Piloted Ivory Joint or Flat Faced Ivory Joint

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im having a cue made and trying to decide if I want a big pin ivory joint or a piloted ivory joint. Just looking for some opinions.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Bavafongoul will sell you on this!!

I know Matt B will be here soon. He swears by big pin flat face ivory. Hey Matt I beat you to it. lol Tom

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im having a cue made and trying to decide if I want a big pin ivory joint or a piloted ivory joint. Just looking for some opinions.

I have had cues built and built them myself both ways. I don't really think you would feel any difference. The say, 5/16 x 14 pin + the insert is about equal to the big pin in weight.

The real difference you may think about would be a flat faced joint with a Titanium pin that would be very light. That may change the feel of the cue. Better or worse can be a matter of opinion.

DrGonzo

As your attorney...
Silver Member
For me, big pin, flat ivory joint. The only type of cue I will buy anymore.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a different view than the ones noted.

Lets say you were going to have Tasc build you one, I have him build his preferred joint (ivory piloted).

The JW cue I have is ivory flat face, because that is how Bill Stroud built them.

See my point?

Best of luck,

Ken

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

I don't understand why anybody would want a piloted ivory joint. There is no advantage and the disadvantage is the thinner walls at the piloted part of the ivory would be easier to chip or crack.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooter08 Is Right

Tom, you did beat me but that's only because I was distracted by answering this same thread posted in Ask The Cue-maker Section.
And I did disclose that I'm not a cue-maker and only a player & cue buyer/owner.

I won't impose upon the Az community to indulge a duplicate of what I already posted as my reply and instead, I'll cut to the chase.
I just traded a Paul Mottey cue with piloted ivory joint for the Ed Prewitt cue that has a 3/8x10 flat ivory joint.

Paul Mottey is famous for making really great piloted ivory cue joints. Nonetheless, flat ivory big pins just play better and as you can tell
from the cues in my signature, I put my money where my mouth. Personally speaking, flat ivory cue joint with big pin is the only way to go.

Matt B.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
For over 25 years I will say the same thing.. try one of each, and pick the one you like. I happen to think the Gus Szamboti style of 5/16 plays better than any. Sleeved, flat faced, etc...

But it is just one mans opinion.

JV

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I don't understand why anybody would want a piloted ivory joint. There is no advantage and the disadvantage is the thinner walls at the piloted part of the ivory would be easier to chip or crack.

Not if done the way Tascarella does them... thin stainless wall inside the pilot area to take the pressure off the inside of the pilot when you apply a compression fit with the shaft tongue. That tongue acts as a mini removable core... Best piloted ivory joint I've ever played with bar none...

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a different view than the ones noted.

Lets say you were going to have Tasc build you one, I have him build his preferred joint (ivory piloted).

The JW cue I have is ivory flat face, because that is how Bill Stroud built them.

See my point?

Best of luck,

Ken

Bob Frey is doing the cue for me.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Frey Is Akin To Tim Scruggs

I dunno 'bout u guys......but when I hear or think about a James White cue, Paul Mottey also comes to mind.

So when you wrote that Bob was making you a cue, the first thought that popped into my mind was Tim Scruggs.

Well, I just happen to own one of Tim's cues and it plays wonderfully & my Scruggs has a flat ivory joint with a radial pin.

So if I were in your shoes, there's no doubt I have Bob make the cue with a flat ivory joint instead of a piloted version.

Matt B.

Attachments

• MB Cue Collection (Assorted Photos) 010.jpg
    MB Cue Collection (Assorted Photos) 010.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 629
  • MB Cue Collection (Assorted Photos) 014.jpg
    MB Cue Collection (Assorted Photos) 014.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 524
  • MB Cue Collection (Assorted Photos) 006.jpg
    MB Cue Collection (Assorted Photos) 006.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom, you did beat me but that's only because I was distracted by answering this same thread posted in Ask The Cue-maker Section.
And I did disclose that I'm not a cue-maker and only a player & cue buyer/owner.

I won't impose upon the Az community to indulge a duplicate of what I already posted as my reply and instead, I'll cut to the chase.
I just traded a Paul Mottey cue with piloted ivory joint for the Ed Prewitt cue that has a 3/8x10 flat ivory joint.

Paul Mottey is famous for making really great piloted ivory cue joints. Nonetheless, flat ivory big pins just play better and as you can tell
from the cues in my signature, I put my money where my mouth. Personally speaking, flat ivory cue joint with big pin is the only way to go.

Matt B.
Right on Matt something like this:

Attachments

• GusTribjoint.jpg
    GusTribjoint.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 546

pookster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use to think 5/16x14 ivory pilot till I hit with the frey 3/8x10 solid ivory joint but either one is great.Personal reference sir

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like both
i want to buy piloted Mutey cues withivory joint hoppe style
my present mottey has the flat face
i like it too

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Jim,
I have 5/16 x 14 with a flat faced solid Ivory joint on one of my cues and it hits great. Add the big pin and Im sure it will be awesome. Ive always like the big pin.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Farr's Gorgeous Cue & Post

Wow......nice cue.......would love to see a close-up of those veneers.......Yesiree Bob.....I definitely share your opinion and taste in cues.

Matt B.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
im under the assumption that scruggs radial pin flat faced ivory joint cues are supposed to be the best hitting/playing version
ICBW
if thats true
thats the type of joint id have on my bob frey cue
one more comment
there has to be a reason you see more flat faced ivory joint cues than piloted ones
that my 3 cents worth
you get what you pay for.....:D

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both my Ginacues are piloted ivory. Here's one of them.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• DSC00482.JPG
    DSC00482.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 186
  • GC 4.jpg
    GC 4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 192