Paul Newman Interview in 1962 about playing Fast Eddie

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to respectfully agree to disagree. I dont think COM was Paul's best work, i think it was a lifetime achievement award.
Sir- the 86 award to Paul Newman for COM was NOT a Lifetime Oscar award- it was a specific category- best actor award - no one is saying it was Newman's best performance ever in a movie- it clearly was not! In 1986 the Academy deemed Paul the best actor in a movie that year.

DieselPete

Sir- the 86 award to Paul Newman for COM was NOT a Lifetime Oscar award- it was a specific category- best actor award - no one is saying it was Newman's best performance ever in a movie- it clearly was not! In 1986 the Academy deemed Paul the best actor in a movie that year.
Not that I want to weigh into this on either side, but I think that he knows that Newman won the Best Actor Award, specifically. I'm surmising that he means that it wasn't necessarily a worthy role for the award and that he got the nod based on his achievements in his career.

To make a determination of whether his career achievements helped him earn an award that he shouldn't or wouldn't have won otherwise, let's return to that year and see who he was up against in 1987. I'm not sure that any of these go down in history as particularly spectacular or more worthy:

WINNER​

PAUL NEWMAN​

The Color of Money

NOMINEES​

DEXTER GORDON​

'Round Midnight

BOB HOSKINS​

Mona Lisa

WILLIAM HURT​

Children of a Lesser God

JAMES WOODS​

Salvador

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that I want to weigh into this on either side, but I think that he knows that Newman won the Best Actor Award, specifically. I'm surmising that he means that it wasn't necessarily a worthy role for the award and that he got the nod based on his achievements in his career.

To make a determination of whether his career achievements helped him earn an award that he shouldn't or wouldn't have won otherwise, let's return to that year and see who he was up against in 1987. I'm not sure that any of these go down in history as particularly spectacular or more worthy:

WINNER​

PAUL NEWMAN​

The Color of Money

NOMINEES​

DEXTER GORDON​

'Round Midnight

BOB HOSKINS​

Mona Lisa

WILLIAM HURT​

Children of a Lesser God

JAMES WOODS​

Salvador
Yes, I would agree none of the male performances were so great that year, I would also agree that Newman receiving the award had a least something to do with him never winning in the past. I do think that Paul made the most of that script in terms of at least developing a character for us to get pulled into the movie beyond just Tom Cruise's antics.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hustler had a better story line.
It was in black and white which just added to the grittiness of the film.
I had a hard time just to finish watching COM.
I agree the Hustler had a better story line, and Newman and George C. were both outstanding. But COM has a lot going for it...the booze and how it continues to influence Eddies, turturo does a great job playing the smartass hustler that has moved on from booze to cocaine, the breakdown of how to make it on the road hustling, etc. A lot to like about both movies.

Also, I love the soundtrack and score for COM. I wish the movie would have had time to flesh out Amos a little more, as I always wonder about what life had in store for him.

71dewajack

Academy Awards are just a group of people making determinations, it's all personal preference. Newman was in a lot of classics, and he was a wonderful actor; Verdict, Cool Hand Luke, Hombre, The Sting, COM, The Hustler, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Slapshot, and the list goes on.

I think Scorsese did a fine job with Color of Money, and whether you like it or not, it had a great impact on teens and pool from that era. I remember begging my parents to buy me a Balabushka. They were kind enough to get me a McDermott cue. A few years after, I saved up and bought myself a Balabushka (not an original of course), basically because of that movie and what I had read in books.

Two great movies with some wonderful performances.

Pool Hand Luke

Color of Money…
When Eddie tells Vincent and Carmen to go it alone, Carmen takes the money, but Eddie keeps his Balabushka. Then when they play each other later in the semi final, Vincent has the exact same cue as Eddie. Never caught that until last night when I saw COM for the 11th time.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Color of Money…
When Eddie tells Vincent and Carmen to go it alone, Carmen takes the money, but Eddie keeps his Balabushka. Then when they play each other later in the semi final, Vincent has the exact same cue as Eddie. Never caught that until last night when I saw COM for the 11th time.
I know they were both Joss cues, but did not think they were identical. I am going to have to watch it again tonight.

gerryf

In COM, I thought all of Cruise's shots were pretty basic. But Newman had a couple of pretty good shots - first where he was doing the L drill he had a nice light draw, and secondly that long draw to bring the cue ball back and knock the 9 into the corner pocket.

DieselPete

The Hustler and Cool Hand Luke should have been best actor awards in my opinion

What a year (1967 awards)! Winning for Cool Hand Luke would have been a big ask, as much as I love that movie.

Winner:
Rod Steiger, Chief Gillespie, In the Heat of the Night

Other Nominees:
Warren Beatty, Clyde Barrow, Bonnie and Clyde
Dustin Hoffman, Benjamin Braddock, The Graduate
Spencer Tracy, Matt Drayton, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
Paul Newman, Lucas "Cool Hand Luke" Jackson, Cool Hand Luke

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This just came up in my YouTube recommendations. Seems to be the uncut version of "The Hustler". Usually on broadcast TV they cut out some scenes.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I liked the movie, The Hustler, better than the book...the ending in the book was far more negative.
....and I hated the fact that Eddy didn’t do anything about the scumbags who broke his thumbs.
i liked the book Color of Money more than the movie.
i hated the line where Eddy asks the guy if he’s a hustler...well, duh.

but I’m glad to have read both books and saw both movies. :)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to respectfully agree to disagree. I dont think COM was Paul's best work, i think it was a lifetime achievement award.
Of course COM was NOT Newman's best work! Nobody said it was! But he won the award for it bc the Academy deemed it the BEST male leading actor performance for 1986. Academy awards are annual events- you don't get an award just because it is your best work- it has to be considered THE best work in your category THAT year.

Unless, in some cases, folks feel the Academy is handing someone the award as a lifetime achievement award and really not for that specific performance. In either case, the award is NEVER based on rating one actor's performance against their own personal past performances.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent me scrambling to the Google machine.

Newman was nominated in 1962 for The Hustler (best actor) and lost to Maximilian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg). There was no nominee in that category from West Side Story. Interestingly there was a second nominee from Judgment at Nuremburg in the same category (Spencer Tracy).*

Other nominees from The Hustler were George C. Scott and Jackie Gleason (Actor in a Supporting Role), who lost to George Chakiris (West Side Story), Piper Laurie, who lost to Sophia Loren (Two Women), Art Direction for a Black and White (which did win), Cinematography for a Black and White (which did win), Directing (lost to West Side Story), Best Motion Picture (lost to West Side Story), Writing (screenplay based on another medium) which it lost to Judgment at Nuremburg.

So, The Hustler had nine nominations and two wins. Of the nine nominations, The Hustler lost to West Side Story (the BIG winner that year with eleven nominations and ten wins) in the following categories: Supporting Actor (two Hustler nominations), Directing, and Best Motion Picture. The Hustler was spared some of the West Side Story onslaught because there were a few different categories for black and white and color movies.

Other memorable films from that year were: Breakfast at Tiffany's (5 nominations, 2 wins), The Children's Hour (5 noms), Fanny (5 noms), Flower Drum Song (5 noms), The Guns of the Navarone (7 noms, 1 win), The Absent Minded Professor (3 noms), Judgment at Nuremburg (11 noms, 2 wins), La Dolce Vita (4 noms, 1 win), Pocketful of Miracles (3 noms), Summer and Smoke (4 noms).

*For more on multiple actors (including three!) being nominated from the same film in the same category, you can browse here:
La Dolce Vita? Anita Eckberg!! she gets my vote :) :)
a263b95290310d123062d7706d6bcb68.jpg

Reactions: JAM

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course COM was NOT Newman's best work! Nobody said it was! But he won the award for it bc the Academy deemed it the BEST male leading actor performance for 1986. Academy awards are annual events- you don't get an award just because it is your best work- it has to be considered THE best work in your category THAT year.

Unless, in some cases, folks feel the Academy is handing someone the award as a lifetime achievement award and really not for that specific performance. In either case, the award is NEVER based on rating one actor's performance against their own personal past performances.

Same goes for many actors. No one in their sane mind would say (I hope) that The Revenant is DiCaprio’s best performance.

To me Newman’s best work was The Verdict where he played a barrister (or whatever it’s called stateside) with a drinking problem. What a great movie! The Hustler is a close contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same goes for many actors. No one in their sane mind would say (I hope) that The Revenant is DiCaprio’s best performance.

To me Newman’s best work was The Verdict where he played a barrister (or whatever it’s called stateside) with a drinking problem. What a great movie! The Hustler is a close contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed(y)
Agreed, his roles in Cool Hand Luke and The Hustler were tremendous.
Agreed(y)