Phantom posts WFS

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ICBW:

Sometimes I look at For Sale threads...

Recently, often a 'latest' post cited on the thread page isn't posted in the thread. Nor is it posted/listed in 'see all posts by member', under 'statistics' when you visit the member's name /demographics page.

Story?

Admin aware?

Phantom post?

Is Verizon involved?

Is it like a 'pending' bank transaction? You know...like the bank transfer
that comes out of your account at Wells Fargo on Friday afternoon, but doesn't arrive at your Bank of America account until the next Wednesday?

Do posts, like some texts...just never arrive, though sent(per sender)? (Verizon reference)

Ornery electrons?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ICBW:

Sometimes I look at For Sale threads...

Recently, often a 'latest' post cited on the thread page isn't posted in the thread. Nor is it posted/listed in 'see all posts by member', under 'statistics' when you visit the member's name /demographics page.

Story?

Admin aware?

Phantom post?

Is Verizon involved?

Is it like a 'pending' bank transaction? You know...like the bank transfer
that comes out of your account at Wells Fargo on Friday afternoon, but doesn't arrive at your Bank of America account until the next Wednesday?

Do posts, like some texts...just never arrive, though sent(per sender)? (Verizon reference)

Ornery electrons?

From what I've got figured out, the box that shows 'last post' gets updated when the thread gets posted in. But unless the OP 'bumps' the thread, it remains wherever it was in the rotation.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
WFS threads can be bumped now without a post being made in the thread. It threw me off a few times too because the last actual post in some of the threads had a totally different time and date.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
WFS threads can be bumped now without a post being made in the thread. It threw me off a few times too because the last actual post in some of the threads had a totally different time and date.

I think this might be the explanation for what the OP is seeing.

On a separate note about "ghost posts", I have noticed that sometimes I see a post quoted by someone in a thread but the original post that was quoted does not show up anywhere in the thread. It is usually evident that they are quoting a post from that same thread and not from some other thread, yet the original post sometimes just isn't there/doesn't show up for me. And it is usually benign posts from benign posters so it doesn't appear to be a case where the post was removed or the poster was banned or anything like that. I see this relatively often in the main forum (and I think I have seen it in other forums also but can't remember for sure). It definitely seems that not all posts always show up in a thread. Has anyone else noticed this?

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Can you send me an example of this the next time you see it?

Mike

I think this might be the explanation for what the OP is seeing.

On a separate note about "ghost posts", I have noticed that sometimes I see a post quoted by someone in a thread but the original post that was quoted does not show up anywhere in the thread. It is usually evident that they are quoting a post from that same thread and not from some other thread, yet the original post sometimes just isn't there/doesn't show up for me. And it is usually benign posts from benign posters so it doesn't appear to be a case where the post was removed or the poster was banned or anything like that. I see this relatively often in the main forum (and I think I have seen it in other forums also but can't remember for sure). It definitely seems that not all posts always show up in a thread. Has anyone else noticed this?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
When a thread gets Bumped, with the new Bump feature, it shows last post as the Bump time, with no actual post taking place.

Read the Sticky thread on bumps in the WFS forum.