layout twice.
No 2 racks had the same balls in the same holes every time.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, if you want to know where pattern-racked balls tend to go, and how to rack them both offensive and defensively for when such a thing is allowed or tolerated, see the following video:

NV B.89 - 9-ball racking strategy, from VEPS V

Enjoy,
Dave